Taking Anatomy and Physiology through an Anthropology Department

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychdream

Reaction score
I'm strongly considering taking upper level Bio courses at a 4 year university. One course I wish to take is Human Anatomy and Physiology, preferably at a Pre-Med/Bio Major level as opposed to a course tailored to nursing students. I noticed at UAlbany that they do not offer their Anatomy and Physiology course through their Bio Department. Rather, it is offered through the Anthropology department.

I'm just a bit thrown off because I have never heard of a school offering Human Anatomy and Physiology through an Anthro department (at least it wasn't the case at my undergrad university or other colleges nearby).

However, I did see that it was also a requirement for the Human Biology BS degree for undergrads and that the course has Chem and Bio (apparently pre-med level from my quick look at the course descriptions) as prerequisites.

Would this course still count towards BCPM GPA in the AMCAS applications ? Would it be viewed any differently by the admissions staff at medical schools than if the course were offered through the Bio Department?

Members don't see this ad.

It should count.

Math is the designator in BCPM. My Stats course had STAT in the name as my university was large enough to have its own statistics department. That still counted toward BCMP, even though it was STAT 101, not MATH 101. Same in your case. Just because it's something like ANTH 301 instead of BIO 301 shouldn't make a difference. It's the course content, not the offering department.

Reactions: 1 user