Technology Tablet PC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwakster928

A Legal Drug Dealer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you guys own tablet pc (laptop that you can write on the screeen) how good are they? is it good for note taking?

Members don't see this ad.

kwakster928 said:
do you guys own tablet pc (laptop that you can write on the screeen) how good are they? is it good for note taking?

I don't own one, but I was playing around with one and I would actually consider using it. It took notes in real time and you were able to draw pictures as well. The main issue is $$$$

I've read that you can make notations on powerpoint files, so it's just like writing on your handouts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried out a Toshiba tablet. Writing with the wand was like trying to write with a blunt, fat crayon while wearing thick mittens.

kwakster928 said:
I have a Motion M1300 tablet pc. Right now I am at a summer school, and I am using it for taking notes. I haven't decided if I will do it for medical school or not. There are definite advantages and disadvantages.

The biggest advantage is that all my notes will always be on my computer and accessible. The ability to search is amazing. I can type in a word and it will look through ALL my notes, including handwritten ones, and show me the hits in a really convenient way. Also if I am sitting in class, then I'm right there on the internet at the same time, I can be looking things up, and so on. It's especially convenient with radiology notes because they look so crummy when they are printed. I can scan in whatever I want from textbooks so that I always have everything that I need with me.

The biggest disadvantage is that the resolution is not as good as writing on real paper. It definitely is not as bad as the crayon/mitten comment above, at least on newer tablets, but it's also definitely not as good as paper. The second disadvantage is that you can't look at two pieces of paper side by side as you can with real paper. The third disadvantage, for me, is that I have a really good and really defined notetaking system that I developed over four years of undergrad, and with my tablet I will have to develop a whole new system, which may or may not work as well for me.

I like my tablet, and I'm happy I got it. Tabletpcbuzz.com is a great site to read through if you want to know more about tablets

I used my Acer 302 for a biochem class at PCOM last week and found taht the mote taking was great. I was albe to follow the lecture better as I was taking notes on the power points. Whever a giagra, needed to be anotated I was able to just add what I needed to as opposed to drawing everything and missing some stuff. There is no need to print out the powerpoints and take notes on them, saves money on paper, organizing classes/lectures is a snap. Over all I think that this is going to be the future of note taking and more precisly medical records.

I have been using GoBinder for note organization and it is great.