Switching Residency Programs as PGY 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sitara716

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a PGY-1 very unhappy in my residency program. Just not a good match. I would like to transfer to another institution in the speciality as soon as possible. any advice on how to approach this? any issues here? any ideas on how to pursue this without jeapordizing my current spot? I know the first step is trying to secure another spot. but at what point do I need to let my current program know, assuming I land a spot? is it possible to switch from one PGY-1 spot to another PGY-1 spot without sacrificing too much time? please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are multiple threads about this which you can search for. In general, all you need to do is find another program with an open PGY-2 position. There is no central list of such programs, so you'll need to simply contact those in which you are interested. If you can find an open PGY-2 in July, you won't lose any time and stay right on track.

You will need to tell your PD at some point, and it's only fair that your PD have a chance to find someone to fill your empty spot. In general, you should plan on giving your PD at least 120 days notice. Realistically, you'll need to tell your PD much sooner as many PD's will not be willing to interview you without speaking to your PD first. This can lead to a tough spot -- you tell your PD that you;re thinking of leaving, you interview for other spots, don't get one, and then stay at your program (where your PD now knows you don't want to be). Even worse, your PD may decide to force you to resign your spot for next year while you're still waiting to find out if you have a new spot -- that could leave you with nothing if a new spot doesn't come through.

any chance to change as a PGY-1? i.e. transfer during the internship year into a different PGY1 program? please advise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know about transferring to PGY1, but there is a website called residentswap.org which you can sign up for. It does cost money, but will probably be worth it for you. You will find other residents who are trying to 'swap' from their program and find someone else to take their spot so they can take theirs.
Good luck. And what specialty are you in?

If you are an osteopathic intern, we have an open osteopathic PGY-1 position in Niagara Falls, NY. Interested?

Robin
Osteopathic PGY-2

I am very interested. But I am an allopath. I understand that allopaths can do osteopaths. Is this position still available? Thanks.

I'm sorry but you have that reversed.

Medical students graduating from an osteopathic medical school can do allopathic residents. Not the reverse.

In addition to the medical education that is the same, we have extra training in Osteopathic Principles and Practices.

After we satisfy our requirement for internship, we can do allopathic or osteopathic residencies.

Sorry and Good Luck!