Switch From IM to Radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Know_body

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently a PGY-2 at a top tier IM program. I went into internal medicine with the goal of sub-specializing, but I realized the sub specialty I wanted to go into isn’t everything that I had envisioned. As a resident in medicine, I’m becoming jaded by the constant stream of patients with psych/social issues, pain medication seekers, and surgery dumps.

When I had been applying to residency, radiology had been my second choice. I love tech, prefer to work alone and enjoy reviewing radiology images. I didn’t apply to this field because I was afraid of overall job prospects and decreasing compensation.

My question is, threefold:

1. Should I stay in medicine or try to switch into a radiology program?

2. Given that I am halfway done with PGY2, should I just finish IM residency and try to apply into radiology after I graduate?

3. How would I even try to reapply for radiology residency? Where should I look to get LOR? Would I still even be competitive at this point?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are at a top tier IM program, you likely have a top tier Radiology program. Talk to the PD of the Rads program and just make a lateral move at the end of the year, you will only be 1 year behind.

Reactions: 1 user
1) That's up to you.
2) Once again up to you. If you are 100% set on Radiology you should try to get into the field sooner rather than later.
3) You could go through the match again (with the 1 year delay) or find a spot outside the match (only likely to be at programs that didn't fill or had someone drop out). You would likely be mid to low tier competitive.

Last edited:
I am in a similar situation and have similar questions. I will be graduating from my Internal Medicine Program in July, 2020 and have decided to make the switch to Radiology. I have have a couple of friends that are currently in the Radiology program at my home institution and they have offered to help me find some publications and put together some radiology specific research. My current plan is to remain in academics and work as a hospitalist in the meantime, but I hope to use my off weeks to work on research, find letters of recommendation, and gain more experience with radiology.

I am hoping to get some advice as to what else I should do to optimize my chances of matching in next year's match. Any input from current Residents/Radiologists would be greatly appreciated!

I am in a similar situation and have similar questions. I will be graduating from my Internal Medicine Program in July, 2020 and have decided to make the switch to Radiology. I have have a couple of friends that are currently in the Radiology program at my home institution and they have offered to help me find some publications and put together some radiology specific research. My current plan is to remain in academics and work as a hospitalist in the meantime, but I hope to use my off weeks to work on research, find letters of recommendation, and gain more experience with radiology.

I am hoping to get some advice as to what else I should do to optimize my chances of matching in next year's match. Any input from current Residents/Radiologists would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not really involved with admissions anymore but doing little Radiology projects in your spare time as an IM Attending seems kind of dumb to be honest. I doesn't seem genuine. I'd just do some shadowing and make sure you have a believable story about wanting to do Radiology (not just running away from IM) and go from there.

Hi. I am in similar position too. I am currently PGY-2 IM resident. I want to switch to radiology. Asking for some advice. Thank you.

Maybe start your own thread. You might get more info. The OP was last seen almost 2 years ago. Good luck.
Update, I spoke with my mentors and did some radiology shadowing. Decided to stick with IM and subspecialize in Cardiology. I am currently very satisfied with the choice I made!

Reactions: 4 users
Update, I spoke with my mentors and did some radiology shadowing. Decided to stick with IM and subspecialize in Cardiology. I am currently very satisfied with the choice I made!
Good choice