Swedish, rumors or fact?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

densmore22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I know the whole residency ranking thing has been and is being beat to death and this really has nothing to do with the numerical ranking of Swedish, since no real ranking system exists for residency programs.

I've been hearing from a lot of people in my class and the 2nd year class as well and people on here saying that Swedish is not a quality program (or at least not what it used to be). I think people tell me about Swedish more because I am from the Seattle area and yes, I would love to do a residency back home. But I just want to find out peoples opinions on why Swedish is slipping? I have my own gut feelings and that would be that they have a profound lack of trauma cases that they see. What people might not understand (and myself included) is that Swedish isn't the "main" hospital in Seattle, the level 1 there is Harborview and it works in conjunction w/ U of Wa SOM, it's considered by many one of the top hospitals in the United States and furthermore, it is one of the top Orthopedic Residencies in the U.S. I mean everything from Southern Alaska, Northern Idaho, British Columbia, Eastern WA and Western Montana gets flown to Harborview. With this being said, I feel that Swedish is getting a bad rap because people were expecting a lot of trauma surgery to be had there by the Podiatry Residents where I feel that Swedish is more equiped for congenital reconstructions and rearfoot deformities more than trauma. I don't know if this clears anything up with misconceptions, but yeah, I am just curious about what people think and more so the reasons behind what they are saying.

Thanks,

Dens

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I know the whole residency ranking thing has been and is being beat to death and this really has nothing to do with the numerical ranking of Swedish, since no real ranking system exists for residency programs.

I've been hearing from a lot of people in my class and the 2nd year class as well and people on here saying that Swedish is not a quality program (or at least not what it used to be). I think people tell me about Swedish more because I am from the Seattle area and yes, I would love to do a residency back home. But I just want to find out peoples opinions on why Swedish is slipping? I have my own gut feelings and that would be that they have a profound lack of trauma cases that they see. What people might not understand (and myself included) is that Swedish isn't the "main" hospital in Seattle, the level 1 there is Harborview and it works in conjunction w/ U of Wa SOM, it's considered by many one of the top hospitals in the United States and furthermore, it is one of the top Orthopedic Residencies in the U.S. I mean everything from Southern Alaska, Northern Idaho, British Columbia, Eastern WA and Western Montana gets flown to Harborview. With this being said, I feel that Swedish is getting a bad rap because people were expecting a lot of trauma surgery to be had there by the Podiatry Residents where I feel that Swedish is more equiped for congenital reconstructions and rearfoot deformities more than trauma. I don't know if this clears anything up with misconceptions, but yeah, I am just curious about what people think and more so the reasons behind what they are saying.

Thanks,

Dens

I think you hit the nail on the head. Having no surgical experience, just observational. A lot of trauma cases are cake. I've seen ankle fractures that are fixated in 20 minutes.

I would not worry. They won most of the research awards at ACFAS. Most of the "top programs" on the list didn't even make a showing. Maybe they are too busy to do research but I think research is a must if you want to call yourself a top tier program.

Thanks,

Dens

The only way to find out is to go and extern there. If you like it, great. If you don't, then you'll know.

Feelgood, while I feel that research is extremely important for the profession, I don't think it is too important during residency. You have your entire career to do research. You only have 3 years to get your surgical training. While there are exceptions (and you may very well be it), MOST podiatric physicians will be hired for there clinical/surgical abilities and not for research. Again we have both seen exceptions to this but most of the time, this is the case.

That being said, I'm required to do research during my residency. Let's get together and do something totally crazy :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
The only way to find out is to go and extern there. If you like it, great. If you don't, then you'll know.

Feelgood, while I feel that research is extremely important for the profession, I don't think it is too important during residency. You have your entire career to do research. You only have 3 years to get your surgical training. While there are exceptions (and you may very well be it), MOST podiatric physicians will be hired for there clinical/surgical abilities and not for research. Again we have both seen exceptions to this but most of the time, this is the case.

That being said, I'm required to do research during my residency. Let's get together and do something totally crazy :laugh:

What are your opinions or what have you heard from other 4th years that externed there? Or give me some names so that I can ask them myself. I just want to do a little research. I totally know that, just like picking a school to attend, picking a residency is in large part based on personal preference, I'm just curious and trying not to study path right now. Thanks.

See to me, I disagree. Residency is the only time most people do research. I've heard the DMC talks, your third year is not packed with surgical cases. They pick and choose the best cases. The rest of the time they are doing fellowships, writing papers and case studies and looking for jobs. I look at many of the big programs that we listed INOVA does a rotation at Georgetown to do research, Tucker residents do a ton of research. West Penn is always well published. I could go on and on.

I agree that your surgical numbers are important but I also look at how well rounded the program is. You've got place's like the Lawn's where you'll see a ton of trauma i.e. ankle fractures, pilion, ect, or a ton of diabetic surgery, but some places don't have a ton of elective forefoot surgery.

To each their own.

I don't know much about the program but if you would like to learn Swedish I can teach you.:)

The soccer team Ajax is dutch, but swedes have a washing powder called Ajax pronounced I-ax :D

Dutch, Swedish it is all foreign to me. Just a bunch of blond hair blue eyed freaks if you ask me. :D

I do love Swedish fish though, I wonder if that makes be a hypocrite?

Dutch, Swedish it is all foreign to me. Just a bunch of blond hair blue eyed freaks if you ask me. :D

I do love Swedish fish though, I wonder if that makes be a hypocrite?

I think swedish fish are really swedish. They sell them at Ikea in the market place. If they sell it at Ikea then it must be authentically swedish.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Have you Iowans ever been to an Ikea? They do not have many in the midwest.

Yet another good reason that I am going to Virginia instead of Florida. No Ikeas in Florida. I am not sure if there is an Ikea in N. VA but there is one near College Park in MD! I do not know how I would survive without an Ikea?:confused: Even online shopping there is just not the same thing.

ANd... I love how feelgood always hijacks the threads so we can talk about way more fun and useless stuff.

IKEA is the best. It is the closest thing to being in the country when it comes to Swedish Meatballs (Except for my mom's of course). They do make Swedish Fish in Sweden.

Members don't see this ad :)
IKEA is the best. It is the closest thing to being in the country when it comes to Swedish Meatballs (Except for my mom's of course). They do make Swedish Fish in Sweden.

Maybe I do like Sweden. I love the meatballs, and the candy fish. I don't know of IKEA but I have heard of them. Similar to a Lowe's from what I understand.

Maybe I do like Sweden. I love the meatballs, and the candy fish. I don't know of IKEA but I have heard of them. Similar to a Lowe's from what I understand.

What.....?????????

How can you compare a lumb ar yard type store to a store that sells cheap furniture in bright colors and fun shapes with even funner names?

Totally not the same. And yes I said funner.

What.....?????????

How can you compare a lumb ar yard type store to a store that sells cheap furniture in bright colors and fun shapes with even funner names?

Totally not the same. And yes I said funner.

Now way. Lowe's is more than a yard store. They are the home remodelers dream. And they have the funnest names ever, like GE and 2 by 4's.

Now way. Lowe's is more than a yard store. They are the home remodelers dream. And they have the funnest names ever, like GE and 2 by 4's.

I just went on the Ikea website to do some pre-moving window shopping (schmying in yiddish).

The names are way better than 2x4. You can not beat Kullen, Hopen, Hemnes, Leksvik, Aneboda and many more. Just unbeatable. And instead of GE they have Mumsig.

Ikea does not sell plain wood or paint. It sells furniture and other household goodies. After a trip to their website at www.ikea.com you will understand.

Try hard to resist buying online because sometimes it is hard for them to deliver. And the experience of shopping in the store is unmissable. You just haven't lived without a trip to Ikea.

I went to Gustavus Adolphus College in MN for undergrad and our school was named after a Swedish king. It sounds a little weird, but with all of the gorgeous blond haired blue eyed girls on campus I wasn't complaining. I even ended up marrying one of them.:D Swedes rule.

Legacy/Kaiser - portland,OR won 1st in a catagory and had 3 posters!!!

If you decide to extern there pay attention to what the residents are doing, not how much they let you do. I know that some top rated students matched there, so just being with them would make the program kick ass

If you decide to extern there pay attention to what the residents are doing, not how much they let you do. I know that some top rated students matched there, so just being with them would make the program kick ass

Legacy was another program that I saw at ACFAS and did well. PSL also had a few posters in at the conference.

If you think those that matched at legacy are top rated - whoa? What is this profession coming too? :laugh: (sarcasm)

I went to Gustavus Adolphus College in MN for undergrad and our school was named after a Swedish king. It sounds a little weird, but with all of the gorgeous blond haired blue eyed girls on campus I wasn't complaining.

I graduated from GAC as well...and I definitly agree with the comment! Oh, and the Ikea in Minneapolis is crazy! BUT, if you are even a little bit claustrophobic you should definitly stay away from this store because I have never seen more people in one area in my life...though the furniture is great and very inexpensive. :thumbup: