Surgical research impact on IM residency application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanderer HitchHiker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should ask this here or at the general residency forums. I currently have the chance to work on a lab research project concerned with specific kind of tumors. The point is that this project is performed in the general surgery department. My target is to enhance my future chances of getting an oncology fellowship as well as my chances to get a decent IM residency.
Will this be of any value for my goals?
I'll be working with excellent surgeons, will their LORs be beneficial to my IM residency application?
I'm really confused and any advice will be highly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most people view research as research. It’s totally fine and if it’s a good opportunity, you should take it. It certainly won’t hurt you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if I should ask this here or at the general residency forums. I currently have the chance to work on a lab research project concerned with specific kind of tumors. The point is that this project is performed in the general surgery department. My target is to enhance my future chances of getting an oncology fellowship as well as my chances to get a decent IM residency.
Will this be of any value for my goals?
I'll be working with excellent surgeons, will their LORs be beneficial to my IM residency application?
I'm really confused and any advice will be highly appreciated
Having any research experience on your ERAS application is a plus. If you can present it... great, if you can publish an abstract... greater, if you can get your name on a paper... greatest. The subject is kinda irrelevant...

Reactions: 1 user