Surgical Oncology Fellowship (08/2022 Start) Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peacecraft

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time again... applications are closed and the waiting is on. I thought we should start a thread for updates. These seem to be somewhat useful or at least distracting while we wait. Perhaps there are some good tips to be shared regarding Zoom etiquette in this... atypical match cycle.

Good luck everyone, and stay safe!

Heard from:
- MCW
- Wake Forest
- Aurora
- Roswell Park
- Tennessee
- Temple/Fox-Chase

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to hear that I'm not the only one who hasn't heard from a ton of programs yet for fellowship.

So far I have heard from:
-Aurora
-Roswell Park
-Tennessee
-Roger Williams

I'm curious if programs do a rolling interview cycle or send out interviews once and that is it.

The only good ideas that I have for Zoom etiquette is to manage your background, elevate your computer so that the camera is at eye level and have good lighting.

Last edited:
Was wondering when this thread would pop up! Looking forward to many awkward Zoom cocktail hours with you guys over the next couple months.

In addition to above, at least some interview invites have come out for
- Hopkins
- UNC
- Mt Sinai
- U of Chicago

Members don't see this ad :)
Advice from a 2nd year surg onc fellow who has done zoom-a-thon interviewing once before last year and will again this year, and has been doing it for job interviews:

Be patient.
Don’t judge the older attendings on their zoom appearance, some of them still struggle to get the mic not centered on their chin some times. It doesn’t reflect their wisdom or operating skills at all. (It may reflect their robot skills. 😝)
Wear pants.
Don’t feel that you are at a disadvantage by doing this remotely, we actually liked and ranked many of our second round applicants higher last year than the in person ones.
Don’t feel like we get to know you any more or less, it was about as rushed and equivalent as every other year and interview has ever been.

If anyone has other questions feel free to ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Also heard from:

-Wake Forest
-Louisville
-Brigham
-Hopkins
-British Columbia
-Calgary

- MSK
- City of Hope

If my list is right from combining everybody's responses above, I think every US program is out now except for MD Anderson and Cedars-Sinai?

Good luck everybody!

- MSK
- City of Hope

If my list is right from combining everybody's responses above, I think every US program is out now except for MD Anderson and Cedars-Sinai?

Good luck everybody!
Anyone heard from MDA yet?

It has been a few years (2017-18?) since a couple of interviewees shared their very helpful thoughts and experiences on programs and interviewing. Would anyone be willing to share their experience and thoughts from this year or last year?