Surgeon Insuarance (not malpractice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlbertConstable

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The thread about age in NS practice and arthritis got me thinking...

What's the story with insuarance for surgeons for things that might cause injury to their hands rendering them unable to perform? Does this insuarance apply to arthritis, etc?

Is there a general form of "surgeon's insuarance" or is it just a very specific contract written out for each case? (and who writes the insuarance?)

What percentage of surgeons do you think have this type of insuarance and how much does it cost on average?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Its called disability insurance.Sold by Insurance agents or organizations like the AMA.It covers you if you develpo a medical problem that keeps you from working.Cost depends on the amount of coverage to cover lost income.Aprox 1-2K per year premiums,more or less depending on the specifics of the coverage.It's an absolute must to get it!

Most employers will cover diasbility insurance. However, most disability insurance has two problems...it takes a while before it begins (i.e., you can't be out of work for a week and start receiving disability) and it almost never covers your salary completely, perhaps half i you're lucky. You can purchase supplemental disability insurance to both start earlier than your company's insurance would start and cover more of your lost salary due to illness or injury.

Yes, it is true most if not all groups cover disability...However, look closely into this. It is a VERY wise idea to get a private INDIVIDUAL disability plan before you get a GROUP disability plan.....THis way, if you are ever unlucky enough to have to collect, both will pay out. For those finishing residency....talk to a financial planner about this before you sign....Once you sign, you won't be able to collect on the individual......Look into this further if you do not understand.....