supplemental Qbank other than UW during third year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdk322

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I just started my first rotation (gen surg) about a week ago.
I read up on what others did to prepare for surgery shelf but I couldn't find a lot of opinion (especially current) on supplemental Qbank other than UW to use during third year (nobody compared Kaplan vs. Rx vs. etc)

Consensus seems to be that most ppl used UW and UW only for majority as far as Qs go. From my step 1 prep I know I learn by doing a ****load of questions (I did Kaplan x2, UW x2, Rx). Do you guys recommend any Qbank in addition to UW? I just don't learn as much from reading alone. My shelves are mostly NBMEs except FM if that matters.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Typically no one recommends other qbanks because not many do them. The specific shelf forums will give you other recommended resources. Some review "books" are question-based if it's really the only way you can learn (Pretest, Case Files). IMO don't try to reinvent the wheel for rotations. Stick to online meded, UW and the top 1-2 recommended additional resources and don't waste time on others unless you're struggling. Probably a good idea to learn to learn by reading because you're going to need that skill in residency and beyond.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @pd1112 ! You're totally right that's probably why I couldn't find any info on this.

Just like pd112 said, you don't have to buy a second Qbank if you want more questions. Pretest series has decent (some better than others) question books for all major rotations, and review books like Case Files and Blueprints have questions within them. You can also check out MKSAP question book for students for Medicine and Neuro shelf prep.

I actually used ExamGuru for surgery and it was meh. Definitely not the UWorld quality of questions (more like USMLERx), many easy straightforward questions, many questions on the same easy straightforward concepts, but also some WTF questions that are either too detailed or for which more than one answer is correct.
That said, I've heard good things about ExamGuru for psychiatry and I'm planning to use it for psych since I'm really interested in the specialty and want to crash the shelf, so I'll use anything :)