suny downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radonco

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
heyyy...i was wondering if anyone knows anything more about this program.....about suny downstate....i talked to 2 of the attendings at memorial and one other well respected rad onc who told me that they thought that downstate would be tied for second with columbia as the second best in NY because of the exposure they get and the teaching..they said that when their residents go out they are really qualified and get great jobs.....anyone heard similar stuff.....someone had wrote something else on this foreum, so i wanted to give my 2 cents about what i hear

thanks guys...this is a great site

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Rotman is an Astro Goldmedalist from Downstate; one of the posters on this forum is also a member there and perhaps will be able to give you an inside scoop.

Hey,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I've been in Ohio doing a rad onc rotation at the Cleveland Clinic. As Steph alluded to, I am a student at Downstate and have a bit of experience with the department. I think it is a great program as I said in a previous post (though I was a little miffed by the context in which it came up before - unfortunately I think that came across some in the tone of my reply). Good points at the program include incredible teaching, broad clinical experience, great hands on training with lots of resident responsibility, and strong attendings (this includes Dr. Rotman, a prominent rad onc figure and ASTRO gold medalist, and Dr. Harrison at Beth Isreal, as in Harrison of Harrison's Head and Neck Cancer). Weaker points include less technology than you may find at other big centers, less peds than I personally would like, and relatively few single-center trials/research are ongoing. Hope that helps.

If you have more specific questions, fire away.

thanx for the info, i was wondering if you know how many spots they take this year, it is one of my top choices, I want to estimate my chances this year, what are they looking for exactly......stuff like that,any more infor would be great. How many will they interview this year? thanx again