SUNY Downstate Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BGGA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've finally made my decision, and I believe Downstate will be the best place for me. Who's joining me?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in too. Made my decision a week ago. See you in August!

I've also decided on Downstate... soo excited I'll see everyone on Aug 15th!

Members don't see this ad :)
DrBean09 said:
I've also decided on Downstate... soo excited I'll see everyone on Aug 15th!

we have to decide by the 15th right? We have to let all other schools know that we are withdrawing from them and going to downstate? Is there some official procedure?

superso said:
we have to decide by the 15th right? We have to let all other schools know that we are withdrawing from them and going to downstate? Is there some official procedure?

I don't believe there is an official procedure. I'm just going to send a letter to the admissions offices, thank them for their consideration and politely withdraw. I believe my deposit is refundable from all the other schools :)

Hey have any of you guys taken the AHA requirement for Downstate? I was trying to figure out which course we are supposed to be taking. It's the ACLS one right?

This is the first time I'm hearing about it. How were you notified of the requirement?

BGGA said:
This is the first time I'm hearing about it. How were you notified of the requirement?

I believe it was in our acceptance package. There was a letter that lists all of our requirements such as submitting transcripts, completing the health forms...

meddie said:
I believe it was in our acceptance package. There was a letter that lists all of our requirements such as submitting transcripts, completing the health forms...

Yeah I have to take a closer look at that tonight. I was accepted early fall and I haven't thoroughly looked through the packet since :oops:

Thanks for the info BGGA. I guess nobody here has taken it yet so it would be pointless to ask how it was..

Anywho, hope all is well.

hey guys. I 2 have been accepted but cannot makeup my mind just yet. Im wondering if any of you picked this school over nymc and if so why (besides tuition i guess). :)

pdude said:
hey guys. I 2 have been accepted but cannot makeup my mind just yet. Im wondering if any of you picked this school over nymc and if so why (besides tuition i guess). :)

I did not apply to NYMC, but my firend was faced with the same decision last year and decided on Downstate. The main factor is the money, that is if you are a NY state resident (If out-of-state, I believe you can get NY residency after your first year and pay in-state for the remaining 3 years). You'll save 70K outright after four years, not taking into account the interest that will accrue during school and residency. Also, I think Downstate has a better match, which is something to consider. These were the most important reasons to me and is why I decided on Downstate as well.

NYMC is in a better location (you can have a car), you do your clincals in the city, and I believe trains you better for Step 1. However, I think this was in a large part due to their Path professor, who is no longer teaching at NYMC. Also, the class at NYMC is more close knit, since most students live near or on campus. Downstate has many commuters and their students are more scattered.

Good Luck with your decision and maybe I'll see you in August!

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of commuters, is anyone considering living off campus? If I get my single room assignment then I will most likely be on campus for the first year but after that I'm not sure.

There's also the issue of the environment at the school in terms of your career: NYMC has a much stronger primary care push than does Downstate, where specialization is encouraged. Depends on what you want to do.

And by the way, I wish I knew how to advise myself! All of you who decided on Downstate- which schools were you deciding between? I'm split down the middle between Downstate and Tulane. I've posted about this in other sections, so I don't want to be repetitive, but maybe those of you who have actually made the choice can send me your though. Damn my gut instinct! It's supposed to be speaking to me by now!!!

hey thanx for the reply. Ye the more I think about it, the more I find myself favoring downstate. Btw, I can't seem to find any info on off campus housing @ their site. I have applied for on campus but a friend of mine (1st yr) tells me on campus housing is rather poor there. Are any of you guys planning an off campus excursion from the get go and if so, where? I also would love having a car around but I know parking is a huge issue. Any ideas?

thanx. again:)

I'm told that if you go to the residence hall office they will provide you with information on off campus housing. I'm hoping to get a studio single for first year, even though I'm told my chances are slim :( . If it doesn't happen then I'll be apartment hunting. I'm not sure what I'm doing with my car. It seems like parking would be a real issue. If I can get a place with a driveway that would be great but we'll see what happens. As far as areas to look for a place, i've heard Park Slope, Prospect heights and Borough park all mentioned.

Hi everyone, I'll also be attending Downstate this August. Looking forward to meeting everyone. BGGA, who told you have a slim chance for getting a single studio? I called housing yesterday and they said most people get their first choice, I also put down that I want a single studio. Did housing misinform me? Dpes anyone know if Downstate puts out a list of people looking for apartments to help students find roommates?

The housing is assigned by a some sort of lottery system. And seniority determines how likely your are going to get your housing preference. Since we are MS1 we get the last shot at the housing available after the MS4's MS3's and MS2's have had their pick. I asked someone in the housing office (Anthony, I think he is the director) what chance I have of getting a single. He didn't really give me an optimistic answer he just said that he had 'a few' freshmen this year that were in singles. Maybe it was the way that I took it but I'm not completely confident that I will get one. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Orbitz said:
Hi everyone, I'll also be attending Downstate this August. Looking forward to meeting everyone. BGGA, who told you have a slim chance for getting a single studio? I called housing yesterday and they said most people get their first choice, I also put down that I want a single studio. Did housing misinform me? Dpes anyone know if Downstate puts out a list of people looking for apartments to help students find roommates?

holy canoli, i wanted to get a standard single and i hope i get it. i gave them the form today when i was around and they sounded like it was pretty much sure that i could get it

That's great. Maybe I just got the wrong impression of the likelihood of freshmen getting single rooms. Well we get our room assignments in June. Lets hope all goes well.

BGGA said:
That's great. Maybe I just got the wrong impression of the likelihood of freshmen getting single rooms. Well we get our room assignments in June. Lets hope all goes well.

Does anyone know if downstate puts out a list of people who are looking for roommates and apartments? If i don't get a single studio, I will have to start searching for an apartment, preferably park slope. How are you guys planning on finding roommates? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Orbitz said:
Does anyone know if downstate puts out a list of people who are looking for roommates and apartments? If i don't get a single studio, I will have to start searching for an apartment, preferably park slope. How are you guys planning on finding roommates? Please let me know.

Thanks!

I want to find a roomate(s) too. I think its def better to share a nice apt then pay all that $ for a single on-campus. You can get a pretty kick ass place for the price of a on campus single (11,286/year standard single - 14,760/year studio single). It is realistic that a pretty nice 2 or 3 bedroom will cost around 600-700 a month for each person. I already checked some places out on craigslist around that figure which look nice and are pretty close. Anyone intersted?

Orbitz said:

Thanks!

I called the housing office, they do not provide a list of people looking for roommates but they emailed me a list of off campus housing options. The list was okay but my search on craiglist was better. I'm not sure how incoming students are supposed to find roommates :confused:

BGGA said:
I called the housing office, they do not provide a list of people looking for roommates but they emailed me a list of off campus housing options. The list was okay but my search on craiglist was better. I'm not sure how incoming students are supposed to find roommates :confused:

Hey I'm also looking to find an apartment in Park Slope with 1-2 roommates. From what I hear of the Downstate dorms, it pays to live off campus. But I would still like to live with fellow med students! If anyone is interested in meeting and looking for apartments together, send me a message.

I thought the housing lottery took place today, but I called to see if I could find out my assignment and spoke with someone that gave me the impression that it takes place on the 15th. Anyone know which date is correct?

I also thought today, because in the housing sheet that I got with my acceptance package, it says June 3rd. Thats strange that the lady said that....I'm gonna try to call on Monday.

I called again and spoke to someone else. The lottery did take place today but they can't give out the assignment over the phone. I was told that we should receive the letter in the mail by the 13th. Good luck to all.

nkhotakota said:
Hey have any of you guys taken the AHA requirement for Downstate? I was trying to figure out which course we are supposed to be taking. It's the ACLS one right?

Hi Fellow DSers,

I thought that this class was one that they gave you during orientation and that we did not have to take it on our own...

Im pretty sure we have to take it on our own. I called up and asked what I still needed to submit and I was told I needed to take a BLS course.

superso said:
Im pretty sure we have to take it on our own. I called up and asked what I still needed to submit and I was told I needed to take a BLS course.

ditto... says in my letter to have certification of having taken the BLS course by August 1st.

I was accepted to both NYMC and Downstate and ended up chosing Downstate. It's just superior in so many categories. First, the tuition is much cheaper. Also, at an NYMC interview, I was told that I will basically be working with "middle aged white men with heart problems". Meanwhile, Downstate offers a much more diverse patient experience. Their King's hospital is also understaffed, so 1st years get to work with patients right away. Additionally, I didn't like NYMC's location - it was too isolated for my taste (I don't drive) and it has a somewhat of a rural quiet feel. Downstate is still located in NY City in a populated area. Finally, I didn't like NYMC's Catholic slant. That's why I chose Downstate and I would highly recommend it.

I was accepted to Penn state pretty much on the day of my interview. I accepted Penn state and declined a few other schools I was accepted at. Downstate had me on waitlist forever and just the other day, informed me of my acceptance. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should choose downstate now, and I'm going to have to make a decision soon. I read a few of the prior posts about nymc and tulane vs. downstate. Has anyone here applied to penn state? If so, what ultimate decidiing factor caused you to choose downstate?

So far I've come to the conclusion that:
There's much clinical exposure in brooklyn due to the hospitals, but I believe penn state has a level 1 trama center. Brooklyn appears to have lively culture and much community involvement, and great cheaper tuition. Penn state is more pricey, but has great facilities and instruments.
What's both of their overall reputations and how much does that matter?

sokall12 said:
I was accepted to both NYMC and Downstate and ended up chosing Downstate. It's just superior in so many categories. First, the tuition is much cheaper. Also, at an NYMC interview, I was told that I will basically be working with "middle aged white men with heart problems". Meanwhile, Downstate offers a much more diverse patient experience. Their King's hospital is also understaffed, so 1st years get to work with patients right away. Additionally, I didn't like NYMC's location - it was too isolated for my taste (I don't drive) and it has a somewhat of a rural quiet feel. Downstate is still located in NY City in a populated area. Finally, I didn't like NYMC's Catholic slant. That's why I chose Downstate and I would highly recommend it.

1st years don't get to work with patients right away. And KCHC isn't all that "diverse."

Medicus said:
I was accepted to Penn state pretty much on the day of my interview. I accepted Penn state and declined a few other schools I was accepted at. Downstate had me on waitlist forever and just the other day, informed me of my acceptance. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should choose downstate now, and I'm going to have to make a decision soon. I read a few of the prior posts about nymc and tulane vs. downstate. Has anyone here applied to penn state? If so, what ultimate decidiing factor caused you to choose downstate?

So far I've come to the conclusion that:
There's much clinical exposure in brooklyn due to the hospitals, but I believe penn state has a level 1 trama center. Brooklyn appears to have lively culture and much community involvement, and great cheaper tuition. Penn state is more pricey, but has great facilities and instruments.
What's both of their overall reputations and how much does that matter?

If Downstate is significantly cheaper, you'd be a fool to choose Penn State. A "Level 1 trauma center"? Do you understand what that means? Virtually nothing as far as a medical student's education.

You go to med school to get into residency, and Downstate will get you into as good a residency program as any other school (except for the elite ones, where school name is an advantage).

What do you mean by "great instruments??" They've got some pretty awesome Kelly clamps at Downstate too.

downstateguy said:
What do you mean by "great instruments??" They've got some pretty awesome Kelly clamps at Downstate too.

LoL... harsh man. :rolleyes:

Medicus prob meant being at a level 1 trauma center = getting to see more "extreme" cases since that's where super critical trauma patients would be taken for care. i'd assume the same but then again, King's County seems to be as nitty gritty as it can get.

Whats up people. I just got the call for an acceptance. I am probably going to receive my admission package within the next week. Is there anything I need to do before I matriculate or can I go back to my pool? I am 85% sure I will be attending Downstate so I will probably see you guys this fall.

P.S. When is orientation and when do classes start?

Did anyone who was a first year who wanted a single studio get one?

Hey guys.. I am very interested in applying to Downstate next year. I was curious if you guys think that the early decision program is a good idea? why/why not? I realize this would be putting all my eggs in one basket, but I'd rather have a better shot at getting into a school that I'd actually like to attend. Thanks for any input!

downstateguy said:
1st years don't get to work with patients right away. And KCHC isn't all that "diverse."

I was told that from day 1 we had clinical exposure-- for first year meaning that we have a clinical preceptorship every other week with a doc. Am I misinformed?!?!?!

Just Applied said:
Whats up people. I just got the call for an acceptance. I am probably going to receive my admission package within the next week. Is there anything I need to do before I matriculate or can I go back to my pool? I am 85% sure I will be attending Downstate so I will probably see you guys this fall.

P.S. When is orientation and when do classes start?

You have to have a physical done by 7/1, and your CPR done (American Heart BLS) by 8/1. And make sure your financial aid is up to date with them.

Orientation is 8/15-8/18.

see you there!

steroplasma said:
Did anyone get their PRIME info. yet?

speak of the devil... PRIME username and password came by email today. :thumbup:

AHHH, ok i just got the phone call this morning that i was accepted off the wait list. At this point in the game i was so sure i was going to go to NYMC. I really do not know what to do. The woman called so damn early she woke me up.... Anyway, im very interested in attending downstate. The money is right, im not so sure of the curriculum. Can anyone please give me some advice, ive been reading the boards here for months, and really never thought i would be one of those people. I have 2 weeks to make up my mind. Insight? :confused:

brewcow said:
Did anyone who was a first year who wanted a single studio get one?

I got the studio, I'm class of 2009. Its very expensive! $10,666 for 2 semesters (9 months).

I was accepted in downstate in march and just got called yesterday 7/5 for suny upstate. Does anyone know which school is better in terms of getting into competitive residency programs? I'm trying to think of the next step! Or any other advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks for any insights you can provide!

cbcgingko said:
I was accepted in downstate in march and just got called yesterday 7/5 for suny upstate. Does anyone know which school is better in terms of getting into competitive residency programs? I'm trying to think of the next step! Or any other advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks for any insights you can provide!

I think that they're comparable...it's just a matter of where you want to be--Syracuse or Brooklyn/NYC? I would go with Downstate (I'm going there myself). My PCP actually went to Upstate, but he actually wanted to go to Downstate (but didn't get in). Go where you think would make you happiest!

cbcgingko said:
I got the studio, I'm class of 2009. Its very expensive! $10,666 for 2 semesters (9 months).

I actually want the single studio, but because was accepted later, don't know if I'll get one. Hopefully I do--does anyone know the housing situation post-lottery?

If not, I think I may look off-campus.

I just got in!!

Now what do I do?!?!?!

Gotta find an Apartment... do FAFSA...

I dont think I can think straight right now.

neil