Stuff to get for TUSPM (Just got the packet in the mail)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crhoody12

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just got the packet in the mail and I like to be on the ball with things but I could use some TUSPM upperclassman guidance as to the importance or necessity of some of these things.

A.) Anatomy Books
Required:
1.) Langmans Medical Embryology, TW Sadler, 10th ed, 2006
2.) Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Moore and Dalley, 5th ed, 2005
3.) Grants Dissector, Patrick W Tank, 14th ed, 2008
4.) Atlats of Human Anatomy, Frank Netter, 4th ed, 2006
5.) Dorlands Illustrated Medical Dictionary, Dorland, 31st ed, 2007
Recommended:
1.) Color Atlas of Human Anatomy, Rohen, 6th ed 2006

Note: I found a few of these books as previous editions for fair amount less (ex. Grants Dissector (13th ed from 2005 instead of 14th ed 2008) and Dorlands Dictionary (get the 30th ed instead of 31st 2007). Can you get away with that?

B.) Anatomical Dissection Kit.
It says we need the kit plus the blades. How many blades would be needed (packet says its recommended to change each lab...is it really?)

C.) Bandage Scissors
They offer two types (only $2 difference so no big deal). Do you just order one? Multiple pairs?

D.) Instrumentation
Says we need a Tuning Fork, Littman Classic II Stethoscope, Sphygmomanometer, Neurological Hammer w/ Pin and Brush, Penlight, and Pocket Pediatrics Book. Assuming we do need all this, is quantity x1 enough?

E.) First Year Survival CD ???
(Probably not appreciated, but could you in theory go halves with someone for the CD, splitting the $50 cost?)

I guess I'm just looking for any pointers as to what to get, what not to get, does your big brother/sister help you with any of this or pass down (for fee) books, etc. Any advice would be appreciated by me, and I'm sure other TUSPMers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok so I just got the packet in the mail and I like to be on the ball with things but I could use some TUSPM upperclassman guidance as to the importance or necessity of some of these things.

A.) Anatomy Books
Required:
1.) Langmans Medical Embryology, TW Sadler, 10th ed, 2006
2.) Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Moore and Dalley, 5th ed, 2005
3.) Grants Dissector, Patrick W Tank, 14th ed, 2008
4.) Atlats of Human Anatomy, Frank Netter, 4th ed, 2006
5.) Dorlands Illustrated Medical Dictionary, Dorland, 31st ed, 2007
Recommended:
1.) Color Atlas of Human Anatomy, Rohen, 6th ed 2006

Note: I found a few of these books as previous editions for fair amount less (ex. Grants Dissector and Dorlands Dictionary). Can you get away with that?

B.) Anatomical Dissection Kit.
It says we need the kit plus the blades. How many blades would be needed (packet says its recommended to change each lab...is it really?)

C.) Bandage Scissors
They offer two types (only $2 difference so no big deal). Do you just order one? Multiple pairs?

D.) Instrumentation
Says we need a Tuning Fork, Littman Classic II Stethoscope, Sphygmomanometer, Neurological Hammer w/ Pin and Brush, Penlight, and Pocket Pediatrics Book. Assuming we do need all this, is quantity x1 enough?

E.) First Year Survival CD ???
(Probably not appreciated, but could you in theory go halves with someone for the CD, splitting the $50 cost?)

I guess I'm just looking for any pointers as to what to get, what not to get, does your big brother/sister help you with any of this or pass down (for fee) books, etc. Any advice would be appreciated by me, and I'm sure other TUSPMers. Thanks

Crap...sounds expensive...

:bang:

cr -

Here is what I'm getting:

I'm not sure about All Gen. Anatomy books. :oops:
3 sets of scrubs. :thumbup:
A few packs of #20 blades. :cool:
All my instruments. :smuggrin:
The CD. :love:
Lower leg guide. ;)
And 50 bumper stickers. :rolleyes: Maybe not so many...

Anyway...I'm all for splitting the price of say like the CD or something, IF your living on campus??

I sort of want some double decker action on the tour...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i recommend buying the required anatomy texts and then seeing how the course goes before buying supplemental material.. you could probably get away with older versions; the material doesnt change since the anatomy doesnt change, but there might be updated hints and tricks to studying the material

i would recommend getting as many blades as you want -- the more the better since you would be using them throughout general AND lower anatomy and the price is a good deal rather than outsourcing later on in the year if you run out

one bandage scissor is suffice, but having an extra one is always a good idea, but not necessary

One of each instrument is all that is needed. (the most fun part of the entire fundraisers, along with the bumper stickers!!)

Survival CD is a great study aid and highly recommended. you should purchase your own.

your big sibling should help you with any loose ends with questions/might pass down text books/their back exams/etc.. just ask them for any help! :)

hope this helps!

im not goin to temple but thanks for posting that so i have a heads up to what ill be spending in the near future...

when will you need most of the instruments and such??

im not goin to temple but thanks for posting that so i have a heads up to what ill be spending in the near future...

when will you need most of the instruments and such??

Info says we need most of our instruments for 2nd year, besides the dissection kit and such. :)

Can any TUSPM people help me out with the equipment need? Do we have to get the specific ones that Temple are supplying or can we get our own, as long as we have them? (ie a different brand of stethoscope or sphygmomanometer or scissor)

Can any TUSPM people help me out with the equipment need? Do we have to get the specific ones that Temple are supplying or can we get our own, as long as we have them? (ie a different brand of stethoscope or sphygmomanometer or scissor)

we're on the same wavelength!!! i plan on contacting the orientation staff to find out if they require only their supplies or if we can purchase our own that meet a minimum requirement.

i'm also goin' to compare prices to see if it makes that much of a difference. if the prices do not differ that much, i'll go ahead and purchase it from temple. after reading the packet, it seems that the products we do buy benefit the classes above us in some way. i don't mind contributing since one day we'll be fundraising, and hopefully the next entering class will contribute to ours.