Stuff for independent contractor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnew2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who work as independent contractors, where do you get your scrubs, lab coats, etc? And how do you get the emblem of the institution on the attire? Perhaps odd question I know but recently took a med directorship at a place where I'll be making well over $500,000 which is shocking but I am on my own for certain small things like coats, scrubs, etc. and have no idea where to go for this. I want to hit the ground running and have everything set to go so want to get this done.

Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I use medelita. Nice material and fit. You can personalize with logo etc. use a business card and write it off your taxes.

I use medelita. Nice material and fit. You can personalize with logo etc. use a business card and write it off your taxes.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my lab coats through Medelita too. Most of their coats are a bit too fashionable for me (makes sense--the company's original market was females who wanted more feminine scrubs/coats), but I bought an older design on clearance that was still fairly conservative but looked better than any lab coat you find elsewhere. I bought four and a few years later they're still in great shape. They weren't cheap, but you can write off 100% of the cost. I don't have an emblem of our institution on it as there's no need--all the docs here are independent unless they work in the clinics, and even then most don't have an emblem.

For scrubs I like Carhartt, but aside from the early days of Covid, I generally don't wear scrubs. Lots of good options on Amazon for them though.

The advantage of wearing scrubs is you can deduct the cost. I can't deduct the cost of my shirts/slacks since they can easily be used for other purposes.

Well over $500k is a really high salary, even for an independent contractor, so congrats on that!