Studying to pass step 2 CK. Tips needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDtobe200

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year Canadian medical student trying to study for USMLE Step 2 CK. How hard is it to pass USMLE Step 2 CK? There are some overlapping contents between the Canadian licensing exam and the STEP 2 CK, but I feel like that STEP 2 CK questions are harder.

I am aiming to take them around the time that I take my Canadian licensing exam (Currently studying for the Canadian one), and I am hoping to pass for the purpose of applying for fellowships later.

Are there are any useful books/tips that you can share? Taking my exams in June-July. Thanks you in advance for your comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there MDtobe200,

For Step 2 CK, I would highly recommend using the UWorld Q bank (aim to get through the Q bank at least once), the UWorld Biostats Subject Review (the exam is heavy on bio stats), the UWorld practice tests (2), and the NBME self assessments (4). Additionally, I recommend making your own Anki flashcards as you go through the Qbank and spend 30m-1 hour reviewing them on most evenings of the week. I also liked using the PDF version of the USMLE Step 1 First Aid as a quick reference as I was going through the question bank. I'm not a huge fan of the Step 2 CK books out there so I diverted back to the Step 1 First Aid and found it to be just as helpful.

Hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

I disagree with the above advice (and I have no conflict of interest). Use the Uworld Qbank, it's the gold standard. Use the Uworld practice exams.

Do NOT use the NBME practice exams, they are absolute garbage for Step 2 CK. My school recommended we do not use them, but I did anyway, and it was atrocious. The questions were extremely easy and you had to score like a 90% just to be average. Total waste of time and money.

I also highly recommend onlinemeded.org. They have fantastic videos and lesson notes, but I wouldn't use their Qbank. I'd just stick with Uworld.

Reactions: 1 users