Studying for the CSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carmed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year med student attending AUC and would like to know if I need to take a review class for the CSA exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by carmed:
I'm a 4th year med student attending AUC and would like to know if I need to take a review class for the CSA exam?

Carmed,

The CSA is no big deal, there is a book that lists about 50 cases and outlines questions you should ask. I looked through it briefley before taking the test but didn't really need it.

I cant remember what the name of the book is itsd a study guide, thats probably its name " Study guide for the CSA and OCE or something like that.

Don't sweat it. It set up just like a clinic.
If you've been doing clinics just do what you normally do.

It's not designed to flunk you, its designed to see if you can communicate with patients, and then act appropriately.

Good luck, you'll feel better when its over , dont waste a lot of time worrying about it.

If you feel that you need to study for the CSA, you probably should think about another career. $1,200 for that garbage. Man, when I think about all the money I wasted at med school, those 1,200 are at the top of the list, right next to TOEFL. I know that these aformentioned tests are designed for the foreign born-foriegn trained. You would think they would make an exception for US born foreign trained, but......

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi....

As Boomer Sooner said, there is a valuable book which helps with studying for the CSA (if you *really* feel you need it). I can't recall the title either (blame the 4th year malaise) but it is something like "Study Guide for OSCE".

I used it to study for end of 3rd year OSCE at my school and found it quite useful.

I don't think you should have any trouble with the CSA (except paying for the darn thing). Its not designed to trick you; typical, common patient presentations.

Hope this helps.

Hi...

Found the reference for the book. Its:

Mastering the OSCE/CSA
by Jo-Ann Reteguiz, Beverly Cornel-Avendano
Our Price: $39.95 (Amazon.com)

Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.
Paperback - 352 pages (February 26, 1999)
McGraw Hill Text; ISBN: 0071350128

Again, I'd recommend it to anyone, IMG or studying for the CSA or not.

I bought the book, but I felt a little silly afterwards because it was totally unnecessary. I know that no matter how many people tell you not to worry about it, it's only natural to be a little nervous.
It is completely subjective and there is no RIGHT answer. They are just trying to see if you can communicate with patients (in english), and to see how much of your money they can get. By the way, I got a $100 refund so it was $1100 (only...lol). I dont know what the refund was for, but everyone who took it around the time I did (Sept. 99) got one.