USMLE Study plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

younussm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
Im a IMG in my 3rd year of med school .Planning to start preparing for usmle step 1 .
I failed in my first year of med school(anatomy and physiology) and passed in my second attempt .
Cleared my 2nd yr in first attempt.
I have just studied to pass the exams and I do have basic knowledge .So from now on I'm planning to take it next level and start from the scratch .So from where should I start ? What all books do I need to study for step 1 ? How should I prepare ? As I'm a IMG what's the best score for step1 ?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Since we both don't know what you know/don't know, I would say;
1. Buy the new First Aid for Step 1
2. Read it cover to cover
3. Take an NBME as a diagnostic to see where you stand (Maybe you get >90% and you're already ready!?!?)
4. Most likely, you will just now add UWorld on top of this.
-Do one run of Uworld going through systems annotating into first aid
-Re-read your firstaid cover to cover with your annotations
-Use some other resource for path, add pathoma or RR pathology.
Then start taking NBMEs every weekend as your doing a second run of Uworld random/timed blocks.

After that it will be pretty easy to identify your week points, only then would I suggest branching out into other resources. If you even need to.

For all I know you rock as Biochem, so why would I tell you to get X biochem resource? For most people these resources are a waste of time anyway, the basic science you need its in FA/Uworld.

gl

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for the response :)
I'm a pretty much weak in pathology .Do u recommended anything for easy going ?

Pathoma is an excellent resource for learning pathology.

If you wish to delve a bit deeper then you can read Robbins for subjects you don't understand. Rapid Review Pathology might also help you delve a bit deeper.

Reactions: 1 users