Study plan for 9-10 months of studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I am an RN currently in a formal post-bac program and planning on applying to next cycle (2025-2026 cycle) so I still have another year-ish to go. I work per diem, do research and volunteer and am trying to consider all of these in my study plan for the MCAT.

My current plan is to take the MCAT in April/May 2025 and apply for that cycle. I will be finishing my post-bac that Mayand will be taking Physics 2, Human Heredity (bascially genetics) and physiology during that final semester. (I have already taken physiology and pathophys as an undergrad so this will be a repeat course for me)

That being said, because of my work, research, volunteer and non-trad life, I want to ensure that I have enough time to study for the MCAT so I want to start studying EARLY! It's been a while since I've taken the sociology and psychology courses so my plan is to start with those topics and as I finish O-chem, physics, and biochem start adding in those topics to my study rotation. (I've already completed/about to complete the gen biology and gen chem series)

My questions are:
What would those who have had long study plans recommend as far as study resources? Uworld, blueprint, princeton review, kaplan? Start with practice questions from qbanks? Which resources should I start with first and which ones should I save for last?

Thanks for reading this far!

Members don't see this ad.

What courses that are on the MCAT have you taken? Are you able to estimate how many hours/week you can dedicate?

I’ve taken bio 1 & 2, gen chem 1 & 2, psych, sociology, physiology, and by the time I start studying I’ll have completed ochem 1. Ochem 2, biochem and physics 1 are fall semester of this year (although I have recently taken intro physics so I have some intro knowledge to the equations I’m going to need)

Trying to figure out what’s the best number of hours to study per week with this amount of time. I’m lucky I can adjust my hours at work if I need to focus on studying more or less

I recommend a lighter content review with some practice questions leading up to 2 months before your exam. During this time you can review the Kaplan books or other resources, but I would definitely recommend using Anki. Look at the Anking resources to learn to use Anki efficiently. 2 months leading up to your exam, I would dedicate full time hours if possible. Using the rest of the Uworld questions the first month, AAMC materials the second month. During this time taking a practice full length every week on the same day of the week as your actual exam. You will need some 3rd party full lengths, and I recommend Blueprint.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend mixing in some Jack Westin as well (especially good for CARS) for some daily practice

Reactions: 1 users
I recommend mixing in some Jack Westin as well (especially good for CARS) for some daily practice
Is Jack Westin only really good for CARS? I don't hear of a lot of people using it for much else, but they have a lot of free practice questions on the other topics as well! I've been doing some CARS passages on Jack Westin but I could probably start doing it a little more regularly.

I recommend a lighter content review with some practice questions leading up to 2 months before your exam. During this time you can review the Kaplan books or other resources, but I would definitely recommend using Anki. Look at the Anking resources to learn to use Anki efficiently. 2 months leading up to your exam, I would dedicate full time hours if possible. Using the rest of the Uworld questions the first month, AAMC materials the second month. During this time taking a practice full length every week on the same day of the week as your actual exam. You will need some 3rd party full lengths, and I recommend Blueprint.
I'll try looking into Anki again. I started trying to figure it out but got frustrated and it confused me on how to set it all up.

Is Jack Westin only really good for CARS? I don't hear of a lot of people using it for much else, but they have a lot of free practice questions on the other topics as well! I've been doing some CARS passages on Jack Westin but I could probably start doing it a little more regularly.
It's good for other prompt types too, but I think for CARS it is especially good as you get 1 new CARS passage every day.

Reactions: 1 user
After using some of their questions, CARS is the best. Their science content often (1) goes out of MCAT scope or (2) the passages are like direct copies from the AAMC full length practice exams, which will distort your scores (if you take the FLs). You can definetely do their practice questions, but take them with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend a steady study schedule while taking classes but have a dedicated 8 weeks prior to exam that you are ONLY doing MCAT studying, nothing else. Save the practice questions for this time and truly dedicate a minimum of 50 hours a week during this intense 8 weeks.

I am an RN currently in a formal post-bac program and planning on applying to next cycle (2025-2026 cycle) so I still have another year-ish to go. I work per diem, do research and volunteer and am trying to consider all of these in my study plan for the MCAT.

My current plan is to take the MCAT in April/May 2025 and apply for that cycle. I will be finishing my post-bac that Mayand will be taking Physics 2, Human Heredity (bascially genetics) and physiology during that final semester. (I have already taken physiology and pathophys as an undergrad so this will be a repeat course for me)

That being said, because of my work, research, volunteer and non-trad life, I want to ensure that I have enough time to study for the MCAT so I want to start studying EARLY! It's been a while since I've taken the sociology and psychology courses so my plan is to start with those topics and as I finish O-chem, physics, and biochem start adding in those topics to my study rotation. (I've already completed/about to complete the gen biology and gen chem series)

My questions are:
What would those who have had long study plans recommend as far as study resources? Uworld, blueprint, princeton review, kaplan? Start with practice questions from qbanks? Which resources should I start with first and which ones should I save for last?

Thanks for reading this far!
9-10 months, as others have said, is far too much. I'd recommend finishing the pre-med curicculum first, i.e. ochem I & II, physics I & II, etc. Misc. classes such as genetics, micro, cell bio help for the MCAT but not w/out the foundation in place.

Review courses are a moot point when you do not have solid ground to stand on. Take a practice MCAT to see how are you scoring and come back to share with us!

Good luck with everything.

9-10 months, as others have said, is far too much. I'd recommend finishing the pre-med curicculum first, i.e. ochem I & II, physics I & II, etc. Misc. classes such as genetics, micro, cell bio help for the MCAT but not w/out the foundation in place.

Review courses are a moot point when you do not have solid ground to stand on. Take a practice MCAT to see how are you scoring and come back to share with us!

Good luck with everything.
I took a full length practice without any off the prerequisites (except the biology classes…since I’m a nurse I took bio, patho, micro a&p etc) and scored a 493. This was last year before I started post bac. (I’ve since re taken bio 1-2, gen chem 1-2, intro physics, and a few others…o chem is this summer)

Would you recommend starting studying after ochem 1 and 2 or just ochem 1 and then start building on the content? If I start after ochem 1 that will give me around 6 months of study time.

I took a full length practice without any off the prerequisites (except the biology classes…since I’m a nurse I took bio, patho, micro a&p etc) and scored a 493. This was last year before I started post bac. (I’ve since re taken bio 1-2, gen chem 1-2, intro physics, and a few others…o chem is this summer)

Would you recommend starting studying after ochem 1 and 2 or just ochem 1 and then start building on the content? If I start after ochem 1 that will give me around 6 months of study time.
O-Chem 2 doesn't have a lot of super high yield topics but the biggest one is biochem. Since you haven't taken either yet, I wouldn't start until after you've finished. If necessary, push your planned test date back to give yourself a bigger runway

O-Chem 2 doesn't have a lot of super high yield topics but the biggest one is biochem. Since you haven't taken either yet, I wouldn't start until after you've finished. If necessary, push your planned test date back to give yourself a bigger runway
I don’t think I’ll need to push back. I’ll have more than 3 months of studying after I’ve taken biochem. I’m too old to push back my application