students in Advanced standing programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

To all the students attending advanced standing programs, first of all congrats for getting into school. how is the experience so far, must be hectic . could u all share your experiences, any advice to those waiting to get into schools. Just chip in anything,it would be great to know how you all are doing out there.

Thanks,
Merl

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a foreign graduated dentist who is now practicing dentistry in New Jersey or an advanced standing student?
do you have any ideal how to find a dental assistant position while you are waiting for the interview result? Thanks!

Hi Angela

I don't think its that tough to get a D.A. job. I assume you can always check the employment section in the papers. At least its like that in the DC, Maryland , Virginia area.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi, guru, thank you for the reply. when you first started to be a DA, did you need to be trained? how did you ask for the salary?

Hi Angela

It was easy for me to fit in as a D.A. They saw I was a dentist and it gave me a lot of ratings in the office. Although there might be a couple of new things or appliances that u'll need to get use to but because you already have a basic idea of dentistry , I do not think its gonna pose much difficulty to you.
As per salary ,u make sure you don't present yourself cheap or desperate or else you might be presenting your self as someone with a low self-esteem.
I hope this has helped you.

hi guru
could you please tell me more about the D.A job.did u take any license exam before denta lassistant job . i've heard that you can't work as a D.A. without license .i am also a foreign dental gaduateand i've applied for adv st. program.i am working as a volunteer in a dental clinic.now ,i really need a job .please explain me about the D. A.job.howto apply for job.and about the interview.what kind of work u do inthe clinic as a dental assistant.

Hi Dr Smile

Yeah in most dental offices , you might have to get a license before you can practice as a D.A. Also at the same time there are a lot of offices out there that would allow you to work without this license......I guess I was fortunate.

The job of a D.A varies depending on the offices. Most times you have to do more than chairside assisting . You'll get to do some more expanded duties.....such as making of temporary crowns and bridges, sealants and fluorides therapy, making custom trays, bleaching trays (and also in-house bleaching), applying orthodontic bands, diagnostic radiographs, and so on. At times you might have to verify patient's insurance and dental coverages, make appointments for patients, order Dental supplies from manufacturers and also do a little maintenance duties in the office.

With these in mind , it goes to say that what you're paid is commensurate with your experience and skills. Some office would
also pay you more if you have some office ,computer and admininstative skills. So you might also help as an admininstrator.

Its a lot more than I've said ! But It had really showed me that dentistry in the U.S is a different ball game entirely.....Its a big enterprise.

thankyou very much for your reply guru.it'll be very helpful for me .
thanx again.