Coursework & Fieldwork Struggling to Pick Placement Settings!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bokonomy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a first year trying to decide on where to be placed. My interests right now are in peds (school, hospital, maybe outpatient), inpatient rehab (bonus points if it's more neuro-based), and inpatient mental health. So far I've had a level I in acute care.

Since schools have specific issues related to IEPs and this is most likely where I'll start out, I want to do one in schools. However, inpatient mental health is appealing and seems like it'd be hard to get a job in one without the experience since it's so niche. So I'm afraid of missing out. Yet inpatient rehab seems like it would be more "employable" and applicable to the NBCOT? If I didn't do a level I in rehab would it be difficult to find a job that setting?

I'd love to hear the opinions of OTs in their level IIs or who have graduated if any are on here. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am officially done with my level IIs tomorrow! I did my placements in schools and in inpatient rehab and I loved them both. The program I went to actually required that one of our FWIIs be an adults phys dis placement and the other could be peds or something more specialized (psych, hands, SCI, etc.). I think they did this in part because: 1. Most jobs are in adults phys dis and 2. The knowledge base is necessary for the NBCOT. Like you, I was actually most interested in pediatrics and psychosocial while I was in school, so I ended up having to choose between those two. I'd say determine which one you are most interested in and then pair that with something like an inpatient rehab. For what it's worth, I've heard school settings and adult rehab are the most helpful in terms of preparing you for the NBCOT. I'm hoping I'll find that to be true next month!

Reactions: 1 user
I am officially done with my level IIs tomorrow! I did my placements in schools and in inpatient rehab and I loved them both. The program I went to actually required that one of our FWIIs be an adults phys dis placement and the other could be peds or something more specialized (psych, hands, SCI, etc.). I think they did this in part because: 1. Most jobs are in adults phys dis and 2. The knowledge base is necessary for the NBCOT. Like you, I was actually most interested in pediatrics and psychosocial while I was in school, so I ended up having to choose between those two. I'd say determine which one you are most interested in and then pair that with something like an inpatient rehab. For what it's worth, I've heard school settings and adult rehab are the most helpful in terms of preparing you for the NBCOT. I'm hoping I'll find that to be true next month!
Thanks for the advice! The other thing I was considering was maybe a peds hospital and mental health hospital so I can get a bit of both. The mental health hospital actually also has a movement disorders clinic attached so I'm going to look into it more to see if OT is involved; that would diversify my experience a little more!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! The other thing I was considering was maybe a peds hospital and mental health hospital so I can get a bit of both. The mental health hospital actually also has a movement disorders clinic attached so I'm going to look into it more to see if OT is involved; that would diversify my experience a little more!

Level I is glorified shadowing :) But it helps develop interests. My 1b sites were interesting so i went into hands and snf for level 2.

Big hospitals (acute) near me wanted wanted students on their 2nd level 2. I have been told small hospitals didn't care but mentors are sucky.

Hands wanted some experience with the student (like a level 1). Some wanted to interview before accepting.

I dislike peds and psych so no help there.

Level I is glorified shadowing :) But it helps develop interests. My 1b sites were interesting so i went into hands and snf for level 2.

Big hospitals (acute) near me wanted wanted students on their 2nd level 2. I have been told small hospitals didn't care but mentors are sucky.

Hands wanted some experience with the student (like a level 1). Some wanted to interview before accepting.

I dislike peds and psych so no help there.
I meant for choosing a level II and job prospects after. I'm worried if I don't have a level II in inpatient rehab it'll be much harder to pick up a per diem job there or switch if I feel like it.

For level Is, I think it only really matters to have one in hands to do a level II, at least at my school. Of the places I've looked into, a major sensory clinic wants interviews and so does the psych hospital I'm looking into. I'm sure other specialty places do as well.

Sorry if this isn't coherent, I pretty much just got up. :)

I meant for choosing a level II and job prospects after. I'm worried if I don't have a level II in inpatient rehab it'll be much harder to pick up a per diem job there or switch if I feel like it.

It depends what type of institution/location you want to work in. Larger academic or quasi academic places prolly want you to have a level II and having a level I at their place would help get your foot in.Smaller places may train you. A friend in a class ahead of me only had SNF and peds. She does PRN in a community hospital and SNF full time. No experience in hospitals before. Switching between fields does not seem to be a big issue atm. Seen plenty of people switching between areas like home care to snf, snf to hands and so on. Things change tho and maybe future employers want their OTs want to have certifications etc in the future.

For level Is, I think it only really matters to have one in hands to do a level II, at least at my school. Of the places I've looked into, a major sensory clinic wants interviews and so does the psych hospital I'm looking into. I'm sure other specialty places do as well.

For hands I meant that some hand places want a bit more from students. Smaller/crappier sites wont care. Bigger sites care.

One negative thing I am noticing is switching from hands to another area of practice would be hard especially if you have been doing hands for years.

Try to get the inpatient fieldwork if you can for level II.

@werdna works in inpatient I think. Is a level II in inpatient necessary for a job?

So I'm a first year trying to decide on where to be placed. My interests right now are in peds (school, hospital, maybe outpatient), inpatient rehab (bonus points if it's more neuro-based), and inpatient mental health. So far I've had a level I in acute care.

Since schools have specific issues related to IEPs and this is most likely where I'll start out, I want to do one in schools. However, inpatient mental health is appealing and seems like it'd be hard to get a job in one without the experience since it's so niche. So I'm afraid of missing out. Yet inpatient rehab seems like it would be more "employable" and applicable to the NBCOT? If I didn't do a level I in rehab would it be difficult to find a job that setting?

I'd love to hear the opinions of OTs in their level IIs or who have graduated if any are on here. Thanks!

Hey there! I would focus more on which fieldwork sites match your interests and career aspirations and not worry about the NBCOT exam just yet. I think your fw experience can definitely give you leg up on finding a job in that setting, and some more specialized settings like hand therapy may require a hand therapy fw experience for a new grad. I think if you did level 2 fw in a school setting and mental health setting, it would be difficult to find a job doing inpatient rehab right off the bat, full time or prn. If I were you, unless you are very certain you want to work in mental health, I would opt for something in adult physical rehab, plus a school or other pediatric placement you are interested in. As you'll learn, mental health issues are not confined to that specific setting; many of my patients have histories of depression, anxiety, drug abuse, etc. Good luck!

So I'm a first year trying to decide on where to be placed. My interests right now are in peds (school, hospital, maybe outpatient), inpatient rehab (bonus points if it's more neuro-based), and inpatient mental health. So far I've had a level I in acute care

You should follow whatever setting you feel is the best match for you.

If salary is a major concern, or a concern at all, I should let you know that you are listing the lowest salary categories: peds, schools and mental health are the lowest paying OT jobs around. I hear finding mental health placements is very hard. SNFs pay the most money. Outpatient isn't far behind.