USMLE Stress test or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Estranged

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we order a stress test for patients with high pretest probability? I know that it is more useful for patients with intermediate pretest probability but would you still order it for someone with high probability ex 50 y.o man with typical angina?
I thought I read somewhere in UWORLD that for patients with high probability we start pharmacologic therapy/consider angiography without a stress test. Yesterday though I encountered a question (in Kaplan Qbank) about a 48 y.o man with typical angina and the answer to "what's the best next step in patient care" was ---> perform a stress test.

Members don't see this ad.

Do we order a stress test for patients with high pretest probability? I know that it is more useful for patients with intermediate pretest probability but would you still order it for someone with high probability ex 50 y.o man with typical angina?
I thought I read somewhere in UWORLD that for patients with high probability we start pharmacologic therapy/consider angiography without a stress test. Yesterday though I encountered a question (in Kaplan Qbank) about a 48 y.o man with typical angina and the answer to "what's the best next step in patient care" was ---> perform a stress test.

I never did the Kaplan Q bank but I know for sure there is a table in UW that says high probability means you start pharm therapy for CAD right away. MTB says basically the same thing, where you use the stress test when the cause of pain is unclear.