USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Honestly, after going through pretty much all blogs and forums i think this so called trick used to work in past but not any longer.

1. What still seem to work is : disappearance of Print permit link — which indicates that results will be out this Wednesday for you.

2. The “trick” on the FSMB that is suppose to indicate whether you passed or fail is probably a thing of the past. At least in past two years, i have not found a single person who had seen this mysterious “button to reapply” before the score are officially announced. Only people who actually passed seem to be reporting that the trick works. I am yet to see (in recent years) anyone saying - “I saw the reaaply button on Tuesday and i failed”. On the contrary, there are definitely people who failed in real but according to trick they were suppose to pass.

Wish us luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, after going through pretty much all blogs and forums i think this so called trick used to work in past but not any longer.

1. What still seem to work is : disappearance of Print permit link — which indicates that results will be out this Wednesday for you.

2. The “trick” on the FSMB that is suppose to indicate whether you passed or fail is probably a thing of the past. At least in past two years, i have not found a single person who had seen this mysterious “button to reapply” before the score are officially announced. Only people who actually passed seem to be reporting that the trick works. I am yet to see (in recent years) anyone saying - “I saw the reaaply button on Tuesday and i failed”. On the contrary, there are definitely people who failed in real but according to trick they were suppose to pass.

Wish us luck!
I agree. All the best to everyone.

Status on FSMB “Expired” as of this morning. No reapply button shown.
Same!

Monday morning FSMB Page changed to Expired with no link to reapply.

You have an active registration:
  • Name: XXXXXXX
  • Submit Date:
    Saturday, XXXX 11, 2020
  • Eligibility Start Date:
    Wednesday, XXXX 01, 2020
  • Eligibility Expiration Date: Wednesday, XXXX 31, 2021
  • Extended Expiration Date: Wednesday, XXXX 30, 2020
  • Eligibility Extension Status: Pending
You have an Eligibility Extension request that has not been completed.

Same!

• Submit Date:
    Saturday, XXXX 11, 2020
    Wednesday, XXXX 01, 2020
my status expired as well. But, eligibility extension status is approved.

Name:
Submit Date:
Eligibility Start Date:
Eligibility Expiration Date:
Extended Expiration Date:
Eligibility Extension Status:Approved

Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application.

my status expired as well. But, eligibility extension status is approved.

Name:
Submit Date:
Eligibility Start Date:
Eligibility Expiration Date:
Extended Expiration Date:
Eligibility Extension Status:Approved

Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application.
Same!

• Submit Date:
    Saturday, XXXX 11, 2020
    Wednesday, XXXX 01, 2020
Interesting because mine says "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience." at the bottom.

Yeah, mine says “step 3 application has expired, you may begin a new step 3 app at your convenience”. Nothing about an eligibility extension.

I had applied for extension on eligibility period in the past. Do you remember doing that? That might be the reason.
My grey box has always said that since I took the exam/first checked the page. I think it's because I got an automatic covid extension and that's the period that I took the exam in ("the free covid extension period").

Did your grey boxes change to say that you can apply or has it always said that?

Members don't see this ad :)
My grey box has always said that since I took the exam/first checked the page. I think it's because I got an automatic covid extension and that's the period that I took the exam in ("the free covid extension period").

Did your grey boxes change to say that you can apply or has it always said that?
It was always like that for me. Never changed.

Feb 24/26 test taker. Any bets on when my results will come out?
Has your permit link disappeared from the nbme site? If yes, you should get it tomorrow night at 12am EST/9pm PST.

Also seems like your FSMB status was Expired based on the photo you posted earlier from FSMB. If your permit link is gone you should be getting score report tomorrow.

Has your permit link disappeared from the nbme site? If yes, you should get it tomorrow night at 12am EST/9pm PST.

Also seems like your FSMB status was Expired based on the photo you posted earlier from FSMB. If your permit link is gone you should be getting score report tomorrow.

Sorry for being anal about this but I had an experience where I thought CK was coming a week early and it did not. I copied what the NBME website is showing. Can someone interpret this. It's already been a stressful week. Good news so far is I matched today. Wednesday though I think I may be getting a score and then Friday I will be finding out where I matched.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-15 173820.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-15 173820.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 199
  • Permit Link .jpg
    Permit Link .jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 314
Sorry for being anal about this but I had an experience where I thought CK was coming a week early and it did not. I copied what the NBME website is showing. Can someone interpret this. It's already been a stressful week. Good news so far is I matched today. Wednesday though I think I may be getting a score and then Friday I will be finding out where I matched.
The site that shows if your step 3 permit link is there or not is this one:

The site that you posted photos from is for step 1 and step 2. The link I put above is for step 3. Log into that site with your usmle id and password to see if your step 3 permit link is gone or not.

The site that shows if your step 3 permit link is there or not is this one:

The site that you posted photos from is for step 1 and step 2. The link I put above is for step 3. Log into that site with your usmle id and password to see if your step 3 permit link is gone or not.

Please advise (seriously I'm clueless). I guess this is the site the score report will come on?

Attachments

• permit 2.jpg
    permit 2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 280
Is there a blue link below "permit available date" column? If not then you will get your score this Wednesday.
I posted the entire Step 3 row. After that is my Step 2 CS stuff. I was never checking to see if there was a blue link previously but I presume it must have disappeared based on what everyone is saying.

I posted the entire Step 3 row. After that is my Step 2 CS stuff. I was never checking to see if there was a blue link previously but I presume it must have disappeared based on what everyone is saying.
Then yes, you will get the result tomorrow after midnight. All the best.... This wait sucks...

So the trick does NOT work anymore. Only thing is if the Print Permit link disappears from NBME candidate website that means the scores will be out coming Wednesday. My FSMB page has NOT changed a bit even after the Pass result.

Reactions: 1 users
0Passed!!! Trick works!!! Just for reference 201 USWA 1 (1 week out) & USWA 2 207 4(days out). Real this 217!!! Did all of Uworld once and all of CCScases. Done with USMLE forever thank god!!!! Nothing but a money making scheme anyways, good luck to everyone.

0Passed!!! Trick works!!! Just for reference 201 USWA 1 (1 week out) & USWA 2 207 4(days out). Real this 217!!! Did all of Uworld once and all of CCScases. Done with USMLE forever thank god!!!! Nothing but a money making scheme anyways, good luck to everyone.
Felt the same way after I passed that thing. Do they think an ortho resident will remember these things 6 months after passing...?