STEP 3 Score VS USMLE WORLD AVERAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rolled into this test like a 2 year old at an EDM concert having no ****ing clue what’s going on.

Day 1:
- skipped every single ad question
- guessed on half the bio stats
- forgot to study first aid for step 1 is what it seems.
- marked 75% of questions
- apparently didn’t read the USMLE book of ethics for the 50 ethics questions in weird scenarios that happened never in real life.
- stopped at a Macdonalds after the exam to check out my new work environment after failing this test.

day 2:
- ran out of time on every MQ block.
- no CCS cases ended early. All kept going with “patient feels better” but never ended early.
-had no idea what to do on a case.
- called up my PD to tell them I failed step 3.

Actual score: 240’s. PD still thinks I’m a dumb ****. Macdonalds turned down my application.
Congratulations

Step 1 & 2CK in the 250s, but that was more than 4 years ago. In the meantime, I mostly did research so I had forgotten almost everything. Took CS 1.5 years ago (first pass). For Step 3, my goal was just to pass. I studied for ~4 weeks inconsistently while working at the same time. The week before the exam I had more time to read, as well as the week between my two test days. The fact that I had my CK notes available helped me to remember things faster, as I they were my style and high-yield info. I completed ~50% of UW (63%) and got 207 on UWSA 2 two days before the first exam day. For CCS, I did CCScases.com, bc the cases were scored and this gave me a better idea of how I was doing.

First day of the exam felt like UW (maybe the more difficult blocks of UW), but nothing crazy. I was comfortable with time--had time to review approximately half of my flagged questions. For me UWSA 2 felt super hard and I was running out of time. The actual test was chill compared to that one.

Second day was even better, multiple choice questions felt like UW, some of the blocks perhaps easier. CCS was a little harder but again nothing extraordinary. In one case I didn't find what the patient's problem was.

Actual score: 224. Super happy!

Good luck to all of you guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Step 1 & 2CK in the 250s, but that was more than 4 years ago. In the meantime, I mostly did research so I had forgotten almost everything. Took CS 1.5 years ago (first pass). For Step 3, my goal was just to pass. I studied for ~4 weeks inconsistently while working at the same time. The week before the exam I had more time to read, as well as the week between my two test days. The fact that I had my CK notes available helped me to remember things faster, as I they were my style and high-yield info. I completed ~50% of UW (63%) and got 207 on UWSA 2 two days before the first exam day. For CCS, I did CCScases.com, bc the cases were scored and this gave me a better idea of how I was doing.

First day of the exam felt like UW (maybe the more difficult blocks of UW), but nothing crazy. I was comfortable with time--had time to review approximately half of my flagged questions. For me UWSA 2 felt super hard and I was running out of time. The actual test was chill compared to that one.

Second day was even better, multiple choice questions felt like UW, some of the blocks perhaps easier. CCS was a little harder but again nothing extraordinary. In one case I didn't find what the patient's problem was.

congratulations

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to be done with USMLE. Took my test the beginning of July. Did uworld x 1.5. Uworld ccs cases. Ccs cases book once. UWSA 1/2 201/215. Didn’t do nbme even thought the 5th one is free now I believe due to covid.

Day 1. Horrible day for me. The blocks were long finished with about 4-5 mins each of that. Biostats was hit or miss for me. Drugs ads were hit or miss as well. The step one material was either you knew it or didn’t. High yield is the mechanism of antibiotics. “Patient has x y z symptoms. What is the mechanism of the drug to treat it” type of questions. I left the test thinking a i failed for sure.

Day 2. Much better for me personally. Finished with 5-6 mins each. Either I knew it or I didn’t and kept moving on. I feel that you should go through all the questions with your first intuition first then circle back if you can. The questions were more clinically based and off uworld. I felt better but the questions were still difficult. Ccs was tough. 12/13 cases I knew what the diagnosis was quick enough but my interface was soooo slow. By the time I put in orders. 5-6 mins of time were gone. Near the back half of cases I put in the bare minimums to make sure I sufficiently made the diagnosis. In my opinion. Uworld was harder than actual test. My diagnosis were child abuse. Von willibrand bleeding. pyloric stenosis. Child type 1 diabetes. Subdural hematoma. That I can remember. After second day. I felt I passed but didn’t know if the uworld ccs slowness killed me or day one. Just happy to be done with this. Good luck

Step 1 230s
Step 2 240s
Step 3 220s

Last edited:
Glad to be done with USMLE. Took my test the beginning of July. Did uworld x 1.5. Uworld ccs cases. Ccs cases book once. UWSA 1/2 201/215. Didn’t do nbme even thought the 5th one is free now I believe due to covid.

Day 1. Horrible day for me. The blocks were long finished with about 4-5 mins each of that. Biostats was hit or miss for me. Drugs ads were hit or miss as well. The step one material was either you knew it or didn’t. High yield is the mechanism of antibiotics. “Patient has x y z symptoms. What is the mechanism of the drug to treat it” type of questions. I left the test thinking a i failed for sure.

Day 2. Much better for me personally. Finished with 5-6 mins each. Either I knew it or I didn’t and kept moving on. I feel that you should go through all the questions with your first intuition first then circle back if you can. The questions were more clinically based and off uworld. I felt better but the questions were still difficult. Ccs was tough. 12/13 cases I knew what the diagnosis was quick enough but my interface was soooo slow. By the time I put in orders. 5-6 mins of time were gone. Near the back half of cases I put in the bare minimums to make sure I sufficiently made the diagnosis. In my opinion. Uworld was harder than actual test. My diagnosis were child abuse. Von willibrand bleeding. pyloric stenosis. Child type 1 diabetes. Subdural hematoma. That I can remember. After second day. I felt I passed but didn’t know if the uworld ccs slowness killed me or day one. Just happy to be done with this. Good luck

Step 1 230s
Step 2 240s
Step 3 220s

Congratulations!

Hi when did you take the exam and when did you get your score back ? I completed the second day on July 13th.... just want to ballpark when I’ll be getting my results.

Step 1 230s
Step 2 240s
Step 3 220s

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, looks like 2 weeks turn around. Were you surprised by your score? I am dying to figure out if I passed as I thought the MCQ was pretty difficult and narrowed down to 2 choices for a lot of them.

Ya I was pretty nervous, and i was surprised by the score. Thought I honestly did worse. My original test day was end of may and kept getting canceled, so i thought i would lose too much information. Honestly was more surprised on biostats as I always hate it. But it did ok on the test. Odds are well in your favor to pass. The questions are hard but there is a lot of item discrimination on USMLE tests. So i feel like that can make it harder. Just happy to be done. Did a medicine intern year so def helped on some things

glad you passed it and that everything worked out for you !

Ya I was pretty nervous, and i was surprised by the score. Thought I honestly did worse. My original test day was end of may and kept getting canceled, so i thought i would lose too much information. Honestly was more surprised on biostats as I always hate it. But it did ok on the test. Odds are well in your favor to pass. The questions are hard but there is a lot of item discrimination on USMLE tests. So i feel like that can make it harder. Just happy to be done. Did a medicine intern year so def helped on some things

Any advice on step1 subject recommendations to study for step 3?

Definitely Biostats - there are a few Youtube videos somewhere in this thread that go through the high-yield ones
Mechanism of actions of drugs - you'll get several random questions
Review pathophysiology
Definitely go through topics you don't practice currently (for instance, if you're in IM you should review Peds and OB/GYN)

Day 1 of Step 3 felt like Step 1 for me, and day 2 was more like Step 2 CK
No biostats on day 2

Definitely Biostats - there are a few Youtube videos somewhere in this thread that go through the high-yield ones
Mechanism of actions of drugs - you'll get several random questions
Review pathophysiology
Definitely go through topics you don't practice currently (for instance, if you're in IM you should review Peds and OB/GYN)

Day 1 of Step 3 felt like Step 1 for me, and day 2 was more like Step 2 CK
No biostats on day 2
Thank you for information.

Hello guys, really need your help.
I am an old international graduate (15 years ago). Had my USMLE 1 and 2 and CS done in 2010, 2011 and 2012, barely passed with passing scores all first attempts. I had an IM internship year in a program for one year.
Never had taken step 3 until last December 2019. I failed with 190. At that time I took long time studying for it using mainly master the boards step 3 and Uworld Qbank. Averaged 55% correct in untimed and tutor mode. Never did the UW assessment before my first exam which was a huge mistake. My result came mid January with fail result (biostats were the only topic marked as below my score). I came back to studying for it. Went back through master the boards and had a subscription of MedReview videos. Did Kaplan this time and finished it. Reviewed the materials and few days ago had Uworld assessment 1 and scored 183. Today I had done block 1 and 2 of the second set. Scored awfully with %40 and %42 in the first and second blocks, and now got depressed and closed the whole thing. My exam in 5 days and I doubt that I will still take it. The problem is that now I can do Uworld and score in the %70s in timed random blocks but that seems not to help because I feel I have memorized the questions and answers, feeling I have "burnt" that qbank. Kaplan seems primitive and unrealistic compared to uworld (based on my real life exam experience, plus its cover for biostats is a joke). I feel myself disoriented and clueless when I was doing Uworld assessment (ofcourse new to me) questions. And was unsure of every response to every question. Wasn't surprised by the results.
Now I feel depressed and don't know what to do. What do you advice?
Thanks in advance

Hello guys, really need your help.
I am an old international graduate (15 years ago). Had my USMLE 1 and 2 and CS done in 2010, 2011 and 2012, barely passed with passing scores all first attempts. I had an IM internship year in a program for one year.
Never had taken step 3 until last December 2019. I failed with 190. At that time I took long time studying for it using mainly master the boards step 3 and Uworld Qbank. Averaged 55% correct in untimed and tutor mode. Never did the UW assessment before my first exam which was a huge mistake. My result came mid January with fail result (biostats were the only topic marked as below my score). I came back to studying for it. Went back through master the boards and had a subscription of MedReview videos. Did Kaplan this time and finished it. Reviewed the materials and few days ago had Uworld assessment 1 and scored 183. Today I had done block 1 and 2 of the second set. Scored awfully with %40 and %42 in the first and second blocks, and now got depressed and closed the whole thing. My exam in 5 days and I doubt that I will still take it. The problem is that now I can do Uworld and score in the %70s in timed random blocks but that seems not to help because I feel I have memorized the questions and answers, feeling I have "burnt" that qbank. Kaplan seems primitive and unrealistic compared to uworld (based on my real life exam experience, plus its cover for biostats is a joke). I feel myself disoriented and clueless when I was doing Uworld assessment (ofcourse new to me) questions. And was unsure of every response to every question. Wasn't surprised by the results.
Now I feel depressed and don't know what to do. What do you advice?
Thanks in advance

Sent you a PM.

Congratulations, Is UW ccs enough or should I study more scenarios?

Took Step 3 end of July 1 week apart, score released 10 days after my last test day. Left day 1 thinking I failed, left day 2 still thinking I failed and messed up a few CCS cases as well.

UWSA1: 196
UWSA2: 213
Actual score: 232

Only used Uworld qbank x 1 and ccscases.com each case once, and skimmed through uworld ccs cases one day before day 2. My suggestion is to know your biostats down cold; so many questions on day 1 and I'm pretty sure it's what boosted my points way higher than I thought I would ultimately get. The uworld biostats review is very helpful.

Took Step 3 end of July 1 week apart, score released 10 days after my last test day. Left day 1 thinking I failed, left day 2 still thinking I failed and messed up a few CCS cases as well.

UWSA1: 196
UWSA2: 213
Actual score: 232

Only used Uworld qbank x 1 and ccscases.com each case once, and skimmed through uworld ccs cases one day before day 2. My suggestion is to know your biostats down cold; so many questions on day 1 and I'm pretty sure it's what boosted my points way higher than I thought I would ultimately get. The uworld biostats review is very helpful.
congratulations, do you think that UW ccs is enough?

So my exam is in 2 weeks and I got 196 on UWSA1. The exam was super tough for me. I guess I have no clue if to move my test or not. I truly just wanted to get it over with in october.

For other residents that are lurking.

Took exam on 9/23 and 9/24

UWSA1 was 199. Actual was a 214.
UWorld average was about 55%.

Best of luck to you all.

So my exam is in 2 weeks and I got 196 on UWSA1. The exam was super tough for me. I guess I have no clue if to move my test or not. I truly just wanted to get it over with in october.
I think you will be good. I got a 199 on UWSA1 and a 214 on the real thing.

Just took UWSA 1 today and got a 191. Silly mistakes and test in 27 days.

I’m averaging 61% on Uworld. Just felt off taking the assessment.

Suggestions?

Just took UWSA 1 today and got a 191. Silly mistakes and test in 27 days.

I’m averaging 61% on Uworld. Just felt off taking the assessment.

Suggestions?
1 month is tons of time! I would really hit your weak areas these next two weeks and then take UWSA2 or an NBME.

UWSA 1 -196 (2 WKS AGO) , USWA 2-214 (Today) . My exam is on the 20th and 21st and I am super worried about CCS. I initially tried to do U world CCS but it seemed like so much to remember so I moved to CCScases.com which grades me but read about people saying it isn't reflective of the real thing. Can anyone give me advise on how to best approach CCS. I know I can't do much about the multiple choice questions and I'm at peace with that. But id rather pass the CCS cases well and score extra points. Do you recommend just reading through each of the Uworld CCS cases?

UWSA 1 -196 (2 WKS AGO) , USWA 2-214 (Today) . My exam is on the 20th and 21st and I am super worried about CCS. I initially tried to do U world CCS but it seemed like so much to remember so I moved to CCScases.com which grades me but read about people saying it isn't reflective of the real thing. Can anyone give me advise on how to best approach CCS. I know I can't do much about the multiple choice questions and I'm at peace with that. But id rather pass the CCS cases well and score extra points. Do you recommend just reading through each of the Uworld CCS cases?
CCS cases are useful, but aware of unnecessary orders like vaccination in ER, build your knowledge on UW ccs and practice more diagnosis from CCS casess

I would go through all of the UW cases to know what the cases are asking for. Then use that to practice applying it to the CCS cases. Don't focus on the score that you get on the CCS cases since they grade you on things like bed rest, diet, and vaccine... which is not graded on the real thing.

I took UWSA 1 about 5 days prior to the first day of my exam (dates: 9-25 and 9-28). I scored a 191 on the self-assessment and 203 on the actual exam. Reading through the STEP 3 forum there seems to be a general trend that the first self-assessment under-predicts scores. Looking back the self-assessment seemed to be more difficult than the real exam.

for those who are used ccscases.com, what is a good performance percentage-wise?

It's easy to get a good percentage because ccscases.com asks for the same things for every case. I think this is what makes the score a not fair assessment. I would recommend using this source more as a learning resource

It's easy to get a good percentage because ccscases.com asks for the same things for every case. I think this is what makes the score a not fair assessment. I would recommend using this source more as a learning resource

I totally agree. CCScase is good and should be used because at times it helps seeing where you are going wrong. Especially each domain is graded separately. At times, I get points taken off because I was not quick enough to move the patients to a different location.

They also grade you down if you counsel during the case instead of waiting til the very end (2 minute screen). If you see UW, you will see they council during the case when needed. Also, I think it is "okay" to reassure the patient as you are advancing the clock when it is needed. They mark you down because thats seen as counseling and should have done at the very end. In real life, wouldn't you want your provider to come and reassure you? (i.e you are not dying or calm down)..I am not sure if any of that makes a difference on the real ccs part but I would think reassure is seen as following up or checking back to see how they are doing. I could be wrong.

Uworld average 62% (I did all the questions)
UWSA 1: 194 (1 month before)
UWSA 2: 217 (5 days before)
Actual Step 3: 230s

For reference
Step 1: 230s
Step 2: 240s

After the 1st day, I thought I felt like I had guessed half the test. I one block I counted and I had actually marked half of the questions so I'm not that far off. day 2 wasn't that bad and all but 1 CCS case ended early without any bad update from the patient so I think those went pretty good.

I only used uworld (mostly in blocks of 20 and 30 a day for 2 months, I had an ICU rotation the month before step so I knew I had to stretch out studying). I also did uworld biostats and watched a youtube video review on biostats which I think helped a lot in memorizing common formulas in biostats.

I had 2 days between the 2 parts in which I only did ccscases (I hadn't worked on CCS cases at all before then). I agree about the grading not being great, especially about their counseling, but it was great practice for the most common scenarios.

Uworld average 62% (I did all the questions)
UWSA 1: 194 (1 month before)
UWSA 2: 217 (5 days before)
Actual Step 3: 230s

For reference
Step 1: 230s
Step 2: 240s

After the 1st day, I thought I felt like I had guessed half the test. I one block I counted and I had actually marked half of the questions so I'm not that far off. day 2 wasn't that bad and all but 1 CCS case ended early without any bad update from the patient so I think those went pretty good.

I only used uworld (mostly in blocks of 20 and 30 a day for 2 months, I had an ICU rotation the month before step so I knew I had to stretch out studying). I also did uworld biostats and watched a youtube video review on biostats which I think helped a lot in memorizing common formulas in biostats.

I had 2 days between the 2 parts in which I only did ccscases (I hadn't worked on CCS cases at all before then). I agree about the grading not being great, especially about their counseling, but it was great practice for the most common scenarios.

How was your 2 min order set? Did you ordered all the vaccines and other stuff that ccscasses.com wants you to? Just trying to get some sort of feel about the best way to go about it. Same for ordering physical exam because ccscasses.com want you to order almost complete exam. Totally opposite of UW and official USMLE ccs feedback .

Thank you

How was your 2 min order set? Did you ordered all the vaccines and other stuff that ccscasses.com wants you to? Just trying to get some sort of feel about the best way to go about it. Same for ordering physical exam because ccscasses.com want you to order almost complete exam. Totally opposite of UW and official USMLE ccs feedback .

Thank you

i did not. I just ordered follow up labs (especially if I started new meds that needs monitoring) and counseling if warranted. If case ended with patient going to the OR, I ordered pre op labs. Stuff like that.

the software was a little slow so it didn’t leave me enough time if to put in that many orders. So choose wisely and prioritize.

i did not. I just ordered follow up labs (especially if I started new meds that needs monitoring) and counseling if warranted. If case ended with patient going to the OR, I ordered pre op labs. Stuff like that.

the software was a little slow so it didn’t leave me enough time if to put in that many orders. So choose wisely and prioritize.

ahh ic. So pretty much case scenario focused stuff?

Thank you!

Yeah. I just stuck to the relevant stuff to the scenario. Now I don't know exactly how I did because the report is the new format that makes no sense. But I wouldn't be surprised if that boosted my score.

I think one of my biggest mistakes is that I left my patient in the ER through the whole case! Even after he was scheduled for surgery. lol

Yeah. I just stuck to the relevant stuff to the scenario. Now I don't know exactly how I did because the report is the new format that makes no sense. But I wouldn't be surprised if that boosted my score.

I think one of my biggest mistakes is that I left my patient in the ER through the whole case! Even after he was scheduled for surgery. lol

Yea but if the case ended before you could move the patient, then you can't do much.

Yeah, the case ended. but I didn't even realized I forgot to move the patient until a few cases after that one (That was on my first case)

Yeah, the case ended. but I didn't even realized I forgot to move the patient until a few cases after that one (That was on my first case)

how did you usually advance the clock? I've been using the call/see me as needed button. thanks!

I always used the “when the next result available” or whatever it’s called option.