Step 3 bad experience, missed many questions on day 1; would appreciate inputs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TNKay

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I gave my Step 3 two days back and I am freaking out a lot. I left all the drug ad questions on day 1 and drained out my time in one of the blocks leaving out 6 questions. The mistakes are haunting me- some very easy infectious disease questions, one stat question, 1 peds, three coupled question stems (where you instantly know if you did the first question right), and so many other questions (some I can recall, some I cant). I scored a 225 on UWSA1, have decent scores in Step1 and CK. I had failed my CS and wanted to leverage Step 3 by scoring well in it and using it to compensate for my failure in the CS.

Please tell me if someone had a similar experience in Step 3 and still managed to score well?
I will immensely appreciate the inputs.

P.S. An IMG here trying desperately to get into residency

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone!

I gave my Step 3 two days back and I am freaking out a lot. I left all the drug ad questions on day 1 and drained out my time in one of the blocks leaving out 6 questions. The mistakes are haunting me- some very easy infectious disease questions, one stat question, 1 peds, three coupled question stems (where you instantly know if you did the first question right), and so many other questions (some I can recall, some I cant). I scored a 225 on UWSA1, have decent scores in Step1 and CK. I had failed my CS and wanted to leverage Step 3 by scoring well in it and using it to compensate for my failure in the CS.

Please tell me if someone had a similar experience in Step 3 and still managed to score well?
I will immensely appreciate the inputs.

P.S. An IMG here trying desperately to get into residency
how did you end up doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
thats awesome, I missed some treatments for my ccs cases, medications I couldn't remember the name for and treatments I wasn't not 100% sure about so I afraid to put them down for fear of taking points away for invasive tests or something.. did you do anything that horrible? I'm so worried I failed.

thats awesome, I missed some treatments for my ccs cases, medications I couldn't remember the name for and treatments I wasn't not 100% sure about so I afraid to put them down for fear of taking points away for invasive tests or something.. did you do anything that horrible? I'm so worried I failed.
I did miss some very basic tests for my 2-3 CCS cases, one case I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the patient, and one case, the only plausible treatment was being repeatedly declined by the patient. But, I don't think it affected my score. And if it's only the CCS part you struggled slightly in- trust me you absolutely did not fail. I am sending my best wishes your way. And I never believed in this until it happened to me - but the exam is highly, immensely, extremely forgiving. Hope for the best!!

UPDATE for future readers. I passed. So it turns out you can make some pretty epic mistakes and still pass. =) Thank goodness because the USMLE trauma is now over forever!

UPDATE for future readers. I passed. So it turns out you can make some pretty epic mistakes and still pass. =) Thank goodness because the USMLE trauma is now over forever!
Congrats! I'm 3.5 weeks away from my test and I'm freaking out. I hope my epic mistakes aren't too epic on test day lol

Any tips???