Step 3 as PGY1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akhim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so how helpful is intern year in preparing you for Step 3? cause for the most part you only seeing OB/gyn cases, and you dont really see much primary care which step 3 focuses on. and so IF intern year isnt too helpful, then does it require you to study more independently for step 3?

i'm assuming that would be hard to do too considering the hours you need to put in for ob/gyn.

i'm asking because there's a program i'm ranking but they require you to take step 3 by the end of your intern year, but i also know that program has a high volume of cases.

Members don't see this ad.

You really shouldn't need to study a lot for Step 3. I took it in November while on a lighter rotation and I am an intern. I spent less than an hour a night doing practice questions for a couple weeks and that was more than adequate. I think taking step 3 in intern year of OB/Gyn residency is the way to go because the longer you wait, the more you will forget everything else.

so how helpful is intern year in preparing you for Step 3? cause for the most part you only seeing OB/gyn cases, and you dont really see much primary care which step 3 focuses on. and so IF intern year isnt too helpful, then does it require you to study more independently for step 3?

i'm assuming that would be hard to do too considering the hours you need to put in for ob/gyn.

i'm asking because there's a program i'm ranking but they require you to take step 3 by the end of your intern year, but i also know that program has a high volume of cases.

Most programs have you do a month of ICU which should help in inpatient medical management.

I had to take it intern year and it was fine. Just do UWorld questions and glance at a review book to go over peds and some of the other less common subjects and you will be fine. But I don't recommend you put it off until PGY2 or 3. You will forget a lot of non OB subjects and you really want to be focusing on increasing your OB GYN foundation at that point of your training for CREOGs and written boards etc.