Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grayce79

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just started studying for Step 2. Anyone else out there? It seems like all of these posts are just for Step 1! Been there, done that!

Members don't see this ad.

I planned on doing four blocks before taking a break, but after the hammering I took after 2 blocks, i took a 15 min. break to clear my head and regroup. you'll have to adapt and improvise as the exam goes on.

Uh oh, stomach's started twisting up in knots. I've never looked forward to a test so much in my life. I can't wait to worry about my ERAS application instead.

I went out to take 5 parts before lunch. I know I'm much better in the am, and after lunch, I go into a stupor and can't see straight when taking these tests.

After my moring coffee, I could only make it through two blocks before a pee break. Out for only 5 minutes, then did 2 more blocks. Need another 5 minute break, then finish out before lunch. After lunch, I did 2, another 5 minutes, and then the last.

Step 3 was much easier. I was out within 6 hours on day one and spent only 4 hours on day 2. Both days I was able to finish before a lunch break.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20049323

Members don't see this ad :)
imtiaz said:
ive got 900 questions down, about 425 to go. so far my cumulative is like 64% which really blows. ive run out of psych questions (76% correct), ob/gyn questions (65% correct), and surgery questions (55% correct :( ) most of the remaining questions are IM.

my scores have been going up just slightly with reading though. i started out with a 68% (this is the score i get most often) and have one or two 70%+ scores my highest being 74%. ive only taken random 50q blocks.

i think in the remaining 10 days or so i have left im gonna read up on trauma cause i got raped on that. the question i had for you guys is one of my friends recommended crush the boards and ive never even looked through it so i wonder if its worth reading at all. how crucial do you think this book is? right now im just going through first aid and boards & wards. i hadnt planned on using anything else.

the goal is to beat the mean. what do you think?
i just got my score: 216/88

finally got my scores back last friday: 227. not too shabby but was hoping for at least 230. i guess i can live with this score :(

229/93, took the test on June 30th, received my scores on July 30th.

Took about a month to report, same as my Step 1

Just finished Step II today. I spent 4 weeks studying while on an easy rotation. What I used:

Boards & Wards
First Aid
Crush (only used this for a quick review on select topics during the last week)
USMLE world (finished just over 1/2 of Qs averaging 69% -- read key points on all OB Qs)

Impression of MY exam:

Easier for me than Step I. I was not pressed for time on any section (usually finished 10-15 min early). I took 5 blocks before lunch/3 after and took short breaks in between each section for water/bathroom/snack breaks. I marked questions that I had serious doubts on and only wound up reviewing about 10 Qs per block. The questions were much less difficult than the average USMLE world question (not nearly the same level of detail). There were even a number of freebies with the classic buzz words and all.

Topics:

lots of peds (congenital, ID, CV, resp, GI, immunodeficiencies)
plenty of OB
CV stuff -- causes of secondary HTN, murmurs, and HF
electrolyte abnormalities (not a lot of acid/base q's though)
only 1 EKG (vtach)
fair # of psych q's
fair # of vitamin deficiencies (damn B vitamins!)
not a lot of biostats

Overall, I felt "good" about this exam, so now it's time to go blow of some steam! Good luck to all... I hope you get what you're aiming for.

Took it on 6/22. Got scores back on 7/29. Your dean's office should have them back in like 3 weeks if you can't wait for them to come back in the mail

Hey guys,

On the score report for the NBME Online ($45) tests, what do they mean by "Normal Development; Principles of Care"? I wanna work on that area, but I dunno what it is...Anyone know?

Thanks...

I took Step 2CK 7/9, and got my score back today (8/6). As luck would have it, I ended up scoring a 267.

I studied for 3 solid weeks. Starting with First Aid, then Q-bank, and finishing with as many USMLEasy questions as possible before test day.

Good luck everyone.

For those of you who did UW and have gotten passing scorfes back. Can you please share what your UW average was and what your USMLE score ended up being?

Thanks a million!

Took the test 6/27 and received my score on 7/27

264/99

I finished Q-bank with a 79% overall (all random blocks)
Took both of the 45$ NBME tests and scored 800 on both. I thought the real test was quite a bit harder than the practice tests.
I guess the tests must be really well designed since I scored within 1 point of Step 1.
Good luck to everyone!

I'm just starting to study for Step II CK, and need some advice. I already am certain that I'll use Secret's, the NBME questions, and certain supplementary books for each individual subject, and plan on giving myself enough time to study. However, I had some questions:

First Aid Step II vs Crush Step II? Or is Lippincot's Secrets enough of a summary book entirely? Do I need Boards and Wards as well?

Do I need Blueprints Emergency Medicine?

Do I need anything for biostatistics?

What should I use for questions? USMLEasy, USMLE woorld, or Q Bank?

I'd appreciate any and all replies.

dr. neek said:
Hey guys,

On the score report for the NBME Online ($45) tests, what do they mean by "Normal Development; Principles of Care"? I wanna work on that area, but I dunno what it is...Anyone know?

Thanks...

Normal development most likely refers to pediatric milestones, etc. I'm guessing that the associated Principles of Care would be ages for vaccine administration and suchlike well-child stuff. Good luck..

I just wanted to say thanks for all the people here posting good suggestions. I took my Step 2 7/28 and received my score today 8/24. Since I'm out of town I didn't get to check my score on paper, only thru phone with my school. I got 227 (dunno my 2 digit score). I was hoping for a 230 or above but I'm ok with what I got. I studied First Aid twice and Step 2 Secrets twice and did all the USMLE World questions as well as some Kaplan Qbank questions. I studied for 3-4 weeks total. I scored about 60-65% on the avg for USMLEWorld I think. I'm so glad this is behind me, now off to my research year! I wish everyone good luck on their exams.

My scores arrived today.... Improved 15 points over step I!
Time to treat myself to a few brews :D