Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dasspuler

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure someone has already asked this question but I am applying this year and I was wondering when the best time to take the Step 2 is? Currently I am thinking at the end of november but I want to make sure taking the exam that late won't count against me.
Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Step 2 is definitely not needed to for neurosurgery. I know that of all the applicants at our program only a handful had taken Step 2 (or at least had provided Step 2 scores in their application). Most of those that had done so had less-than-ideal Step 1 scores.

If your Step 1 score is high, there is no reason to take Step 2 before the match unless a program requires it or it just works better with your schedule. Check with some of the programs...i.e., call and ask the coordinator or residency director to see what their feelings are in regards to Step 2.

If you are a DO or FMG/IMG candidate, then this may differ. Doing well on both Step 1 and Step 2 in this case will likely be encouraged.