USMLE Step 2 CS Resource Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Getting prepped to start my Step 2 CS studying and had a few questions

1) Does anyone know the differences between First Aid Step 2 CS 5th and 6th Edition? I had already purchase the 5th edition but now see the new edition out. Trying to see if its worth the squeeze.

2) Any insight into the kaplan books?
- Patient Cases
- Complex Cases
- Core Cases

3) Any other useful resources?

Members don't see this ad.

I felt like first aid CS was outdated.
I think the most helpful thing is to actually use the note form from nbme and just practice. Most likely US med student will fail the ICE component, so focus on improving your ICE. I actually liked all those 3 Kaplan books you mentioned. Those are way better than FA.

Reactions: 1 user
In my experience (took my exam last year), reading First Aid CS 5e once was a sufficient enough resource to pass. I also had just come off a non-clinical year, so I was a bit more rusty compared to your average MS3/4 at the time.

Not worth spending more on resources IMO if your only goal is to pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Took it end of October 2017. I used the 4th edition and my study partner had the 5th edition. There were some differences between those two, but not enough for me to justify spending any more money if you read the CS manual and are familiar with the format of the note.

5th edition should be more than enough to pass on it's own

Best advice is to practice writing the notes as this is where the majority of your ICE score comes from. You can mess up and miss a fair amount and still do well. My tips for each section

SEP: Speak clear, concise English
CIS: Be empathetic, ask social questions while waiting for hand sanitizer to dry (ie if you're taking it in Philly soon, "Did you go to the Super Bowl Parade?") or make brief small/joke talk to establish rapport when they mention what they do for a living. Follow the PEARLS mnemonic in first aid. Finally, don't show your personal feelings if a patient expresses a lifestyle choice you disagree with (homosexual, drug abuse, etc)
ICE: Practice, practice, practice writing that damn note and getting the formatting down. Make sure it's clear, concise and consistent follows a pattern (CC,HPI,ROS,PMH,PSH,SH,FH) for history and (Vitals, HEENT/CVS/Lung/Abdomen/Extremities/Neuro) for physical. Also make sure to write pertinent negatives in the supporting justifications section of your diagnosis, I think this cost me some points and was the reason I dipped into borderline for ICE

As for other resources, I used UWorld and thought it was great, but there was some conflicting workups with First Aid and on one case in particular in the real exam, I wasn't sure which tests I wanted to order or didn't want to order. It's probably overkill, but if you're nervous and want to make sure you pass, it's worth the purchase just because you get an extra 40+ practice cases

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Took it end of October 2017. I used the 4th edition and my study partner had the 5th edition. There were some differences between those two, but not enough for me to justify spending any more money if you read the CS manual and are familiar with the format of the note.

5th edition should be more than enough to pass on it's own

Best advice is to practice writing the notes as this is where the majority of your ICE score comes from. You can mess up and miss a fair amount and still do well. My tips for each section

SEP: Speak clear, concise English
CIS: Be empathetic, ask social questions while waiting for hand sanitizer to dry (ie if you're taking it in Philly soon, "Did you go to the Super Bowl Parade?") or make brief small/joke talk to establish rapport when they mention what they do for a living. Follow the PEARLS mnemonic in first aid. Finally, don't show your personal feelings if a patient expresses a lifestyle choice you disagree with (homosexual, drug abuse, etc)
ICE: Practice, practice, practice writing that damn note and getting the formatting down. Make sure it's clear, concise and consistent follows a pattern (CC,HPI,ROS,PMH,PSH,SH,FH) for history and (Vitals, HEENT/CVS/Lung/Abdomen/Extremities/Neuro) for physical. Also make sure to write pertinent negatives in the supporting justifications section of your diagnosis, I think this cost me some points and was the reason I dipped into borderline for ICE

As for other resources, I used UWorld and thought it was great, but there was some conflicting workups with First Aid and on one case in particular in the real exam, I wasn't sure which tests I wanted to order or didn't want to order. It's probably overkill, but if you're nervous and want to make sure you pass, it's worth the purchase just because you get an extra 40+ practice cases
As Bully nicely explained, really focus on the ICE part!