Step 2 CS Done!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mossjoh

Mayo Clinic-PGY2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I finished Step 2 CS! While I will provide no details per USMLE policy, I will say it wasn't as bad as I expected. I did run out of time on two encounters right after my physical exam, but had explained my differential earlier in both cases when asked by the patient. I also feel I totally may have blew one diagnosis, thinking it was something else, but only realized it on the way home.

I always called the patient by their formal name, introduced myself, draped the patient when I walked in, washed my hands, asked to start the exam, untie gown etc. I'm sure I missed stuff on my histories at times, but its hard to really dig when you're time is limited.

The staff and SPs in Chicago were all very nice. Good luck everyone

Mossjoh

Now just praying I don't need to go back :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Mossjoh said:
Hey everyone, I finished Step 2 CS! While I will provide no details, I will say it wasn't as bad as I expected. I did run out of time on two encounters right after my physical exam, but had explained my differential earlier in both cases when asked by the patient. I also feel I totally may have blew one diagnosis, thinking it was something else, but only realized it on the way home.

I always called the patient by their formal name, introduced myself, draped the patient when I walked in, washed my hands, asked to start the exam, untie gown etc. I'm sure I missed stuff on my histories at times, but its hard to really dig when you're time is limited.

The staff and SPs in Chicago were all very nice.

Mossjoh

Now just praying I don't need to go back :rolleyes:

I also took mine in chicago last week and very glad to have it over with.

I did NOT however untie any gowns..........what are you referring to? just slid them up for abd and kept gown over there pelvic area.

good luck,

later

Congratulations on being done. I won't even bother asking if you think it was worth paying $1000.00 for. ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I received my CS results in less than 3 weeks. Who'da thought?

So anyway, I completely missed doing most of the work on one station (made it through the hx and listened to his heart and that's it), totally missed the diagnosis on another 3-4 patients, performed a crappy physical exam on just about every encounter that consisted of only listening to the heart and lungs (and maybe one other thing), neglected an MMSE on one case, and ran out of time on probably 3 others. But I countered all this ICE suckage with more chitchat smalltalk/crap than I did over all of third year combined. Fake empathy, scrunched eyebrows, and plenty of shoulder pats to go around.

And I passed. Hooray! People really aren't joking when they say this test was created to address doctor/patient communication issues and not much else.

Stinger86 said:
Wow, I received my CS results in less than 3 weeks. Who'da thought?

So anyway, I completely missed doing most of the work on one station (made it through the hx and listened to his heart and that's it), totally missed the diagnosis on another 3-4 patients, performed a crappy physical exam on just about every encounter that consisted of only listening to the heart and lungs (and maybe one other thing), neglected an MMSE on one case, and ran out of time on probably 3 others. But I countered all this ICE suckage with more chitchat smalltalk/crap than I did over all of third year combined. Fake empathy, scrunched eyebrows, and plenty of shoulder pats to go around.

And I passed. Hooray! People really aren't joking when they say this test was created to address doctor/patient communication issues and not much else.
I took mine in Philadelphia on the 27th of July--and am praying I don't have to go back! I actually had a lot of fun with a couple of the SP's--older, English ladies. Very pleasant. We talked about growing tomatoes! :oops:

It sounds like I did most of the same...no shoulder pats, but just quickie physical exams, and A LOT of chit-chat.

Good Luck to everyone!

bigfrank said:
Stinger: I think we perform similar PE's!

Does your ortho exam consist of pressing on the painful area, telling the patient to "move it around, please", and then recommending an xray/mri?

I had to do that on 3-4 patients. I still can't believe I passed.