Step 2 CS a few days ago..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

step2CrushSoul

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took Step 2 CS. Feel nervous - as expected I suppose.

My concerns are 4 things..
1) After reading FA for CS, I noticed that they recommended listening to the heart in at least 2 locations. So that's what I did. On the skin, but only in 2 locations
2) In terms of ROS overall, I didn't ask all the questions. For specific issues, I would ask about the relevant ROS findings, but I never went thru everything. and subsequently didn't have it in my notes.
3) For the history, I generally filled out all of it - even if there was nothing pertinent. Ex: PMHx: none. And I think I forgot to document allergies in the majority.
4) Some of my PE notes were slightly strange to look at. For example
"Musk:
_____ exam:: XYZ
Muscle strength:: ZYX"

What do you guys think? 1 month of anxiety necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

@Ismet
CS is a strange test. I hope I pass that nonsense. Most of my HPIs had only 400-500 characters. And a lot a lot my my diagnoses were supported by only 2 findings. I could only come up with only 2 solid diagnoses in a few cases. Please God make me pass that test.

My result will come out in February, so there will be no time to redeem myself. Oh boy! That is a scary prospect for the match.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@Ismet
CS is a strange test. I hope I pass that nonsense. Most of my HPIs had only 400-500 characters. And a lot a lot my my diagnoses was supported by only 2 findings. I could only come up with only 2 solid diagnoses in a few cases. Please God make me pass that test.

My result will come out in February, so there will be no time to redeem myself. Oh boy! That is a scary prospect for the match.

I'm pretty sure that's how mine was. There were only a couple cases where I had 3 diagnoses. Passed very comfortably.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yes. And in one encounter, I cleaned my hands at the start of the encounter, but forgot to for the physical exam.
Huge nono?

Oh yes. And in one encounter, I cleaned my hands at the start of the encounter, but forgot to for the physical exam.
Huge nono?

You don't have to wash hands twice. When you enter the room is fine, as long as the patient saw it or saw you rubbing hand sanitizer in your hands.

I used the sanitizer when I entered the room (it's gross to shake someone's hand with a dirty hand) and then on one patient I had to examine the feet so I washed my hands after that and before doing another part of the exam, which the SP thanked me for. Between the history and physical all you do is hold the clipboard and a pencil, you don't need to re-clean your hands.

Reactions: 1 user
If you f-ed up, you'd know. You know so well that you f-ed up, even during the test. You come out of the testing center feeling s-ty. As days go by, # of mistakes you remember increases, especially in the bed before you fall asleep. You kick your blanket. Repeat x 1-2 mo. You realize you pass comfortably. You move on. Months later, you're an MD.

Reactions: 3 users
I passed that nonsense ... I spent 2 months agonizing about it, but in the end I passed. Will start IM residency in July.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users