Step 2 CK Score Lower than Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tester55

Reaction score
Not really sure how it happen tbh.

UWorld 1st pass; 68% - 2nd pass 87%
UWSA 1: 251
UWSA2: 249
Real deal: 226

Step 1: 231

I decreased 5 points and I am extremely disappointed in myself. I honestly have no idea what happen. I am sure this decrease will come up in interviews and I have no explanation for it. I am going for IM and am sure I will match, but I also want a decent program to be able to do Gastro. I am sure my reaches before are not attainable now and I also don't want a low tier program. I am AOA, exactly half my rotations are honors, shelves were average, lots of EC's, 1 publication coming out. I know this hurts my chances, but I also literally have no explanation or anything to bring to the table if/when programs ask about my drop. Have should I handle this?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what to say, except that I'm in a similar boat:

4th year DO student - applying gas and IM
Step 1: 229
Step 2: 228 (Literally have no idea what happened)
COMLEX Level 1: 627
COMLEX Level 2: score pending
No research/pubs, decent volunteering experience, some leadership stuff
Class rank: 2nd quartile
Clerkships were mostly As, got 2 Bs
Sigma Sigma Phi (basically AOA for DOs)

I've talked to a few people who also did a few points worse on Step 2 and ended up doing fine. And while I also feel pretty crappy and hopeless right now, I think all we can do at this point is apply broadly and hope for the best. Hoping someone can provide more advice on what to do from here and suggest programs to look into.

I would say your Step 1 scores are quite good and yes you might be a bit dissappointed about your Step 2 score but programs will take into account that it's one day and maybe you were just off that day. It's not just all about board exam scores especailly if you have good LORs, clerkships marks, research, etc. Don't stress too much. When did u guys take Step 2ck?

I would say your Step 1 scores are quite good and yes you might be a bit dissappointed about your Step 2 score but programs will take into account that it's one day and maybe you were just off that day. It's not just all about board exam scores especailly if you have good LORs, clerkships marks, research, etc. Don't stress too much. When did u guys take Step 2ck?

I took mine 6/17