Step 2 CK for TY/Prelim Ranking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've reviewed some of the previous threads, but I can't find any good answers. Does Step 2 CK matter for TY/Prelim ranking?

I see a lot of generic answers like "Why would they rank someone when they have other applicants with Step 2 CK already done?" or "You have nothing to lose by studying for Step 2 CK besides your free time."

My situation though: 260+ on Step 1, AOA, 50+ manuscripts. Took a year off for research so it's been like 1.5 years since I've had a legitimate clinical rotation so will not do well unless lots of time to study. I don't have time to study as I still have another away in Oct/Nov and interviews all of Dec-Jan. So...I won't be losing just "free time" and given the rest of my app, I find it really hard to believe they would hold not having Step 2 CK against me and just move on to the next applicant...

I'm applying for derm and it doesn't seem to matter for that. But for TY/prelim, does it? Can I just get like a 230?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've reviewed some of the previous threads, but I can't find any good answers. Does Step 2 CK matter for TY/Prelim ranking?

I see a lot of generic answers like "Why would they rank someone when they have other applicants with Step 2 CK already done?" or "You have nothing to lose by studying for Step 2 CK besides your free time."

My situation though: 260+ on Step 1, AOA, 50+ manuscripts. Took a year off for research so it's been like 1.5 years since I've had a legitimate clinical rotation so will not do well unless lots of time to study. I don't have time to study as I still have another away in Oct/Nov and interviews all of Dec-Jan. So...I won't be losing just "free time" and given the rest of my app, I find it really hard to believe they would hold not having Step 2 CK against me and just move on to the next applicant...

I'm applying for derm and it doesn't seem to matter for that. But for TY/prelim, does it? Can I just get like a 230?

At this point just know that some programs will use it to rank you (looking at NRMP surveys seems like it might be the 5th most important thing for ranking, after step 1, interview, etc.) so yes do the best you can, but considering your other accomplishments you are obviously in good standing already.

Each program will have its own focus, contingent on the aim of the program and PD. But, if I see a 260 initially and then a 230 on Step 2, I'm (personally) going to lift an eyebrow. Whereas going from 230 to 260 makes me nod my head. If there is a significant drop from step 1 to 2 (subjective what "significant" is), I'm going to certainly evaluate the MSPE and LOR's with "significantly" more scrutiny.

But not every TY program will do that. It all depends on where you fall in with their filters and goals of their program.