MD & DO Step 1 Officially P/F >= 01/26/2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean the direct solution to overapplication is app caps but SDN will burst into flames of pure rage anytime app caps are mentioned

True, app caps could theoretically work, but it goes hand in hand with increased transparency by programs into what they are looking for. (Score ranges, AOA, clinical grades, type/duration of research) so people can more intelligently apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So will residency directors actually see a score (Step 1 in 2022), even if you take it P/F? Can scoring high give you a competitive edge or do they just see a P/F?

Members don't see this ad :)
So will residency directors actually see a score (Step 1 in 2022), even if you take it P/F? Can scoring high give you a competitive edge or do they just see a P/F?
Smart people who have a score will save the score report and then include it in their residency app, attached to their CV perhaps

Smart people who have a score will save the score report and then include it in their residency app, attached to their CV perhaps
If you test before 2022, PDs will be able to see your score. No need to "slip it in".

If you test after 1/26/2022, no one will ever see your score.

My position on this is continuously evolving but right now I can not help but feel "LOL wtf" for the applicants applying for competitive fields who're invested and then get a lesser Step 2 CK score. What are applicants going to do then? There’s going to be so many in that spot. How are programs going to respond?

I predict it’s not going to be a spectacle, but there are a LOT of people who’re going to get screwed. Eventually the system will adjust and that’s what I’m hopefully for. I’d like to see earlier integration of clinical material to allow earlier Step 2CK administration time.

My position on this is continuously evolving but right now I can not help but feel "LOL wtf" for the applicants applying for competitive fields who're invested and then get a lesser Step 2 CK score. What are applicants going to do then? There’s going to be so many in that spot. How are programs going to respond?

I predict it’s not going to be a spectacle, but there are a LOT of people who’re going to get screwed. Eventually the system will adjust and that’s what I’m hopefully for. I’d like to see earlier integration of clinical material to allow earlier Step 2CK administration time.
I can’t imagine throwing 3 years into making an otherwise stellar derm or surgical app only to not have the score. At that point, you’ve got such a targeted app, away rotations at least scheduled if not already completed. Letters in the field, etc. Every IM PD will know you don’t want to be there.

I would hope that scores would become less important and only make a difference on the far ends of the curve. But I doubt that’ll be the case.

I can’t imagine throwing 3 years into making an otherwise stellar derm or surgical app only to not have the score. At that point, you’ve got such a targeted app, away rotations at least scheduled if not already completed. Letters in the field, etc. Every IM PD will know you don’t want to be there.

I would hope that scores would become less important and only make a difference on the far ends of the curve. But I doubt that’ll be the case.
I really hope people in this case with borderline CK scores get a pass.

I'm curious - has anyone turned Step 2 materials into a 30,000 flashcard deck yet? I feel like that's inevitable and we're going to see people using it as early as MS1

I'm curious - has anyone turned Step 2 materials into a 30,000 flashcard deck yet? I feel like that's inevitable and we're going to see people using it as early as MS1
They already have and It is only a 13K deck max. Its wayyy more manageable

Members don't see this ad :)
do you know what deck it is specifically?
I do the orignal dorian. some use cheezy, which gets rid of repeats. I did not mind the repeats and I see myself as a weaker student, but its 3k more cards and now that Im approaching dedicated I'm kicking myself that choice.

If you call hundreds of thousands of flashcards and multiple Qbanks "studying medicine" then sure
“Studying medicine” is such a vague term that it’s not really useful in this context. If I’m reading from a book to learn the key features of HSP as well as its treatment, how is that any different than learning from flash cards or a Q bank? Sure, it will be different when I see it in real life, and it will likely cement it in a different fashion in my mind, but if I could recognize it the first time I see it by having studied, should I not then study to prepare? Are you suggesting that people should give up efficient and effective methods of long-term retention over some idealistic belief of what “learning medicine” should look like? Because I promise you, that even if we got rid of all the tests, you (you as a general term, I definitely would) would still have to study books or do notecards or question banks to learn all the facts necessary to understand medicine.

“Studying medicine” is such a vague term that it’s not really useful in this context. If I’m reading from a book to learn the key features of HSP as well as its treatment, how is that any different than learning from flash cards or a Q bank? Sure, it will be different when I see it in real life, and it will likely cement it in a different fashion in my mind, but if I could recognize it the first time I see it by having studied, should I not then study to prepare? Are you suggesting that people should give up efficient and effective methods of long-term retention over some idealistic belief of what “learning medicine” should look like? Because I promise you, that even if we got rid of all the tests, you (you as a general term, I definitely would) would still have to study books or do notecards or question banks to learn all the facts necessary to understand medicine.
My personal experience was that going from 220s to 250s was mostly memorizing specific esoteria they like to test and relentlessly practicing pattern recognition of the ways they like to test it. I understand others disagree. I've never, ever felt like I could guess my classmates board scores from spending time with them on the wards, but again I know others disagree about that too.

My personal experience was that going from 220s to 250s was mostly memorizing specific esoteria they like to test and relentlessly practicing pattern recognition of the ways they like to test it. I understand others disagree. I've never, ever felt like I could guess my classmates board scores from spending time with them on the wards, but again I know others disagree about that too.
Isn't pattern recognition the key to doing well on any standardized test

If you call hundreds of thousands of flashcards and multiple Qbanks "studying medicine" then sure
lol apparently I havent been studying medicine for the past 3 years. Never mind that doing various anki decks is the equivalent of reading through several thick medical textbooks that most other students don't even touch or flip through and call that "reading"

Last edited:
lol apparently I havent been studying medicine for the past 3 years. Never mind that doing various anki decks is the equivalent of reading through several thick medical textbooks that most other students don't even touch or flip through and call that "reading"
Yeah I was such a fool, listening to my professors in small group instead of banging through flashcards on my phone. You'll be such a better doc than me, hats off

We need to reduce preclinical to 1 year with very heavy clinical exposure. Then spend the next 3 years in the wards.
idk how you plan to learn all that phys path pharm, etc in 1 year

B&B/Pathoma/Sketchy right from the start

Several schools do it without an issue for a while, so i think that can be fairly expanded everywhere.
I've heard of 1.5 but never 1. Do these schools take step 1 after one year of medical school? this seems like turning up the burnout dial to 11

sacrificing a strong preclinical foundation would appear to erode the differences between physicians and NPs to me

Reactions: 2 users
I've heard of 1.5 but never 1. Do these schools take step 1 after one year of medical school? this seems like turning up the burnout dial to 11

sacrificing a strong preclinical foundation would appear to erode the differences between physicians and NPs to me
Theyve had 1 year for a while now at Duke I want to say? And or HMS? Especially with step 1 going back to a minor concern, theres no way it should take longer

Michigan/HMS does it and i think they still take Step 1 after 2nd year

The value of preclinical education was already eroded when B&B/Pathoma/Sketchy proved to be way better than school lectures and Step 1 went P/F. The corporatization of medicine already made physicians comparable to midlevels

This.

Absolutely cut it down to 1.5 years. Nbd at all if we cut out the stupid stuff. No one needs to know which chromosome number is affected in myotonic dystrophy, what the actual gene is, and what the specific trinucleotide sequence is. But I do and there’s no reason I should.

But we can’t cut pharm, micro, and pathophys at all. If we do that we might as well just go to NP school.

Reactions: 1 users
This.

Absolutely cut it down to 1.5 years. Nbd at all if we cut out the stupid stuff. No one needs to know which chromosome number is affected in myotonic dystrophy, what the actual gene is, and what the specific trinucleotide sequence is. But I do and there’s no reason I should.

But we can’t cut pharm, micro, and pathophys at all. If we do that we might as well just go to NP school.
It's all compressed into 1 yr. Pharm, micro and pathology are still there.

That’s cool I guess. I can’t imagine grinding that hard though. My hair would catch on fire. More power to them. I’d also hate being a med student on wards for 3 years. Ugh.

I just have a hard time believing you can adequately learn all that material in just 12 months.

That’s cool I guess. I can’t imagine grinding that hard though. My hair would catch on fire. More power to them. I’d also hate being a med student on wards for 3 years. Ugh.
I just have a hard time believing you can adequately learn all that material in just 12 months.
It looks excessive because the idea is to give a general preclinical foundation before smoothening the transition to wards where everything begins to make sense, which would help for Step 1 prep. The schools that follow this all generally follow this structure but there are school-specific differences on how this is done.

With Step 1 now P/F, there isn't any reason to spend 2 years or even 1.5 yrs on preclinical when the tried and tested 1 yr approach clearly shows strong Step outcomes. Studying to pass quite literally guarantees passing Step 1

It looks excessive because the idea is to give a general preclinical foundation before smoothening the transition to wards where everything begins to make sense, which would help for Step 1 prep. The schools that follow this all generally follow this structure but there are school-specific differences on how this is done.

With Step 1 now P/F, there isn't any reason to spend 2 years or even 1.5 yrs on preclinical when the tried and tested 1 yr approach clearly shows strong Step outcomes. Studying to pass quite literally guarantees passing Step 1
So its not actually 1 year, its 1 year of pre clinician and then a year that is 50/50 clinical and preclinical topics?

So its not actually 1 year, its 1 year of pre clinician and then a year that is 50/50 clinical and preclinical topics?
No they cut out a lot of fluff and cram everything into 1 year. I know it sounds intense but it doesn't look bad

Here's a sample:

UMHS10790SciTrunkOverview8.5x8REV_030321_2.jpg

I've seen a lot about step 2 ck just replacing step 1, which makes sense. However, I have also heard that step 2 isn't as "difficult"/ is not as good to stratify people since most people do pretty well and there is not as much variation as there is in step 1. is this true?
The mean/SD of S1 is 232+/-19
The mean/SD of S2 is 245+/-15

On average, people score higher on S2 than S1. Whether that means the test isn't as difficult, or it's just a scoring epiphenomenon is unclear. Also the minimum pass of S2 is much higher (203) than S1 (194).

So basically the scales are different, the S2 numbers "look better", but they are basically the same. The S2 SD is somewhat smaller so the scores are somewhat more bunched together -- 95% of the S2 scores are in a 60 point range, where it's 80 points for S1. But that's not really anything meaningful.

If you test after 1/26/2022, no one will ever see your score.
Including you.

No they cut out a lot of fluff and cram everything into 1 year. I know it sounds intense but it doesn't look bad

Here's a sample:

UMHS10790SciTrunkOverview8.5x8REV_030321_2.jpg
I made a separate thread on exactly this today. This is exactly how it should be. Didactics should be continued in M2 but students should also be doing clerkships. See that thread if you're interested in what I'd do I guess (was bored this afternoon).

I've seen a lot about step 2 ck just replacing step 1, which makes sense. However, I have also heard that step 2 isn't as "difficult"/ is not as good to stratify people since most people do pretty well and there is not as much variation as there is in step 1. is this true?
S2 CK is easier as the average increase score from S1 to S2 CK is 10 to 15 points. Average S2 CK scores for most MD schools are in the 240+ range and there seem to be less stratification than S1. So I do think your CV/EC and school reputation will play a big role in matching.

I wonder what students are going to try to do here. Take it earlier or delay to just go with P/F?

FWIW, I asked a PD here what would be the best option, and he said that it’s very likely PDs will be told to ignore step 1 completely (except whether they passed first time) so that there’s no advantage given to one group of applicants.

S2 CK is easier as the average increase score from S1 to S2 CK is 10 to 15 points. Average S2 CK scores for most MD schools are in the 240+ range and there seem to be less stratification than S1. So I do think your CV/EC and school reputation will play a big role in matching.
But doesn't S2CK have lower percentiles than S1? As in a given score on S1 has a higher percentile than the same score on S2CK.

The difficulty of the tests have always been from the competition, not the material itself. Step 2 CK will be just as important as Step 1, people will care just as much, study just as hard, and getting XX percentile will be exactly the same rarity.

The difficulty of the tests have always been from the competition, not the material itself. Step 2 CK will be just as important as Step 1, people will care just as much, study just as hard, and getting XX percentile will be exactly the same rarity.
100% agree. S2 CK scores may jump even higher now because of what you said and we will only have one test that is scored. More people will pass for sure. The question will be straification of the scores.

In what way?
Have you ever taken the old practice forms from 10+ years ago and noticed they're an absolute joke? As performamce creeps constantly higher they have to use more and more "hard" items that will have a meaningful number of folks getting them wrong

Reactions: 1 users
Have you ever taken the old practice forms from 10+ years ago and noticed they're an absolute joke? As performamce creeps constantly higher they have to use more and more "hard" items that will have a meaningful number of folks getting them wrong

I’m a first year - never looked at those forms. Honestly I know very little about CK other than that’s it’s more clinically oriented than Step 1.

I understand that they may gradually increase the difficulty so that everyone’s not acing it, but was there an actual content change?

I’m a first year - never looked at those forms. Honestly I know very little about CK other than that’s it’s more clinically oriented than Step 1.

I understand that they may gradually increase the difficulty so that everyone’s not acing it, but was there an actual content change?
Oh gotcha. To give you some numbers we can use Form 18.

In 2015-2016, 90% correct equated to a 260.

In 2018-2019, 90% correct equated to 248.

The questions didnt change but people's ability to get them right in high amounts did. So they rolled out a new set of "harder" practice forms and retired the older ones. Essentially the questions just got more obscure or had additional levels of recall. Instead of asking you whether a drug is a CYP inhibitor or induced, theyll ask you to know the CYP subtype, that kind of thing. It makes it feel "harder" for everyone taking it, but the rarity of a 90th percentile score stays the same, the scaled average just keeps climbing.