States that don't require STEP 3 for license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beebop567

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My buddy finished a residency but can't pass step 3. I'm posting here to try to help him. Is there any state that doesn't require STEP 3 for licensure?

Please don't be mean, rude, or condescending. I'm here to help out a friend and any helpful/kind advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no state that allows you to get a physician medical license without passing step 3. Missouri allows you to get a PA license if you passed step 1 and 2.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

My buddy finished a residency but can't pass step 3. I'm posting here to try to help him. Is there any state that doesn't require STEP 3 for licensure?

Please don't be mean, rude, or condescending. I'm here to help out a friend and any helpful/kind advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
One cannot practice as a physician in the United States without passing Step 3. The only alternatives would be going abroad, as some countries accept US training (Australia, NZ, Canada) so long as you can pass their board exams, which are generally considered to be far less difficult. Highly recommend just cranking away at UW as if it is their job if they want to practice in the US though, as a few months of hard study would likely pay off very well compared to heading out of country.

Unfortunately, all US states require you to pass the USMLE Step III. I know this, because I hired a company to license me in many states, and they explained this was a necessity. Most state boards even have restrictions on how many pass attempts you may have.