Statement of need; Canadian IMG applying for US Residency on J-1 Visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LydiaM*

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just want to make sure I understood this process correctly:
I am applying for a J-1 visa as a Canadian citizen. There aren't any limitations regarding specialties to obtain a statement of need, so the only thing would be the two-year return of service in Canada (which can be waived by working 3 years in an undersered area), yes?
The "intention to return to Canada" isn't an obligation, correct? If for example someone can't find an employment opportunity, they can continue working as a physician in the United States, right?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The number of J-1 waivers is limited, so you can't just get "any job" in the US. technically, to get a J-1 you need to state that your intention is to return to Canada, but most people who get a J-1 don't actually plan to return. Not being able to find a job in Canada doesn't automatically let you stay in the US.

Essentially the above.

If you match on a J1 visa, you must return to your home country for 2 years OR you need to find a job on a visa that waives that requirement (J1 waiver)

This limits you to two options really:

1) A J1 waiver job
- three year commitment
- generally limited in number (e.g. CONRAD 30), and prioritized towards primary care fields e.g. internal med, family med
- there are some exceptions e.g. the Veterans Administration who have no numerical limitations, but obviously will only post a limited number of opportunities as they must attempt to hire an american citizen first

2) Applying for an O-1 visa on the basis of your exceptional ability
- this option allows you to work after a J1, but does not remove your home country obligation, it just delays it

Reactions: 1 user