Spouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CruiseLover

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If your wife is a medical student, does the military try to place professional couples together during active duty? Do both need to do military or is it better for one to be civilian to receive the best chance of staying together?

Members don't see this ad.

If your wife is a medical student, does the military try to place professional couples together during active duty? Do both need to do military or is it better for one to be civilian to receive the best chance of staying together?

I think the military will take your needs into consideration; however, I think that a married couple, even if they are serving only for a short period of time, four years active duty, can expect to spend some time seperated, under the best of circumstances. I considered and signed up for the Navy during my junior year of dental school, 1980, I was pretty much told I could stay in Philadelphia where my husband and I attended school. My husband was also interested, but the Navy recruiter told him that there was no way they would guarantee he would not go Fleet Marine Force, and that he, more than likely, would be stationed somewhere down south. I guess I could have considered requesting to be at a base with him, but that meant we both could have been FMF at some time during our active duty period. At that time the military obligation was six years, three years active and three years reserve. Neither of us were scholarship candidates. That program was closed the year my husband entered dental school, 1977, as the military had more than enough candidates signing up without the scholarship incentive. I think you should meet with a recruiter to discuss your particular situation. They may have some constructive suggestions. Maybe one branch of the military would be better for you than the others. In our situation, we decided that he would stay a civilian, and I would enter the military and stay in Philadelphia for three years, hopefully. I had our first child during my third year of active duty and made it clear that I was not interested in re-signing. At the time, very few pregnant women stayed, most requested seperation during their pregnancy which was usually granted. Times have changed and a separation for pregnancy is not as common or as easily approved as it was in my day. Luckily, I did stay at the Philadelphia Navy Yard for all three years while my husband worked in the area. We were able to set up a practice that I joined after active duty. It worked out well for us. One thing to consider is should one of you stay a civilian and the other goes active duty and although being assured of a base, gets moved, it could present licensing and moving issues. Good Luck.

The military will try to do what they can to help you stay at the same duty station. Not sure how it works with the Air Force or Army, but the navy does really try hard to get you both at the same duty station. Sometimes there's no way around it and you end up separated...whether it's no availabe billets, deployments, etc...that's why there's family separation pay I guess!