Other Specialties dealing with urgent / emergent care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kellen914

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I apologize if this post is in the wrong place, but I was wondering if some experienced students/residents could help me out.

Without seeming morbid, I have an interest in patients who need urgent/emergent interventions and care. I started off having an interest in Emergency Medicine for this reason. After shadowing more emergency medicine, it began to fall farther down my list of interests due to the drug seekers, the non emergent cases (ex. pt comes in with lump on arm. sebaceous cyst), etc.

Is there a specialty that pertains more to the quick interventional emergencies? Would it be easier to list the medical professions that rarely see these at all? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry - don't know this for a fact, but it seems like heading towards Urgent Care would *increase* the things that you list as downsides. Urgent care is meant for acute/sub-acute things that aren't appropriate for the ED but things you want to deal with before you can get into your PCP. If someone needs emergent care, they belong in an ED.