Specializations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rinaldi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You'll have to forgive this somewhat general inquiry, but I was curious to know what the deal is regarding specialization in the military (that is, including Army Medical Corps, the Navy, and the Air Force). I've read that the position of a to-be resident in the military determined in part, of course, by that to-be resident's scores and application to that residency program but that this is also determined by a needs of the branch. Does this mean that a medical school graduate who seeks a future in surgery or anesthesiology is at risk of being placed into another field if the military does not have any available "slots," if you will, for surgeons or anesthesiologists?

Many thanks in advance.
-Rinaldi

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot speak for all branches as they are all different (but mostly similar), but I can speak for the Army as a 4yr HPSP student graduating next year. Basically, the Army has needs, but so do you. It is important to realize this before you start.

(All of the following numbers and specialities are for demonstration purposes and are not to scale!)
For example, the Army projects a need for 20 new surgeons in 5 years. There is the capacity in the Army to train all 20 of these surgeons (sufficient residency spaces). Also, for example, say there are 50 students who want to train in surgery. Up to this point it's pretty similar to the civilian match except on a smaller (and potentially, more competitive) scale. The difference is where do the remaining 30 students go. This is why you must choose 5 programs (see the post in this forum for more details) for the Army match. Say for example there are only 4 programs for surgery in the Army (I don't recall the actual number, remember this is for demonstration only). Your best bet would be to rank those 4 programs as your top choices (and interview at each spot), but then you must choose something else for number 5. Most rational people would choose a transitional program and then reapply after finishing that (that's another entire post in and of itself).

The story is different in the specialities that the Army does not have the capacity to sufficiently train all the physicians for its needs (Orthopedic surgery is one such specialty). In this case the Army will give out deferrments for training at civilian programs (but the Army's needs still apply and the number of deferments + the number of Army-trained residents is decided by the Army's projected need).

That being said, the real question is "How many people get one of their top choices?" For the Army the figure tossed around is usually 85% of students get either their first or second choice. Therefore it is really not all that different than the regular match, just for the most part, consider the military programs to be the more competitive and do well in school. You will succeed.

2Lt GeoLeoX

ps. as I am currently in the middle of ERAS and the Army match application, feel free to ask me any questions about it.

Thanks for helping us out! I'm going to USUHS next year and I had some questions... there is no good resource for military residencies!

If you don't match for your specialty in the military, do you think it would be eaier or harder to match in the civilian match?

Whe it comes to fellowships, is there a match process for those, or do you just apply? Do the available fellowships change from year to year?

Does your med school counsel (force) you to apply to certain residencies based on the strength of your application? Or does the 85% figure really represent what each student wanted to match into?

Thanks! Alison

Like I said, my experience is with the Army and all branches are different.

"If you don't match for your specialty in the military, do you think it would be eaier or harder to match in the civilian match?"

First, it is unlikely that you won't match in the military. The number of deferments are very limited and are only available in certain fields. (See the previous post for more about deferments and who gets them). In the Army if you do get a deferment you enter the civilian (NRMP) match. They (civilian residency directors)will know that you didn't match because you specify on the ERAS application that you have a military obligation, and residency directors will probably know when the military match is. If you didn't match because there are not enough military spots and they need more physicians in that field then there's the deferment. You are in the same boat as everyone else out there in the civilian match.

However, it should be noted that USUHS students do not get deferments. They must do a military internship. That being said I can't give you any advice to answer your question about steering toward a particular specialty - maybe someone from USUHS can answer that.

I am not sure how fellowships work in the military - I think that there is a match for that as well, like for civilian fellowships.

Hope this helps,
Geo