Navy Special Pay Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's encouraging that at least someone in the Senate gets it, but I'm going to temper my excitement until I see the annual special pay guidance.

Maybe I'll allow myself a quiet, secret moment of hope when (if) it's signed into law. :) But the service gets the final chop on it, so ...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard from the grapevine that when you finish residency you are immediately eligible for speciality pay and you don’t need to wait the 90 days post residency. Is there any truth to this rumor?

I heard from the grapevine that when you finish residency you are immediately eligible for speciality pay and you don’t need to wait the 90 days post residency. Is there any truth to this rumor?

you're immediately eligible for GMO pay for 90 days, then your specialty pay.

So say you graduate 30JUN.
you should get the GMO pay from 01JUL to 30SEP.
then on 01OCT, the GMO pay is turned off and you start your specialty pay.

All of this takes some paperwork, but everything is backdated with the above dates.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you're immediately eligible for GMO pay for 90 days, then your specialty pay.

So say you graduate 30JUN.
you should get the GMO pay from 01JUL to 30SEP.
then on 01OCT, the GMO pay is turned off and you start your specialty pay.

All of this takes some paperwork, but everything is backdated with the above dates.

Service-dependent. Seems to be supported in the Navy, but not the Army.

It's encouraging that at least someone in the Senate gets it, but I'm going to temper my excitement until I see the annual special pay guidance.

Maybe I'll allow myself a quiet, secret moment of hope when (if) it's signed into law. :) But the service gets the final chop on it, so ...
Could you see the backlash of services selecting different amounts of $$$ to pay their physicians? Sounds like wishful thinking...... I hope this happens but I am seriously doubtful. On another note their is a huge problem with the pay gap amongst military physicians ie an O-6 with an isp msp versus an O-3 who is doing the same job making 40% the O-6 makes.

Reactions: 1 user
Could you see the backlash of services selecting different amounts of $$$ to pay their physicians? Sounds like wishful thinking...... I hope this happens but I am seriously doubtful. On another note their is a huge problem with the pay gap amongst military physicians ie an O-6 with an isp msp versus an O-3 who is doing the same job making 40% the O-6 makes.
I suspect especially in this purplish DHA age that the special pay amounts will be the same across all services. I am also a little skeptical that the numbers being thrown around will be the final figures. There have been instances in the past where Congress authorizes something but the services choose not to implement it. Common things like the fact that the accession bonuses are "authorized" every year but most years most specialties don't actually have them available due to service-decided lack of need ... and weird esoteric stuff like ECISP (early career ISP). Congress says a lot of things that the military interprets as optional.

As for the O3/O4 vs O6 pay gap - the O3 is typically in a payback ADSO. Part of the O3 & O4's "compensation" is paying back time owed instead of paying back student loans. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that doctors in the military are grossly underpaid[1], but I don't have a problem with an O3 making a lot less than an O6 does, even if they're doing the "same" job. Which they aren't, for better or worse. New grads in the civilian world aren't making partner pay straight out of the gate, either.

[1] The pension math complicates the comparison for the lifers.