Some Tips RE: What Not to Do. Signed, ProgCoordinator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi PC,
Is now a good time to contact programs you are interested in yet have not heard anything from? and to follow that question, is it ok to write the fellowship coordinator if the program director's email is not listed? thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi PC,
Is now a good time to contact programs you are interested in yet have not heard anything from? and to follow that question, is it ok to write the fellowship coordinator if the program director's email is not listed? thanks in advance!

If there's a program that you know has long ago handed out invites and dismissals, but you haven't yet heard anything from them (or missed the email in your inbox...it happens), go ahead and email their coordinator. Very briefly state that you've applied to them, are highly interested, and are inquiring as to your status. Only email the coordinator. The PD's address probably isn't listed for that reason.

What have you all seen people wearing to pre-interview dinners? For men, any ties? Was thinking of going business casual, without a tie

-joejabjab

Business casual should be fine (sans tie). On rare occasion you may visit a program with a stuffier pre-interview function. If the faculty will be present and the gathering seems to be at a fru fru type of restaurant, you may want to at least wear a sport coat. When in doubt contact the program's coordinator.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi PC,

Thanks for your valuable advice:)

Was wondering for women interview attire: plain white shirt and a pant suit or something a little different? Also, this maybe too detailed:oops: but what about hairstyle, leave out or ponytail:laugh::D

Thanks again!

Hi PC,

Thanks for your valuable advice:)

Was wondering for women interview attire: plain white shirt and a pant suit or something a little different? Also, this maybe too detailed:oops: but what about hairstyle, leave out or ponytail:laugh::D

Thanks again!

The most popular ensemble for women is the default pant suit. Usually black (shocker!). I recommend staying away from stilettos because you'll probably have a fair amount of walking to do. Unless you have bionic feet. Hair is totally up to you. Whatever is neat and most comfortable for you. Be yourself. A nice clean, well-groomed version of yourself. :luck:

Prog Coor,

Thanks again for the advice; any suggestions on how to go about cancelling a previously scheduled interview? Email? Phone call?

Thanks

-joe

Prog Coor,

Thanks again for the advice; any suggestions on how to go about cancelling a previously scheduled interview? Email? Phone call?

Thanks

-joe

I vote for email as it's most convenient for both you and the program.

:luck:

Progcoorinator, thank you for your advice on this forum. I have a question on interview day. Why do programs ask what other places you have interviewed? Is it to gauge interest? Or something else. Thank you.

Progcoorinator, thank you for your advice on this forum. I have a question on interview day. Why do programs ask what other places you have interviewed? Is it to gauge interest? Or something else. Thank you.

In my humble opinion, based solely on my experience with our program, the purpose of the question can depend on who is asking. Keep in mind that not all interviewers are very actively involved in the entire recruitment process. While they all submit feedback from their meetings with candidates, not all interviewers attend the final ranking meetings.

Reasons for the question could be to figure out a candidate's potential interest in the program, to gauge the candidate's competitiveness for the program and/or their perceived competitiveness for the other programs where they are interviewing, to get an idea of how competitive the program is and to infer its perceived standing among the year's candidates. Sometimes the impetus for the question may just be simple curiosity.

As far as a program getting an idea of its current standing among its cohorts, we'll also analyze the final NRMP match results to see to which programs our ranked candidates ultimately matched. Looking at those results, for both the highly ranked candidates and those lower on our list, gives us trending insight.

Honestly, you needn't worry about the question. Answer it as vaguely or specifically as you'd like. I haven't yet seen the information impact our final ROL.

That is wonderful advice. You are amazing :) One last question why does a program Care how low it goes in the ranklist. For example if a program interviews 50 people for 5 spots why does the program want to go down to 8 rather than 18? Either way you are far from 50 assuming all 50 get ranked. Since only the program knows how low they went on their rank list why does it matter so much to the decision makers in the ranking committee . Thank you for your help.
In my humble opinion, based solely on my experience with our program, the purpose of the question can depend on who is asking. Keep in mind that not all interviewers are very actively involved in the entire recruitment process. While they all submit feedback from their meetings with candidates, not all interviewers attend the final ranking meetings.

Reasons for the question could be to figure out a candidate's potential interest in the program, to gauge the candidate's competitiveness for the program and/or their perceived competitiveness for the other programs where they are interviewing, to get an idea of how competitive the program is and to infer its perceived standing among the year's candidates. Sometimes the impetus for the question may just be simple curiosity.

As far as a program getting an idea of its current standing among its cohorts, we'll also analyze the final NRMP match results to see to which programs our ranked candidates ultimately matched. Looking at those results, for both the highly ranked candidates and those lower on our list, gives us trending insight.

Honestly, you needn't worry about the question. Answer it as vaguely or specifically as you'd like. I haven't yet seen the information impact our final ROL.

...why does a program Care how low it goes in the ranklist.

As a candidate, wouldn't you rather match at your first-ranked program rather than #18? We kinda feel the same way. It's nice to get what you want and know that you were wanted, as well. Also, comparing our matches to our ROL gives us an idea of our success at pulling together a strong list and our success at closing the deal with the candidates who we feel are the best fit and have the most potential. We can also identify any liars. Thaaaats right.

Although the most important thing is to fill our available slots, there is a very nice rush that comes with matching within our top ten. Especially when compared with the year we matched down to #32.

Thanks for your wisdon ProgCoordinator. I had a question that may be relevant for applicants in this forum and others. As mentioned before, one should take ranked to match feedback with a grain of salt, but what if the opposite happens? What if you e-mail a PD a nice detailed letter about your positive experience at their program, and a line at the end stating your strong interest in that said program (careful not to say #1 or anything) and then receive nothing in response? I know that it probably won't affect my ranking of the program but still. I'm kind of confused as well because it kind of undoes all of the positive feedback I received during my interview. Thank you for your input! Good luck to all :)

Thanks for your wisdon ProgCoordinator. I had a question that may be relevant for applicants in this forum and others. As mentioned before, one should take ranked to match feedback with a grain of salt, but what if the opposite happens? What if you e-mail a PD a nice detailed letter about your positive experience at their program, and a line at the end stating your strong interest in that said program (careful not to say #1 or anything) and then receive nothing in response? I know that it probably won't affect my ranking of the program but still. I'm kind of confused as well because it kind of undoes all of the positive feedback I received during my interview. Thank you for your input! Good luck to all :)

I'd be thrown by that, too. The reality is that you could still get a response. Or not. There are many reasons why the PD may not have gotten back to you yet. There's a chance that s/he is currently out of town...uber busy at the moment...chooses to reply to candidates at the end of the season...has a policy not to respond...yadda, yadda, yada. While it doesn't make any sense to me as to why a program would deliberately rebuff a candidate (you didn't set off a cherry bomb in their bathroom, did you?), to each his own. At the end of the day, I advise ranking however you feel most comfortable.

BTW, you guys are totally free to disclose to programs whether you plan to rank them #1. Seasoned PD's will take it with a grain of salt, but you're allowed to disclose. What's prohibited is either party ASKING for the other to divulge their ranking plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellowship interview; What would you suggest ....

Last edited:
I'd be thrown by that, too. The reality is that you could still get a response. Or not. There are many reasons why the PD may not have gotten back to you yet. There's a chance that s/he is currently out of town...uber busy at the moment...chooses to reply to candidates at the end of the season...has a policy not to respond...yadda, yadda, yada. While it doesn't make any sense to me as to why a program would deliberately rebuff a candidate (you didn't set off a cherry bomb in their bathroom, did you?), to each his own. At the end of the day, I advise ranking however you feel most comfortable.

BTW, you guys are totally free to disclose to programs whether you plan to rank them #1. Seasoned PD's will take it with a grain of salt, but you're allowed to disclose. What's prohibited is either party ASKING for the other to divulge their ranking plans.

Thank you for your insight ProgCoordinator. Looking back at my interview, I don't recall doing anything bad...I may have revealed to a fellow with whom I was having lunch other places I interviewed at and picked her brain a bit about programs she had interviewed at. The other possibility that I was contemplating was the fact that I kind of sent a "stock" e-mail to the PD and some other interviewers. The e-mail states what I feel are genuine positives about the program, so in that sense it isn't generic, but it was the same e-mail to more than one interviewer, including the PD. It gets hard to write 9 different thank you e-mails! Anyway, I can't think of any other screw-ups (no cherry bombs in the bathroom). Do any of the aforementioned "mistakes" validate the lack of response? Thank you once again for your expertise :)

Do any of the aforementioned "mistakes" validate the lack of response? Thank you once again for your expertise :)

Nah. You didn't do anything wrong. Really don't worry about not having heard back yet. You did your part. There are better things for you to focus on. Boo on them if you never get a response.

Fellowship interview; What would you suggest wearing to pre-interview dinners for women, evening gown?

How 'bout an old bride's maid dress? That would be super fun! (I hope you were being humorous. If not, please know that I am attempting to be.)

Ahem. Seriously, business casual should suffice. If the function is fellows and candidates only and it's being hosted at rather laid back venue, you could probably get away with a decent pair of jeans, but it's not worth the risk if you're not certain. Maybe only for your home program if their function fits all the requirements noted above.

Slacks or a skirt should be fine. No need to break out an interview suit for the night before. Look nice and be comfortable while steering clear of hot pants and low cut shirts.

Dear ProgCoordinator,
Thank you so much for guiding us! I have one question. I got IV invitation from one program with only one specific date but I have another IV already confirmed at the other place on the same date. I have to request pc for switching me to other day. Do you think that - can it be a problem?
Thanks ahead,
Lotus

Dear ProgCoordinator,
Thank you so much for guiding us! I have one question. I got IV invitation from one program with only one specific date but I have another IV already confirmed at the other place on the same date. I have to request pc for switching me to other day. Do you think that - can it be a problem?
Thanks ahead,
Lotus

I'm pasting my answer to your PM here, too, as it may be of some help to others.

"This situation happens and we can usually make it work. Let the second program know that you already have another interview confirmed for that date and ask whether they can offer you an alternate date. If they don't have another alternate date, contact the originally-scheduled program and ask whether they can offer you an alternate. There's a chance that neither will have an alternate for you. If that happens, choose which program you definitely want to visit and ask whether the other program can keep you on a waiting list for an alternate date that should work with your schedule."

Dear PC, Thank you so much for the very helpful thread. I have a quick question. Do you use a filter for year of graduation like what most IM residency programs do ?

Dear PC, Thank you so much for the very helpful thread. I have a quick question. Do you use a filter for year of graduation like what most IM residency programs do ?

I don't filter by year of graduation, but I do note it and then fill in the blanks as to what the candidate was doing before moving along to the next traditional step in their education (if there was a lapse).

It's my opinion that filtering this way - and by filtering I mean cutting a candidate formally from our process entirely and not going back to review the rest of the application at a later time - is a mistake. By doing so a program will miss candidates who had chosen to do something productive/prestigious such as a competitive research fellowship or a clinical outreach year overseas or for an underprivileged area prior to residency. Likewise, there are strong candidates who may have gone out into the world after undergrad only to realize that their interests ultimately favor the medical field. Either type brings an interestingly different skill set and perspective.

Although nontraditional, we've had some seriously outstanding candidates over the years whose paths didn't fit the mold.

AProgCoordinator,

Thanks for taking all of the time to answer our questions. You may have answered this one before, but I didn't see it. What is your opinion on thank you letters? Is an email sufficient or is a hand-written card preferred? Should you write a letter to each individual person who interviewed you (sometimes as high as eight people) or is a letter to the program director enough? I've been doing hand-written cards to everyone and its starting to feel like over-kill.

AProgCoordinator,

Thanks for taking all of the time to answer our questions. You may have answered this one before, but I didn't see it. What is your opinion on thank you letters? Is an email sufficient or is a hand-written card preferred? Should you write a letter to each individual person who interviewed you (sometimes as high as eight people) or is a letter to the program director enough? I've been doing hand-written cards to everyone and its starting to feel like over-kill.

Choose whichever you prefer. It doesn't matter. Personally, I prefer email for few reasons...#1 they set in a candidate's file more easily (selfish much, PC?), #2 you're more likely to get a response (especially if you have questions), #3 emailing saves you guys time and money, and #4 penmanship isn't a concern. Handwritten cards aren't overkill, so don't beat yourself up about it. They're a nice touch, but not worth it in the long run if you're not enjoying the task.

You needn't hit every interviewer. Just make sure to hit the PD if you're going to write to anyone.

Although some will say that thank you's mean nothing at all, we note if a candidate hasn't written a note. We take it to mean that they're probably not interested in the program. Although we'll probably still rank them, it may impact their placement on our list by a notch or two.

AProgCoordinator,
Thanks for all your help so far. I had a quick question for you if you don't mind answering. I have good step 1, step 2 ck scores and passed on the first try. Step 2 CS through inexplicable reasons resulted in a failure the first time and a pass the second time. During fellowship applications, will my app my screened out because of the step 2 CS fail? and at this point in the process, if I'm not screened out, is step 2 CS a big deal, assuming that I have good evals from residency?
Thanks

AProgCoordinator,
Thanks for all your help so far. I had a quick question for you if you don't mind answering. I have good step 1, step 2 ck scores and passed on the first try. Step 2 CS through inexplicable reasons resulted in a failure the first time and a pass the second time. During fellowship applications, will my app my screened out because of the step 2 CS fail? and at this point in the process, if I'm not screened out, is step 2 CS a big deal, assuming that I have good evals from residency?
Thanks

Screening completely depends on the program. In my experience, CS doesn't hold as much weight, but the failure is generally considered a ding. It's good that you went back and passed it on your second attempt. If you're still in the mix that means that the rest of your submission is strong enough to redeem your application.

med4sho, i'm not sure where you are in the application process but it sounds like you haven't applied for fellowships yet. so, i also failed step 2 cs the first time around. i have no idea why. great step 1 and ck scores, and great evaluations. i was really worried that i'd be screened out also. however, i've gotten a pretty decent number of interviews despite the fact that i'm at a decent but not top tier residency program, am not published, and applied only in the northeast.
so don't worry. maybe some places will screen against it, as i have gotten some inexplicable rejections, but i don't think the majority do. i really believe that failing step 2 cs is completely random and the test is absolutely pointless and should be either completely changed or removed.

I'm not applying this year but I'll throw my question out there. With all the slashes in Medicare reimbursement and the majority of the traditionally private groups merging into major hospital centers (at the last ACC, they quote 80-90% by 2015), have you seen a change in the competitiveness/focus of applicants or shifts in patterns of applications from community to more academic programs?

I'm not applying this year but I'll throw my question out there. With all the slashes in Medicare reimbursement and the majority of the traditionally private groups merging into major hospital centers (at the last ACC, they quote 80-90% by 2015), have you seen a change in the competitiveness/focus of applicants or shifts in patterns of applications from community to more academic programs?

While there will always be trending shifts in sub-subspecialty interests (I've seen 3-4 in the last decade), what stood out this year is a slight decline in the volume of applications that we'd received. Our candidate pool is down ~8% and other programs have reported a similar decline. Though we haven't yet analyzed the demographics, my initial impression is that the strata isn't very different this year.

The next few years should be interesting.

Hey ProgCoordinator:

I had a quick question. One of my LOR writers (prominent cardiologist) has offered to call the program director at my top choice for fellowship training.

I was wondering when do you guys rank your prospective fellows/when do you think would be an ideal time for my LOR writer to call. I'd imagine if they call too early that the call may be forgotten come rank time, and if it is made to late, rank lists may have been submitted.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey ProgCoordinator:

I had a quick question. One of my LOR writers (prominent cardiologist) has offered to call the program director at my top choice for fellowship training.

I was wondering when do you guys rank your prospective fellows/when do you think would be an ideal time for my LOR writer to call. I'd imagine if they call too early that the call may be forgotten come rank time, and if it is made to late, rank lists may have been submitted.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yeah, it's too early now. I think the call/email will have more impact in May. Mid to late May. The finalized rank orderlist is due June 1st, so my advice is to have your cheerleader make the contact sometime within the two preceeding weeks (18th-27th).

Dear PC,
As I am trying to look up the programs where I have received invites from in the NRMP web site, I am not able to find two of them. Does this mean that they will not go for the match (But their website says they will go for the match). Or they have not registered for the match, yet? If it is the later when should I expect the see them in the NRMP directory? I would really appreciate your input on this.
Thanks in advance.

Dear PC,
As I am trying to look up the programs where I have received invites from in the NRMP web site, I am not able to find two of them. Does this mean that they will not go for the match (But their website says they will go for the match). Or they have not registered for the match, yet? If it is the later when should I expect the see them in the NRMP directory? I would really appreciate your input on this.
Thanks in advance.

9PM on June 1st is the deadline for registration and final ROL certification. Those two outstanding programs probably just haven't registered yet. Should you not find them on the NRMP site by May 1st, I think it will be fair for you to contact them asking whether they will participate in the match this year.

Thanks for the kind reply CardsHopeful. Good luck on your fellowship match!

For ProgCoordinator, I appreciate your candid thoughts on my previous post. I was looking on some websites and there are many that do not require USMLE scores, though some do encourage people to send them. I was wondering if it was possible to only send step1 and step2 CK scores and omit the step 2cs, or is it a whole bundle sendoff where if you send 1 you have to send it all?

Thanks for the kind reply CardsHopeful. Good luck on your fellowship match!

For ProgCoordinator, I appreciate your candid thoughts on my previous post. I was looking on some websites and there are many that do not require USMLE scores, though some do encourage people to send them. I was wondering if it was possible to only send step1 and step2 CK scores and omit the step 2cs, or is it a whole bundle sendoff where if you send 1 you have to send it all?

USMLE transcripts are typically sent electronically to ERAS directly from USMLE, so we'll see the results of all attempts. I don't think you guys can cherry pick. Even if it were possible, application time is not the time to be shady. Misrepresenting yourself is NOT advisable.

Dear Progcoordinator:
Thank you for your help and insight. You have been extremely helpful. I have an interview scheduled for next week but another program called me as asked me to come in for an interview that same day (they told me they pulled me off their waitlist). I am trying to choose between my originally scheduled interview and this one. I like the program that pulled me off their waitlist more.
Is it likely that the program that pulled me from their waitlist is unlikely to rank me highly anyway? Should I stick with my originally scheduled interview which was offered to me in February. I would appreciate any help!

Dear Progcoordinator:
Thank you for your help and insight. You have been extremely helpful. I have an interview scheduled for next week but another program called me as asked me to come in for an interview that same day (they told me they pulled me off their waitlist). I am trying to choose between my originally scheduled interview and this one. I like the program that pulled me off their waitlist more.
Is it likely that the program that pulled me from their waitlist is unlikely to rank me highly anyway? Should I stick with my originally scheduled interview which was offered to me in February. I would appreciate any help!

Tough, tough, tough. Ultimately you'll have to make the decision based on your gut. But I will say that you're not out of the running just because you were called from the bench, so to speak. Cardiology fellowships, as you know, are terribly competitive. I know that the candidates on our wait list are still very strong. On top of that...I can tell you that we'd had a candidate interview after having been on our wait list who we ended up ranking highly. It's not unusual. This person in particular matched to our program and was voted our Chief Fellow for their second-year.

If you're very interested in the originally-scheduled program, contact them ASAP to inquire as to whether you can reschedule for a later date. It's worth a shot.

I received a positive reply to my thank you letter from the Chief Fellow to consider that I should rank their program high.... How should I ideally and best respond to the email reply from the Chief.

thanks much in advance.

I received a positive reply to my thank you letter from the Chief Fellow to consider that I should rank their program high.... How should I ideally and best respond to the email reply from the Chief.

thanks much in advance.

It's my opinion that a lot depends on how you feel about their program. If you've finished your interviews and you're certain that the program in question is going to be #1 on your ROL, it's fair to say as much. If you're still interviewing and not yet sure of what your ROL is going to look like, it's fair to state that you were impressed by the program, you're seriously considering it being at the top of your ROL, or something similar.

Now...if you hated the program...be polite and noncommittal:
I'm so happy to have had the opportunity to visit.
I so appreciate the time and attention that I'd received from everyone.
yadda, yadda, yadda

Dear PC,
Did you hear at all about the upcoming changes in the ERAS and NRMP changes for fellowship next year? There are strong rumors around saying that there will be NO interviews for next year the way we know it, and for the fellows starting in July 2013, the ERAS will open to download the application in August 2012, interviews in the Sept-Nov 2012 and Match in Dec 2012..
Any input? Not that this will affect us directly, but may certainly affect those of us who will not match this year.
p.s: this change will apply to all fellowships, not only cardiology

Dear PC,
Did you hear at all about the upcoming changes in the ERAS and NRMP changes for fellowship next year? There are strong rumors around saying that there will be NO interviews for next year the way we know it, and for the fellows starting in July 2013, the ERAS will open to download the application in August 2012, interviews in the Sept-Nov 2012 and Match in Dec 2012..
Any input? Not that this will affect us directly, but may certainly affect those of us who will not match this year.
p.s: this change will apply to all fellowships, not only cardiology

Sure I've heard about it and understand the thought behind it and feel that it will serve candidates the most. It will reset the timeline, thus giving upcoming candidates more time to further evolve their CVs.

My initial reaction is that, within the scope of my own little microcosm, it won't impact us in a huge way. (Although my holiday season will be far less stressful!) As it stands now, we have a huge pool of candidates. Although the strongest currently represent a minor fraction of the whole, there remain more of them than positions; more even than available interview opportunities.

This change will not cause us to open up additional interview positions. I foresee it giving us more great candidates from which to choose; stronger candidates interviewing and filling our alternate list.

Sure I've heard about it and understand the thought behind it and feel that it will serve candidates the most. It will reset the timeline, thus giving upcoming candidates more time to further evolve their CVs.

My initial reaction is that, within the scope of my own little microcosm, it won't impact us in a huge way. (Although my holiday season will be far less stressful!) As it stands now, we have a huge pool of candidates. Although the strongest currently represent a minor fraction of the whole, there remain more of them than positions; more even than available interview opportunities.

This change will not cause us to open up additional interview positions. I foresee it giving us more great candidates from which to choose; stronger candidates interviewing and filling our alternate list.

Thanks ProgCoordi
I agree ,this will produce more competitive candidates,
I have a question though,I am done with my IV ,do you recommend me to email my first choice program to inform them that i will rank them first?
what about my second and third,etc,should i email them too and inform them about their rank standing
thanks

...I have a question though,I am done with my IV ,do you recommend me to email my first choice program to inform them that i will rank them first?
what about my second and third,etc,should i email them too and inform them about their rank standing
thanks

If you're already certain of your 1-3 rankings, go ahead and email the programs. It's fine to tell #1 that they're your #1. You've got nothing to lose. Seek and ye shall recieve (maybe).

It's fine to email programs #2 and #3, but it's uncommon for a candidate to tell them specifically that they just missed the cut. Stating something like, "ranking you highly" should suffice. We can read between the lines.

Question: How do you react if a Program Director calls you after your interview? What does it mean?

- thanks for the help.

Question: How do you react if a Program Director calls you after your interview? What does it mean?

- thanks for the help.

Although it's pretty early for such calls, it is probably a good indication that the program is very interested in you matching with them. While it's not a guarantee of anything, it would be nice for you if you're very interested in that program, too. Then you may have a bit less anxiety between now and the match.

Just a curious question PC: Did you submit your ROL yet or not? when do programs usually submit their own?
M

Just a curious question PC: Did you submit your ROL yet or not? when do programs usually submit their own?
M

Nope. Not yet. We're just starting our ranking meetings. I'll probably input online early in the week of May 23, but we may tinker with it right up until the deadline day. I suspect that our timeline is typical of most.

If you guys are going to reach out to programs and you haven't done it yet, get on that early next week.

Nope. Not yet. We're just starting our ranking meetings. I'll probably input online early in the week of May 23, but we may tinker with it right up until the deadline day. I suspect that our timeline is typical of most.

If you guys are going to reach out to programs and you haven't done it yet, get on that early next week.

Great! i felt i was late...
I am soooo curious to know which program you are from and whether i've met you this winter or not.. :luck:
Good luck everybody!!

PC,

Thanks for your advice on here. I had a couple of questions. Do some programs have a policy against contacting applicants? If not, would you take it as a bad sign if you got no response from a program you sent an email to? Also, can you send too many love letters to your top program?

thanks

pc,

how many programs do you suggest we contact at this point (email-wise)? top 3 sound reasonable?