Some of my Favorite books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hammer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Hammer said:
Manic Depressive Illness by FK Goodwin and KR Jamison

Statistics For Psychologist W. Hayes my hardest class.

Social Psychology Roger Brown A classic

The History of Experimental Psychology EG Boring a classic

The Great Psychologists Robert I. Watson This is my all time favorite. I bought 2 copies: one to underline the other to read.

I have a collection of David Wechsler's texts and many others.

You might find these in a used book store. Save those books you like. Dump the others.

Anyone have some to share?

Definition of a classic: a book everyone quotes and no one reads.

My son just bought his OChem Book. It cost 146 bucks. I feel for you all.

Is your son interested in medicine? Why not psychology?

Public Health

How are you?

My son is majoring in genetics. His brother died of prolonged QT. My father was a noted psychologist. Ph.D from Stanford.I was tested by LM Terman. My son is tired of this "stuff."

Hope you didn't mind my post. You are a precise individual. What you posted is true. But many here will not go to APA post doc. To be honest, I don't like the APA. They "scared" me for many years. There was always a crisis and they always needed money.The local psychiatrists here just hate their APA.

Do you know each post is a "projection."

My books are old for the most part. Do you have any you just love?

GL

Members don't see this ad :)
1) A mans search for meaning by Victor Frankel

Anytime I think my life is too tough, I just think about this book and it puts my troubles into a little perspective. It's about a man surviving the horrors of a Nazzi concentration camp, and how changing one's inner perspective and meaning of life can make ANY life meaningful.

2) How to win friends and Influence people by Dale Carnegie

This one taught me that the greatest conversationalist is someone who listens more than they talk. More people ought to realize that. Too many of us like the sound of our own voices just a little too much.

I just finished reading a memoir trilogy. Very inspiration and heart wrenching, and also very very eye opening.

It was by David Peltzer, the first was called "A Boy Called It" and was the story of a boy who survived the 3rd worst child abuse case in the history of California.

I'd recommend it to all.

Hammer said:
My books are old for the most part. Do you have any you just love?

Yes. Principles of Neural Science by Kandel et al., Kaplan and Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, The Adapted Mind by Barkow et al., Clinical Neuropsychology: A Pocket Handbook for Assessment by Snyder and Nussbaum, and about a dozen others. I have an interest in psychology, psychiatry, evolutionary psychology/psychiatry, and neuropsychology.

Hammer said:
May I ask where you are in your schooling.

Hope you got my note about burnout. After 15 or so years, things get sour. Nice to have many interests.

My main interest is the MMPI.
Along with Social Psych.and styles of dictation of a report.

I sent you a private message.