Some general questions concerning dental residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organichemistry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious... when it comes to specializing in dentistry, how does it compare to say specializing in medicine?

How long are the residencies? (I've heard as short as 12-16 months, as long as 36 months)

Are they paid? Do you still owe tuition at wherever you do your program?

What kind of hours do they study/work? I would think it would be pretty long stressful hours like a medical residency on the order of 60-80 hour average week. But I hear about moonlighting where residents make money on the side. Not sure how they would have time if they are putting in 80 hours a week.

Tell me exactly... what is moonlighting?

What are the least competitive specialties? Can an average or even below dental student match into these... or are all specialties the upper echelon of students?

I know some of these questions will probably vary from specialty to specialty (just as in medicine) but I'm just trying to get a general feel.

Members don't see this ad.

organichemistry said:
I am curious... when it comes to specializing in dentistry, how does it compare to say specializing in medicine?

How long are the residencies? (I've heard as short as 12-16 months, as long as 36 months)

Are they paid? Do you still owe tuition at wherever you do your program?

What kind of hours do they study/work? I would think it would be pretty long stressful hours like a medical residency on the order of 60-80 hour average week. But I hear about moonlighting where residents make money on the side. Not sure how they would have time if they are putting in 80 hours a week.

Tell me exactly... what is moonlighting?

What are the least competitive specialties? Can an average or even below dental student match into these... or are all specialties the upper echelon of students?

I know some of these questions will probably vary from specialty to specialty (just as in medicine) but I'm just trying to get a general feel.

Hmmm...lesse if we can do this in the order you asked with "a general feel":

Residencies vary from 2-3 years for most programs (ortho, pedo, perio, endo, pros, etc) with OMFS being 4-6 years (depending on the degree).

Some residents are paid...depends on funding source available for the residency (i.e. hospital-based OMFS or pedo programs can pay pretty well, at least in comparison to the cost of dental school). Often pay varies from school to school, and even within different departments in the same school. Some places you actually pay tuition just for the "priviledge" of attending. :)

Number of hours depends on the residency type and location. It's not unheard of for OMFS guys (and gals) to do 80 or 100 hrs/week on a regular basis. On the other end of the spectrum, some of the ortho programs I know are 8-5, M-F. It just depends.

Moonlighting is what I believe you think it is...working on the side to make some spare $$$. OMFSers may shuck teeth, many other residents will do temp dentistry, etc. Whether you can do this or not depends largely on the program you attend, your level of $$ need, and what oterh things you do with your time.

Stating the least competetive specialties is just a time bomb waiting to explode...and probably not appropriate to say, either. Historically ortho, endo and OMFS are probably "regarded" as the most difficult to get into. If specializing is something you want to do, being at or above average in your class is probably something to aim for. And most of all any specialty you choose should be because you enjoy it, not for a perceived increase in income potential.

Best thing is to talk with residents in the area you are interested in at the programs you are looking to atend to get specifics.

jpollei said:
And most of all any specialty you choose should be because you enjoy it, not for a perceived increase in income potential.

...and because you like helping people. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
To that residency list you can add GPR's. They last for @12 months. You will work @ 60-80 hours per week with patients who have medical complications in a hospital setting bouncing between pedo, oral surgery, anethesia, and general dentistry. In the better programs, you will be paid @ $40,000 per year plus family med/dental benefits and get about 3 weeks of paid vacation. You may also be offered the opportunity to enroll in dental school based continuing education programs at much reduced rates (if you can find the time to participate).

groundhog said:
To that residency list you can add GPR's. They last for @12 months. You will work @ 60-80 hours per week with patients who have medical complications in a hospital setting bouncing between pedo, oral surgery, anethesia, and general dentistry. In the better programs, you will be paid @ $40,000 per year plus family med/dental benefits and get about 3 weeks of paid vacation. You may also be offered the opportunity to enroll in dental school based continuing education programs at much reduced rates (if you can find the time to participate).

yah, what he said... Most places won't allow you to moonlight however. Besides, you really need a break. You have the rest of your life to work ur tail off. Then again, even though i fall in the 80-110 hr/week category in OMFS, i wouldn't mind a little spare cash in my pocket doing some exodontia for local dentists on a saturday.