Some CV questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrVanNostran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to update my CV to send out to potential mentors at my residency program. I had a few questions...

1. I recently submitted an abstract which was accepted as an oral and poster. It was also published in a journal along with all the accepted the posters for the conference. Can I add this to my publications?

2. As a med student, I did an away at MDACC in the Radiation Oncology department. At the end of our rotation, we do a formal presentation on a topic of our choice. Does something like this qualify as an oral presentation? Or is that reserved for posters, research projects, etc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to update my CV to send out to potential mentors at my residency program. I had a few questions...

1. I recently submitted an abstract which was accepted as an oral and poster. It was also published in a journal along with all the accepted the posters for the conference. Can I add this to my publications?
Yes, absolutely.

2. As a med student, I did an away at MDACC in the Radiation Oncology department. At the end of our rotation, we do a formal presentation on a topic of our choice. Does something like this qualify as an oral presentation? Or is that reserved for posters, research projects, etc?

Thanks!

It it was a Grand Rounds type of presentation, then yes, that's a legit oral presentation.

Thanks for the reply. Its good to know that hour of sweating bullets will go my CV!

Members don't see this ad :)

Its not a peer-reviewed publication. It's an abstract. You need to have separate sections in your CV for:

• Abstracts
  • Presentations (Oral / Posters)
  • Peer-Reviewed Publications
  • Other Publications

It would be misrepresentation to list it as a publication without clearly denoting it as an abstract.

So instead of starting a new thread, thought I would just ask this since it is relevant to the CV. I usually see people just post that they passed Step 1, 2, 3 on first try, not their scores. So how important is a STEP 2 score for fellowships? Is it something that directors gloss over, or is it something that can screen you in/out like the STEP 1 score for residency interviews?

I assume whatever answers I get for Step 2 will also be relevant for Step 3?

So instead of starting a new thread, thought I would just ask this since it is relevant to the CV. I usually see people just post that they passed Step 1, 2, 3 on first try, not their scores. So how important is a STEP 2 score for fellowships? Is it something that directors gloss over, or is it something that can screen you in/out like the STEP 1 score for residency interviews?

I assume whatever answers I get for Step 2 will also be relevant for Step 3?

Sorry for bumping this again, but I would appreciate input from any of the veterans.