Solo Carolinas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0doc21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of jobs in the Carolinas that are MD only or atleast 50% solo?

Edit: at-least 20% or occasional solo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m in the Carolina’s (private practice group) and sit my own cases 1-2 days a week. It’s probably close to ~75% supervision overall though. We’re not currently hiring but will in a few years for a retirement. you’re welcome to PM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I spent several years in NC and am not aware of ANY place that is MD/DO only. CRNAs ate that place up a long time ago.

Ok even 20% solo would be nice. Just looking for something where I can do solo cases occasionally.

From what I've been told, not only are the Carolinas supervision-dominant, it's the kind of "supervision" where your CRNAs expect to do blocks, float swans, and essentially run the case how they want without your input. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Wow
From what I've been told, not only are the Carolinas supervision-dominant, it's the kind of "supervision" where your CRNAs expect to do blocks, float swans, and essentially run the case how they want without your input. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I’ll correct you, it may be like that at some places but not ours. We do all blocks, spinals, epidurals, and the CRNAs do not induce without us present. We have one of the best working relationships I’ve seen, and I did locums for a few years across the US so I’ve been through a lot of hospitals. Our CRNAs are very strong and there is a mutual respect. I’ve worked at many wonderful places and some absolute dumps…no job is perfect but I feel our setup works well. But you are correct that completely solo jobs are almost non-existent in the Carolina’s, but if you want 1-2 days a week sitting cases that is doable

Reactions: 1 users

I'll second what Volatile said. Not at my shop. We have one site where the CRNAs occasionally do spinals for knees and hips (and we often bail them out anyway when they struggle), but other than that one site, the only other procedure our CRNAs do is a-lines. We do all blocks, epidurals, spinal (aside from that one site, where we do probably 60-75% of them), central lines, etc. We have a very good relationship with our CRNAs, and outside of a select few bad eggs, they respect our authority in the ORs.