Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was recently accepted into both the BU-MAMS program and the Geisinger BMS program in the past 3 weeks. They are both great programs, but I am unable to decide which one would increase my chances of attending Medical School. I have a 504 MCAT score and a 3.2 GPA. Any advice will help.

Thanks

Consider: 1) linkages with medical schools, 2) % of each program that ultimately matriculates into a medical school, 3) cost of the programs, 4) length of the programs, 5) location

Members don't see this ad.

Hello so this is what I know:

1.) Linkages with medical schools:
Geisinger MBS tends to interview the top 20% of their SMP program, which equates to 13 students. They prefer students with a 3.0 science GPA and an MCAT minimum of 502.

The BU-MAMS program places their SMP students in a separate pool as opposed to their 10,000 regular applicants a year. 72 (45%) BU-MAMS students apply. 40 (25%) of their SMP students are interviewed, and 20 (14%) of the SMP applicants are accepted. They prefer students with a 3.5 GPA and a 517 MCAT score.

2.)Matriculation Rate to Medical School:
Geisinger MBS claims 75% of their students attend an MD/DO school. But does not list the percentages per MD or DO school.

The BU-MAMS program claims that 85% of SMP students who maintain an SMP GPA of 3.5 of better are admitted to an MD school. But they do not list how many SMP students maintain a 3.5 GPA.

3.) Program Lengths
Geisinger MBS program is a year.

Fall Weeks 1-8 weeks
Cell Biology (4)
Biochem (4)
Professional Development (3)

Fall Weeks 9-16 weeks
Physiology (4)
Genetics (4)

Spring 1-16 weeks
2 Electives (12)

Summer 1-8 Weeks
Princeton Review MCAT Course

Meanwhiles BU-MAMS is two years
1st Semester
Biochem/Cell Biology
Physiology A
Histology
Thesis Research

2nd Semester
Physiology B
Pharmacology-or-Pathology
Anatomy-or-Immunology
Biostatistics
Biomedical Information (Thesis Preparation)
Thesis Research

2nd Year
Thesis Research (4credits)

As far as the BU MAMS program goes. The second year is $6,000 total, and it is used to work on a thesis and apply for Medical School. The immunology course is 5 weeks long and is supposed to create time to study for the MCAT. A Princeton review course is provided that costs $1,500 separately from the program. It typically takes about 5 weeks to complete, and the MCAT is typically taken by June 16th or June 30th. In addition, the second year does not have to be done at BU Medical School and can be done at home. In addition, some students use the second year to pursue a concentration or an MPH degree.

4.) Location:
BU MAMS is located in the South End neighborhood. It's not the safest neighborhood and the rent can range from $1,000 to $3,000. However, Graduate Student Housing is near campus can make housing an estimate of $1,000-$1,200, and a BU shuttle can be used to take students to class.

On the other hand, Geisinger BMS is located in Scranton, which is safer and the rent can range from $600 to $1,400.

5.) Acceptance to SMP programs
Geisinger BMS accepted 101 applicants out of 812 (12.4% of their applicants)

Meanwhile BU-MAMS accepted 140-160 applicants out of 1,000 (14-16% of their applicants)

I am really indecisive on which program to choose. Does the prestige of the program play a role on how medical schools view the SMP students applying, or is it merely the applicants GPA and story. Any advice will help thanks.

Not really. Do well. More emphasis is often placed where there is a connection or affiliate as well as performing well. Where you go doesn't particularly matter - hence go where it is cheapest and where you finish sooner.

The decision is for you to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.