SLU vs Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itscleanslateme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
SLU 66k/yr
Pros
  • P/F
  • good fit
    I really enjoyed meeting other interviewees on the interview day. It was the only school where I thought 'wow I wish I had these guys as my future classmates'. But I am well aware that only a handful of students who interviewed will matriculate. At the same time, I wonder maybe it's a good indicator of what kind of students they are looking for
  • good impression on interview day
  • over four years about 76k cheaper (264k loan)
  • forest park
    I am really into outdoors, it would be nice to be close to a big park
  • In past four years, at least couple graduates consistently matched to CA emergency medicine residency (#lifegoal) but this year no one matched to CA EM residency program

Cons
  • PROBATION
    I am not sure how concerned I should be. Doctors I know seem to say it's a huge concern to residency directors but general consensus on SDN seems like it's not a big deal?
  • lack of global health program
  • lecture-heavy and outdated curriculum (which issues were also reiterated in the probation)
  • lack of research opportunities
  • gym is at the undergrad campus which is pretty distanced from the med campus
  • large class size 181
  • landlocked

LOYOLA 82k/yr
Pros
  • great global health honors program
  • research honors program
  • great reputation
  • great facility; i love their huge windows at the library
  • gym attached to medical education building
  • Lake Michigan for when I really miss the ocean
  • smaller class size 144

Cons
  • H/HP/P/F
  • non-trad heavy student population
    According to MSAR, 56% of matriculants are 24-39 (compared to 25% at SLU). It was also obvious at the second look day. More than half of new and current students I met were significantly older and married. I miss college a lot and I am really looking forward to medical school. I know medical school will be drastically different but I am not sure if this is the kind of student environment I am looking for
  • fit & gut feeling
    The repeating theme at second look day was "pick a school that you feel comfortable at". I didn't feel entirely comfortable at neither interview day nor second look day
  • On interview day, a current student told me, for a lot of Stritch students, Stritch was their only option but they are proud of that. Personally, I found this comment really off-putting
  • 76k more expensive, over 4 years 328k loan
  • Maywood, IL is cold AF

Summary: I had a good impression at SLU but it also has some really concerning cons. Loyola has amazing pros, but it just didn't feel right... but i also feel like maybe its amazing pros outweight its cons

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd go to SLU if I were you. Apparently a good number of Cali kids end up there, so you'll probably still feel pretty at home.

I have a bad impression of Loyola because of a trivial thing but I'm gonna mention it anyway. I actually know someone who goes to Loyola, and he was tagged in a photo of all the black MS1's, including him. The caption was:

This is the most me face I've ever made lol. But in just a few weeks, these people are starting to feel less like strangers and more like family. Can't wait for the journey ahead of us. #weallwegot#whitecoatceremony #SSOM#youngblackamericandoctors#theydontwantustowearwhitecoats

Really turned me off to Loyola. I understand pride in your culture but it just seemed really segregated. Maybe a lot of med schools are like this... idk.

Reactions: 1 user