Sleep pathway for IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Susan Watts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the pathway for someone in IM to go into sleep medicine - is it relatively competitive to get a fellowship and how long is the fellowship. Also are there jobs out there and how much is the avg compensation - is it more of a part-time side business?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the pathway for someone in IM to go into sleep medicine - is it relatively competitive to get a fellowship and how long is the fellowship. Also are there jobs out there and how much is the avg compensation - is it more of a part-time side business?

1 year sleep fellowship after completion of residency. Pretty competitive for IM or psych, relatively easier for neurlogy or someone who has done a pulm fellowship after an IM residency. Straight sleep jobs are getting rarer. Often now a days starts off as a side activity that could develop into 100% sleep med after several years.

1 year sleep fellowship after completion of residency. Pretty competitive for IM or psych, relatively easier for neurlogy or someone who has done a pulm fellowship after an IM residency. Straight sleep jobs are getting rarer. Often now a days starts off as a side activity that could develop into 100% sleep med after several years.

Do you know of any programs that take IM residents?
What does someone need to be a good applicant?
You said its a side activity, so could it be done on the side if I am a hospitalist? Would I just join an existing sleep practice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is research important in getting it after IM? If so, research in which field?

Hey guys..I'll try and help with your questions. In no particular order...

(1) I saw several IM people on the interview trail (more than psychiatry, actually) and they seemed to be as competitive as Dr. Rack suggests. I frankly wouldn't be surprised if there were an increase in the number of IM applicants accepted in the future (particularly to pulmonary-run programs) as more and more pulmonology fellows opt out of that additional year of fellowship.

(2) I'm a neurology resident, so I cannot comment with authority on the practicability of being an IM hospitalist and running a sleep practice on the side. But in the world of common sense...it seems to me that it would be perfectly feasible if your IM group wanted to structure things in such a way. Why not? A sleep lab could help them in a financial capacity. Now, if you wanted to set up a private, independent sleep clinic in addition to working in an IM group then I suppose that is also feasible...but would take a great deal of effort (and money) on your part.

(3) Research is always a plus for attempting to land a more competitive fellowship. This goes without saying. The topic or "field" (I assume you mean subject matter in terms of pulm v/s neuro v/s psych) is completely up to you, a sleep program, or the attending you work with. Or the availability of actual sleep research at your home institution.

(4) What makes one competitive for a fellowship from a general standpoint is an extremely variable and well-discussed topic on all of these forums. The search function is your friend. ;) Briefly, great letters of recommendation, being able to pull off a strong interview, coming from a well-regarded home institution, and research are four great locations to start...

(5) I don't know of any programs that are specifically "friendly" to IM applicants. You'll have to look around for those yourself and perhaps others on these boards can comment further.

Best wishes.