Sleep numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am currently a 3rd year resident. I recently did an away elective in sleep medicine and I really enjoyed my experience. Its got a lot of interesting pathology and the pts really do seem to benefit from treating their OSA and other sleep conditions. I have heard from a lot of people that the field of sleep medicine is taking big hits right now re-imbursement wise and sleep practices are closing down. I m not looking to make every $$$ possible but I dont necessarily want to go into a field or practice that will struggle year to year.

The practice I worked with was a sleep group made of pulm, neuro and IM docs all who did sleep fellowships. They seemed to be doing ok financially but I didnt specifically ask them for any details bc it just didnt seem like the right place. I did find out from the office manager that they usually charge about $2000 for an overnight study and $500 for a home study.

The group was associated with the sleep and pulm fellowship so I wonder if their numbers are higher bc of this? Some of the community sleep docs where I m doing my residency say they only get about $800 for an overnight study and $200-300 for home studies?

Thanks!

Again Sleep is really interesting to me but struggling to run a practice year to year would be stressful. I felt discouraged speaking to the community sleep docs from my residency but this elective at the sleep program has re-invigorated my interest in sleep medicine!!

Members don't see this ad.