Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU fall 2021 MSOT Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catratgirl17

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I haven't seen a thread for this years application cycle, does anyone know of one? if not we can use this for any questions/information anyone has!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!
I haven't seen a thread for this years application cycle, does anyone know of one? if not we can use this for any questions/information anyone has!

Hi all, Good luck with this cycle! I am currently a first year at SJSU. If you have any questions feel free to message me. I'll try my best to respond.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I haven't seen a thread either! Thanks for creating one! Currently applying right now! Good luck!

Hi everyone! I am also applying this cycle.

My question is: does anyone know about how they receive their applications? I mailed mine last week with 2 day shipping but for a while it has been saying that it is at the San Jose post office and is "available for pickup", so I am not sure of SJSU picks it up from a PO box or if needs to be delivered to their door! Pls let me know :)

Anyway, good luck everyone!!

My question is: does anyone know about how they receive their applications? I mailed mine last week with 2 day shipping but for a while it has been saying that it is at the San Jose post office and is "available for pickup", so I am not sure of SJSU picks it up from a PO box or if needs to be delivered to their door! Pls let me know :)

Hi! I was in a similar situation where the tracking information said "picked up by individual at post office" so I do believe someone from SJSU goes and picks up the mail (and it just happened to be delivered on a day where they picked up the mail). With covid and people working remotely they probably don't pick up their mail every day. Maybe just keep checking and if it hasn't been picked up by the end of the week call the post office or the main SJSU office and ask about it.

I wanted to get some input on this situation that I am in. My application is ready to submit, but I am waiting on my last LOR from a professor. In early September I got the approval that she would write me a LOR. 1 week before the deadline (10/1) I sent a friendly reminder. 3 days before, I sent another reminder. 1 week later I got no response past the deadline and I was about to give up until I finally got a response last Friday (10/9). She apologized that she has been unreachable based on going through some health problem that has been eating her time, but she said it was nothing alarming. She said that she would write one by 10/12...and still no submission. I just sent another email today. As a backup, I sent a different professor an email for a LOR request and she approved, but I am so afraid that my 2nd professor would also forget or ghost me. Has anyone else dealt with this? I am so stressed that I won't be able to submit my application because I don't have one from a professor.

@aspiringOT21 and @catratgirl17 Regarding to the tracking, that happened to me last year and I freaked out. So basically this means your letter has reached their mailing room and it should be delivered to the department via campus mail. So what I did was confirm with the graduate assistant.

Hope that alleviates some worries. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I wanted to get some input on this situation that I am in. My application is ready to submit, but I am waiting on my last LOR from a professor. In early September I got the approval that she would write me a LOR. 1 week before the deadline (10/1) I sent a friendly reminder. 3 days before, I sent another reminder. 1 week later I got no response past the deadline and I was about to give up until I finally got a response last Friday (10/9). She apologized that she has been unreachable based on going through some health problem that has been eating her time, but she said it was nothing alarming. She said that she would write one by 10/12...and still no submission. I just sent another email today. As a backup, I sent a different professor an email for a LOR request and she approved, but I am so afraid that my 2nd professor would also forget or ghost me. Has anyone else dealt with this? I am so stressed that I won't be able to submit my application because I don't have one from a professor.

Hmmm that is quite stressful. When you say LOR is it for OTCAS? I mean if you have three, you should be able to submit and if the last two are strong, I don't think it would hurt to have two LOR from a professor. If I am not mistaken, it would just be pending in OTCAS and once they submit it should be finalized.

I would just make sure to communicate this with admissions so they know what to expect and perhaps advise what is the best option. Since we are currently in unprecedented times, I am sure it they would understand.

Good luck!

Hi! I'm in a similar situation about the documents sent to the OT department. I sent mine off on 10/5 with an expected delivery date of 10/8. The USPS tracking number still says "In transit, Arriving Late." I tried contacting the post office, but they don't have any further information. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

I’ve had this happen with a manager. I sent her the request back in the first week of September. I’ve seen her twice and talked to her about it. We text Atleast twice a week. I’ve reminded her 3 times and she still has yet to complete it. She completed half and didn’t submit. So i removed her off of the recommendations list

Hi! I'm in a similar situation about the documents sent to the OT department. I sent mine off on 10/5 with an expected delivery date of 10/8. The USPS tracking number still says "In transit, Arriving Late." I tried contacting the post office, but they don't have any further information. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

I did that as well and it was no use when I applied last year. Strongly suggest you contact the graduate assistant instead since they can give you a solid yes or no whether they received the packet. Since it is rolling admission, you don't want to wait more than you have to.

I did that as well and it was no use when I applied last year. Strongly suggest you contact the graduate assistant instead since they can give you a solid yes or no whether they received the packet. Since it is rolling admission, you don't want to wait more than you have to.
I went ahead and sent an email to the grad assistant on Monday, but I’m assuming she has hundreds of emails to keep up with. I’m hoping it’s in the SJSU mail department instead of USPS

Members don't see this ad :)
I went ahead and sent an email to the grad assistant on Monday, but I’m assuming she has hundreds of emails to keep up with. I’m hoping it’s in the SJSU mail department instead of USPS

Yes they r typically very swamped. More than likely they most likely received it. So don't stress too much. :)

I’ve had this happen with a manager. I sent her the request back in the first week of September. I’ve seen her twice and talked to her about it. We text Atleast twice a week. I’ve reminded her 3 times and she still has yet to complete it. She completed half and didn’t submit. So i removed her off of the recommendations list
After so many friendly reminders I finally received my 3rd LOR from my professor! I am ready to submit! Yay!

Hmmm that is quite stressful. When you say LOR is it for OTCAS? I mean if you have three, you should be able to submit and if the last two are strong, I don't think it would hurt to have two LOR from a professor. If I am not mistaken, it would just be pending in OTCAS and once they submit it should be finalized.

I would just make sure to communicate this with admissions so they know what to expect and perhaps advise what is the best option. Since we are currently in unprecedented times, I am sure it they would understand.

Good luck!
After many friendly reminders, I finally got my last LOR from my professor. Thank goodness, I can now submit my application!

Hi everyone! I applied a few weeks ago :) Like everyone, hoping I get in!

Hi! Did you ever hear back from the grad department? I sent my app in 10/06 but it still hasn't made it to the department :(

Hi! Did you ever hear back from the grad department? I sent my app in 10/06 but it still hasn't made it to the department :(
I heard back from the grad assistant that my application was finally delivered - USPS never updated my tracking, it still says "arriving late"

I'm assuming she checks the mail at least once a week so hopefully yours will be in this week's delivery :)

I tried SO hard to get my application in on Oct. 1st and thought I did, because my OTCAS and Cal State apps both were submitted that morning.
But I didn't realize the hard copy portion of the application (Evaluations, etc.) also needed to get there on the 1st to be timestamped as "oct. 1st". So actually mine was timestamped Oct. 6th according to the department (when the mailed in portion was received). Hopefully that's still early enough to have a good chance!

I tried SO hard to get my application in on Oct. 1st and thought I did, because my OTCAS and Cal State apps both were submitted that morning.
But I didn't realize the hard copy portion of the application (Evaluations, etc.) also needed to get there on the 1st to be timestamped as "oct. 1st". So actually mine was timestamped Oct. 6th according to the department (when the mailed in portion was received). Hopefully that's still early enough to have a good chance!

That is still pretty early I wouldn't sweat it. I turned mine in 10/30 and got in last year.

Where do you see "Referred to Grad Department" on the portal? The only thing I see is "Incomplete - Documents Required" since I haven't sent my official transcripts to GAPE yet since they don't need them until February and that doesn't hold up the OT department from reviewing the application. Maybe you already sent in your official transcripts?

Where do you see "Referred to Grad Department" on the portal? The only thing I see is "Incomplete - Documents Required" since I haven't sent my official transcripts to GAPE yet since they don't need them until February and that doesn't hold up the OT department from reviewing the application. Maybe you already sent in your official transcripts?
so at the bottom of the home screen there is an admissions tab, click on view admission status and there it will tell you. I did send my transcripts in already so that's the only reason it says referred to grad dept probably. Oh wow I didn't know that you only need to send it by February whoops haha.

That is still pretty early I wouldn't sweat it. I turned mine in 10/30 and got in last year.

Ok! Yeah I won't stress about it. Nothing I can do about it now.
Would you mind sharing your stats? How do you like the program so far? Did classes change to online when COVID started?

Ok! Yeah I won't stress about it. Nothing I can do about it now.
Would you mind sharing your stats? How do you like the program so far? Did classes change to online when COVID started?

Below are my stats (I know not the strongest...)

Major: Public Health Sciences
GPA: 3.70
GRE: 155V, 149 Q, 4.0 AWA
Volunteer:
-80 Research Lab (Shadowing OT)
-100 Neurofeedback Tech (During Undergrad Practicum)
-121 Pediatric Clinic
-25 Animal Assisted Therapy
-112 Hand Therapy Clinic

I love it so far, everyone (classmates, professors...) are so supportive and understanding which is nice. Online classes are a challenge for me as I feel like I have to make much more effort than if I were to be just in person classes. I listen better in person as well.

Good luck to you guys! :)

Below are my stats (I know not the strongest...)

Major: Public Health Sciences
GPA: 3.70
GRE: 155V, 149 Q, 4.0 AWA
Volunteer:
-80 Research Lab (Shadowing OT)
-100 Neurofeedback Tech (During Undergrad Practicum)
-121 Pediatric Clinic
-25 Animal Assisted Therapy
-112 Hand Therapy Clinic

I love it so far, everyone (classmates, professors...) are so supportive and understanding which is nice. Online classes are a challenge for me as I feel like I have to make much more effort than if I were to be just in person classes. I listen better in person as well.

Good luck to you guys! :)

Great! Thanks for sharing. Also, did they call you for an interview? Or did they just accept you without one?

so at the bottom of the home screen there is an admissions tab, click on view admission status and there it will tell you. I did send my transcripts in already so that's the only reason it says referred to grad dept probably. Oh wow I didn't know that you only need to send it by February whoops haha.
Hello! Also, make sure to check your "To-do list" and "Messages". I was asked to submit information about when I submitted my transcripts so that they can match it to my application. The status then changed to "Referred to Grad Department"

Hi there! I am a second year OT student at USC (but I also applied to SJSU and got in), and I am writing a blog about my application experience! I know it is past the deadline for applications, but I have my stats on there and other information that might be helpful if anyone is interested! Also if you have any questions I'd love to answer them on there! My blog is: OT with Bethany

Hi, is it true that they don't need the GAPE application until February? I was under the same impression, so haven't submitted my GAPE application yet (sent in my OT app on 10/1), but just had a slight freak out that it's delaying my application review process. Where did you get that information? I must've seen it somewhere too, or else I wouldn't have been so lax about submitting the graduate admissions app. Thanks!

Hi, is it true that they don't need the GAPE application until February? I was under the same impression, so haven't submitted my GAPE application yet (sent in my OT app on 10/1), but just had a slight freak out that it's delaying my application review process. Where did you get that information? I must've seen it somewhere too, or else I wouldn't have been so lax about submitting the graduate admissions app. Thanks!

I had heard that somewhere (I forgot where) but I emailed the grad assistant to make sure. She said "You have until February 1st to send in all of your needed materials to GAPE. We do begin reviewing your application independently of the GAPE application." So I don't think there's any rush for the GAPE app.

I had heard that somewhere (I forgot where) but I emailed the grad assistant to make sure. She said "You have until February 1st to send in all of your needed materials to GAPE. We do begin reviewing your application independently of the GAPE application." So I don't think there's any rush for the GAPE app.
Thank you!! Whew!

Are there are any reapplicants? I emailed the grad department late September who told me I was good to go with my app from last year (I just provided a new personal statement) and submitted OTCAS and GAPE before and on October 1st. My profile says incomplete/missing documents. Any other reapplicants having this problem?

Hi everyone! I finished Cal State Apply recently, but I don't have a my SJSU profile... This is probably a dumb question but I'm just wondering how do I get one? Do I have to wait a couple days for a confirmation to sign up? Thanks and good luck to everyone! :)

Last edited:
I haven't, but I know someone who was accepted to the program two years ago and she heard back around new years day. She said she was part of the "early crowd" also... so I'm assuming we wont hear back until then?

I haven't, but I know someone who was accepted to the program two years ago and she heard back around new years day. She said she was part of the "early crowd" also... so I'm assuming we wont hear back until then?
I heard from the graduate admissions assistant that "We typically send out notices beginning the end of November through the end of March. We notify you through both email and mail."

Reactions: 2 users
I heard from the graduate admissions assistant that "We typically send out notices beginning the end of November through the end of March. We notify you through both email and mail."
If it helps, for us last year it was typically January (early crowd) and one in December (re-applicant I believe). As for the others, most were accepted in Feb (the ones who turn in their apps in Oct and since I submitted mine late October, I didn't hear back until mid-March.

Hope that helps!

I just received an acceptance email from SJSU last night! I will be declining because I've already committed to CSUDH so hopefully one of you lovely future OTs will take my spot. :) I turned in my physical application packet on Oct 1st and because I kind of messed up my OTCAS app (I didn't have it verified yet because SJSU was the first app I turned in through OTCAS), my application was timestamped for Oct 3rd. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I received an acceptance email as well and am going to accept! Woo!! Hope to see some of you there!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! I also received a provisional acceptance email last night (my time stamp was Oct. 1). I have accepted the seat, being that SJSU was the only school I applied to. ◡̈ Wishing you all good luck! Excited for you.