Single doc chart rounds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray D. Ayshun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a single ruralish doc. I'm wondering what others are doing re volume/plan review. I'm able to hit this place up, mednet, and those who trained me for general advice. Is that good enough, more or less, for others in my situation, or is anyone looking for a more official, scheduled chart rounds discussion in order to have an extra set of eyes on cases?

Members don't see this ad.

I would at least look into having a scheduled chart rounds with somebody just to avoid the pigeon-holing that is likely more commonplace without chart rounds. But I'm saying that as someone who went to residency and then went to a place with a robust chart rounds, so YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would at least look into having a scheduled chart rounds with somebody just to avoid the pigeon-holing that is likely more commonplace without chart rounds. But I'm saying that as someone who went to residency and then went to a place with a robust chart rounds, so YMMV.
Don't disagree. Would love to, just wondering what the mechanism is, what kind of hippa issues there may be with doing a zoom with An outside doc. Iow, if anyone's doing this, or if anyone is wants to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That's admirable - our hospital bought smaller rad onc practices and set it up so they do chart rounds as well. Some questionable/fundamental problems with basic contours from the solo doc/small practice.

Just 2 examples, 1 was using post op prostate constraints for an intact case, another was treating prostate + pelvis but stopped nodal volumes at S2, and quote "I was looking at e-contour". Credit to them, don't really have an ego and are changing their practice/want to learn. But it gave me a new respect for chart rounds.

Reactions: 1 users
Chart rounds during my lifetime has been so useless that I envy your situation a little bit

Would love to free up 1 hour of my life

Don't disagree. Would love to, just wondering what the mechanism is, what kind of hippa issues there may be with doing a zoom with An outside doc. Iow, if anyone's doing this, or if anyone is wants to.

I hear ya. Sorry I don't have better input. Those who consider chart rounds boring... that's a good thing. Boring should be the norm for most cases. Not to say every case has something wrong but there's definitely things to optimize if one actually cares.

another was treating prostate + pelvis but stopped nodal volumes at S2, and quote "I was looking at e-contour".
That's pretty great, you would think the generation that lived and died by knowing what bones to look at for their rectangles would at least know where to start the volumes.

To be fair, I don't know how well I'd handle teaching myself to contour if I trained in the 90s and went into private practice.