Navy Sign up now for GMO IP if you graduated from residency in 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grotto

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got word that people who just graduated from residency (2017) should sign up for GMO incentive pay now. In Octoberish, when the Navadmin comes out, you will then transition to the rate that you get for your specialty. You have 30 days to sign up, back dated pay to 1July or whenever you graduated from residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got word that people who just graduated from residency (2017) should sign up for GMO incentive pay now. In Octoberish, when the Navadmin comes out, you will then transition to the rate that you get for your specialty. You have 30 days to sign up, back dated pay to 1July or whenever you graduated from residency.

Did you get this in any sort of official message? That doesn't really make much sense in the way things are written and I haven't seen anything of the sort come out from official channels.

I wouldn't say anything is impossible these days given the current disarray of special pays, but if you have something official then I highly recommend you either link to it or attach it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes, its official. It is the BUMED guidance on the FY2017 Navadmin. I'm signing the paperwork on Monday.

I don't have any official documents other than our special pays person, who works about 750 feet from BUMED, telling me to come to her office to sign the paperwork.

Seems like a fair deal considering that people used to get ASP right when they graduated.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like a fair deal considering that people used to get ASP right when they graduated.

"Fair" was likely not in their vocabulary when creating this new pay system. I'm out about $36k due to the new system and some are out more than that. I'm glad to see that they are doing this for you guys, but will be interesting to see how it actually works out. I attempted to sign under the old rules this year and was denied. They would have to be signing you guys under the old rules to make this work because you can't sign for any bonuses until 90 days after a change in your status under the new system.

I'll have to see what's sitting in my inbox on Monday!

I'm sorry for your troubles, sounds like you got a bad deal with the new program.

I signed the paperwork this morning for GMO incentive pay (20000 dollars per year paid monthly with back pay to July 1st 2017). I brought my residency graduation certificate. When the Navadmin comes out in Oct/Dec, I will then submit paperwork for my specialty's IP and board certification pay. Moving to the new IP system while I was in residency made me a little more money (666/month vs 500) and also made it easier to apply further bonuses as there is no switch to be made with DFAS (per special pays the reason that many payments are delayed). People who haven't switched to the new system (i.e. are still getting VSP, ASP, etc) may have issues.

I was told by my special pays person that this is Navy only - the army has chosen to apply the new IP rules per your link above.

Trying to get the info out there so people who are at far flung places can contact their special pays people and get what they are owed. YMMV.

Last edited:
Saw an official email from Navy Special Pays that was released today.

Navy folks go get your money! You only have 30 days to sign it.

Does anyone know if the same applies for the Army? The above poster was referring to the specialty IP pay that we sign 3 months after residency, but can Army also apply for GMO IP pay for that 3 month period?